Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree3Likes

Old 06-30-2014, 11:18 AM   #31
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
They're too much faster up front to be taken seriously as a race tire. Expensive and .2 faster in the first 1-3 runs makes them a non-choice.
Carpet, or asphalt ?

Wonder how well the Solaris SP35-EX works on carpet, feels like a 28 as far as grip and wear on asphalt
Anyone tried that ?

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 11:50 AM   #32
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX View Post
Carpet, or asphalt ?

Wonder how well the Solaris SP35-EX works on carpet, feels like a 28 as far as grip and wear on asphalt
Anyone tried that ?
It sounds like their longevity is definitely surface dependent. I ran the new SC35-EX tires this past weekend and practiced on the set pictured for approximately 20 minutes on Friday night and all day Saturday. In total, I have 90+ actual driving minutes on this set:

The pic details a groove from the front right tire, but lap times never suffered (All runs were made on the Awesomatix A700 Evo).

It sounds as if the Camarillo track and Saturday's heat didn't work out too well for the SCs, but there are also 40s.

Last edited by Gridworks Racing; 08-10-2014 at 12:00 PM.
Gridworks Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 12:33 PM   #33
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridworks Racing View Post
It sounds like their longevity is definitely surface dependent. I ran the new SC35-EX tires this past weekend and practiced on the set pictured for approximately 20 minutes on Friday night and all day Saturday. In total, I have 90+ actual driving minutes on this set:

It sounds as if the Camarillo track and Saturday's heat didn't work out too well for the SCs, but there are also 40s.
The 40's would definitely be worth a test
tbh, Sorex 32 have better wear than SP35-EX at Cam, it wasn't even hot this year

Last year at the Big Fat, we saw 180F+ track temps

Some guys were running Sweep Reedy tires, they didn't show much wear, but also didn't have much grip

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 12:38 PM   #34
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX View Post
The 40's would definitely be worth a test
tbh, Sorex 32 have better wear than SP35-EX at Cam, it wasn't even hot this year

Last year at the Big Fat, we saw 180F+ track temps

Some guys were running Sweep Reedy tires, they didn't show much wear, but also didn't have much grip
Yeah, I tried a new set of the Reedy Sweeps and quickly removed them. I am really surprised at the wear of the Solaris. I just got the 40s, and may need to take a trip up to Cam myself and test them all (Sorex included). It has been far too long since I've been up there anyway.

Is the onroad track open on Saturdays? I'd be willing to help prep or whatever else would be necessary.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:13 PM   #35
Tech Apprentice

Default Traction compound

For those of you running on asphalt, what, if any, tire compounds are you finding useful? I have been using SXT 1.0 and find that I get what appear to be micro tears around the circumference of the tire. Not really sure if that is normal or not but it does not appear to be hurting the performance at all.
AzFittin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 11:25 PM   #36
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Could be track conditions rather than traction compounds causing the marbling you seem to be describing.

Other compounds I like are Tire Tweak from Trinity for asphalt. If outdoors, Buggy grip from time to time.

Last edited by trigger; 07-03-2014 at 11:53 PM.
trigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 11:55 PM   #37
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger View Post
Could be track conditions rather than traction compound choices causing the marbling you seem to be describing.

Other compounds I like are Tire Tweak from Trinity for asphalt. If outdoors, Buggy grip from time to time.
Marbling, that is a great way of putting it. The track is outdoors, local car dealership's lot sprayed with soda, and I have noticed that the marbling is worse on the lower temp tires. Depending upon the time of year I run between 24 - 36 tires.
Old 07-04-2014, 12:20 AM   #38
Tech Master

Sounds about right. I get the same on an outdoor soda prepped track early in the day but when there's a lot of traffic and grip comes up, the marbling goes away completely in the groove. Drive outside of the groove and the marbles may return.
Old 07-04-2014, 09:19 AM   #39
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger View Post
Sounds about right. I get the same on an outdoor soda prepped track early in the day but when there's a lot of traffic and grip comes up, the marbling goes away completely in the groove. Drive outside of the groove and the marbles may return.
Good to know, thanks!
Old 10-18-2015, 08:43 PM   #40
Tech Elite

I found out some interesting information about Sorex tires. As you know the Sorex logo is built into the sidewall of the tire. If you're building your own tires it is very important to keep note of which way the sidewall is facing. In Japan, you usually build and make your own tires to suit the track conditions. Each track usually has a club setup, wheels, inserts and tires.

I ended up building up some Sorex tires with two logos facing inward and outward. The car handled like crap. Even though I was running an identical setup I still wasn't able to keep up with the rest of the guys. Afterwards I gave my car to one of the fast guys to inspect and see what changes would be necessary. He looked over it and said everything looks good. Then he looked at the tires and his eyes opened up wide. He said I built the tires the wrong way.

For maximum performance the tire logo should be facing out. This will give you maximum traction. However, I built the tires where 2 were facing in and out. So I was getting maximum traction on opposite corners and not enough on the others. No wonder the car felt broken.

He explained to me in Japanese with a mix of broken English that the mesh carcass can only work in one direction. You must build the tires with the logos facing out for the mesh carcass to work properly. There you have it.
Antimullet likes this.
EDWARD2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 09:07 PM   #41
OVA
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDWARD2003 View Post
I found out some interesting information about Sorex tires. As you know the Sorex logo is built into the sidewall of the tire. If you're building your own tires it is very important to keep note of which way the sidewall is facing. In Japan, you usually build and make your own tires to suit the track conditions. Each track usually has a club setup, wheels, inserts and tires.

I ended up building up some Sorex tires with two logos facing inward and outward. The car handled like crap. Even though I was running an identical setup I still wasn't able to keep up with the rest of the guys. Afterwards I gave my car to one of the fast guys to inspect and see what changes would be necessary. He looked over it and said everything looks good. Then he looked at the tires and his eyes opened up wide. He said I built the tires the wrong way.

For maximum performance the tire logo should be facing out. This will give you maximum traction. However, I built the tires where 2 were facing in and out. So I was getting maximum traction on opposite corners and not enough on the others. No wonder the car felt broken.

He explained to me in Japanese with a mix of broken English that the mesh carcass can only work in one direction. You must build the tires with the logos facing out for the mesh carcass to work properly. There you have it.

It is good to know
btw I always built all brands tires logo facing out ..
Old 07-30-2017, 01:54 AM   #42
Tech Regular

Can someone recommend a Sorex tire for bashing on concrete and asphalt? I'm running a 1/8 with a Castle 2200kV motor on 4S.

Thanks!
Old 07-30-2017, 06:29 AM   #43
Tech Fanatic

Sorex only makes tires for 1/10th scale Touring Cars..
RobS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 02:59 PM   #44
Tech Fanatic

Which tyre aditive is best to use on sorex tyres? Or what should I trie?
Geberit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 03:15 PM   #45
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geberit View Post
Which tyre aditive is best to use on sorex tyres? Or what should I trie?
for outdoor pretty much any oil-based additive works just fine, i actually clean them off with brake cleaner then spray wd-40 on a paper towel wipe on the tires and let it sit until race time
Slo_E4 likes this.
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote