R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-23-2005, 01:41 AM   #1
Tech Regular

Default Advantage/Disadvantage of going to higher MaH Batteries

Hi, I see intellect 3800 are the highest rated capacity batteries to get....

are there any disadvantages of getting a large capacity battery other than cost and extra weight?

p.s i want to use for racing....

thanks
noobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 01:59 AM   #2
Tech Master

The only disadvantage I can think of is longer charging times...

Then again...The advantage really outweighs the disadvantage. As more Capacity= more power as suggested by Power=Voltage x Amperage
So a higher capacity cell will have higher overall power over a lower capacity cell over the discharge curve.

Maybe your 3300 cells will feel a little soft nearing the 5 min mark.But a 3700 for example will still feel strong even near the 5 mark.
Ben.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 02:17 AM   #3
Tech Regular

any truth in that 3800 give less "punch"?

Last edited by noobie; 08-23-2005 at 02:32 AM.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:45 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Increasing the capasity, by nature also increases the internal resistance. Meaning less punch, or ability to deliver all those nice amps NOW.

However, sometimes new larger cells still have low IR/good punch. That's because the thecnicians made some tricks to keep the IR low. However, this is not an easy task, since they have to overcome the laws of nature.

Probably GP3300 has been popular for such a long time, since they have that great balance between voltage, IR and capasity. And at a reasonably price.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:16 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Capacity is not the only thing you need to look at. You also have to know which battery delivers the power best.

GP3700s, for instance, are still the choice of most pro racers as they deliver the best all around performance.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 12:45 PM   #6
Tech Addict

"GP3700s, for instance, are still the choice of most pro racers"

1. "pro racers", In what major events are they legal?

2. Tech question- Is there some way of getting more power out of a battery faster. Theoretically the ideal would be if my battery was totally drained at the end of the race.
imjonah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 03:16 PM   #7
Tech Adept

We have found the IB3800's and GP3700's to both be race-worthy cells. Anyone can be competitive with either cell. Our comprehensive testing has shown the IB's to perform slightly better than the GP's, but they are both very good. We are not biased towards one or the other, as we carry both brands.

Quote:
2. Tech question- Is there some way of getting more power out of a battery faster. Theoretically the ideal would be if my battery was totally drained at the end of the race.
The batteries we use in our cars today are capable of supplying much more current to the motor than what the present motors draw. In my opinion, battery technology has surpassed motor technology (as far as in the RC industry). The only way to "get more power out of the battery" is to draw more current, and that means better motors. Brushed motor technology is falling behind the capabilities of the new cells from Intellect and GP. ROAR limitations are probably the number one reason why brushed motors are not keeping up with battery technology. I am not saying the rules are completely bad - they keep prices relatively low. Hope that answers your question.
BobbyDoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 05:47 PM   #8
Tech Regular

hey bobby...

for a Sport Tuned Black Can 540 (for my mini) what battery would you recommend for 5 minute races.

Would there be any advantage gained from using Intellect 3800's?

I want to get the best advantage I can.... even if minimal and dont mind paying for it....

thanks
Old 08-23-2005, 06:42 PM   #9
Tech Adept

As with running any motor in any class, better batteries equal better performance. I would imagine this would be very evident in a class using the Tamiya spec motors.

The best way to get a power advantage (in any class, with any motor) is having good batteries and a well-maintained motor. Since you cannot take the Tamiya motor apart (I assume?), it would be wise to stock up on a few new ones that you can switch to when you really need that extra edge. I would have the new motors dynoed, or test them on the track to make sure they all perform well and possibly find the best one of the bunch.

If you are looking for the highest advantage, I would simply get the best batteries you can afford. You may try buying one or two, just to see how much of a difference they make compared to the ones you are using now. Make sure you take care of them properly - a discharger, equalizing tray, and a quality charger/power supply should be used when you are dealing with expensive batteries.

If you are interested in our cells, you CAN order them. Unfortunately the uber-fancy website and graphics are still in the works, but we are starting to have cells available now. We carry IB3800's, GP3700's, and GP3300's. We do not use the CE Turbomatcher to "match" the cells. We have our own designed-and-built machines, and we match cells on different parameters compared to what has become the "industry standard". In addition, we have an exclusive cell-enhancing process which was also designed in-house. I know you have heard "Exclusive Cell Enhancing Process!!" before, but the results on our cells speak for themselves. We already have testimonials from various racers (even BOAT racers) which only confirm our own testing and results.

Anyway, I hope some of this info was helpful to you. You'll have the fastest Mini on the track in no time.
Old 08-24-2005, 07:11 AM   #10
Tech Addict

Default Repeat

GP3700s, for instance, are still the choice of most pro racers"

In what major events are 3700/3800 legal?
How is running a 3800mah ok but running a 7 cell pack cheating?

I think there is a potential problem if we start having ROAR 'legal' equipment and local club allowed equipment. If it is ok to run quad magnet stock motors then why shouldn't I be allowed to replace bushings with bearings. How is running a 3800mah ok but running a 7 cell pack cheating?
Old 08-25-2005, 02:50 PM   #11
Tech Adept

Quote:
How is running a 3800mah ok but running a 7 cell pack cheating?
There is a difference between capacity and voltage. A 7 cell pack would have higher voltage compared to a 6 cell pack, no matter what capacity the cells are rated for.
Old 08-25-2005, 04:55 PM   #12
Tech Addict

Default I guess my point is

How is running a 3800mah ok but running a 7 cell pack cheating

I guess my point is........ You can not be a little bit pregnant.

If the rules say 3300 then a 3800 is just as outlaw as 7 cells.

Sort of a moot point if your track does not care.

I just wish 8 minute or 10 minute heats would catch on, so we could really use the full potential of these cells.
Old 08-25-2005, 07:01 PM   #13
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
How is running a 3800mah ok but running a 7 cell pack cheating
6 cell 3300 mha= [email protected]
7 cell 3300 mha= [email protected]

Gp3700 are legal for almost all big races. IB3800 not YET. When a new cell is released, guys like EFRA and norrca take their time to analise cells and decide if their are legal or not
Itchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 07:12 PM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Nobody has answered the question about weight.

For Tamiya silver can motors and 5 minute races, is the extra power of say a 3300 mAh worth the extra weight compared to a 1900 or 2400 mAh?

More power is fine, but what about power to weight ratio. Is it worth carrying around the extra weight to have power you will never use in a 5 minute race?

Thanks for any thoughts.
Hawk6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 07:17 PM   #15
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itchy
6 cell 3300 mha= [email protected]
7 cell 3300 mha= [email protected]

Gp3700 are legal for almost all big races. IB3800 not YET. When a new cell is released, guys like EFRA and norrca take their time to analise cells and decide if their are legal or not

does IB3800 refer to intellect 3800? coz the intellect 3800 are listed in the IFMAR approved batteries list at 2005.

which races are the IB3800 not legal?