R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-24-2005, 02:00 PM   #16
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Jam-ehz

For the cutoff, the Novak Smart Tray is pretty well it, or the Much More Cell Discharger coming in a while... You can tell it when to stop at a certain voltage. Otherwise, regular charger/dischargers or lightbulbs with a relay will bring your whole pack down to 5.4V and stop, but will not equalize.

The rest of the trays will just have an LED to indicate when each cell is discharged, but won't actually stop until it hits 0 volts or you take the cells off the unit.

The Zero-V Tray, for example, is specifically used for equalizing and prepping the cells for a full Step-Charging cycle, where you want the batteries to start from a fully discharged state.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:05 PM   #17
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adr3naline fix
after reading a few things on dischargers I am so confused.

Can someone point me to a inexpensive discharger that will cut off at a safe point for my GP3300's?

these things All discharge AND equalize right?
No, they don't. Some just discharge at higher amps (20-30), while the equalizing trays mostly discharge at lower amps (@5). Integy has an equalizing try with a 30 Amp discharge, BUT it doesn't cutoff at 0.9 volts (and 30 amps isn't too good for cell longevity). A good, inexpensive discharger that also equalizes the cells down to 0.9 volts is the DuraTrax 20 Amp Discharger. Tower Hobbies carries it for $44.99.
RandomFellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 05:49 PM   #18
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Jam-ehz

And even the Duratrax one you have to watch out for, or else it'll bring them down to 0V anyway.. it's just 'indicates' they're done.

There must be some low-voltage relays that will cut off at .9 or lower.. I'm going to play with some 6V ones to discharge a 4-cell pack down to 3.6V, as my regular 12V relay only does the 6-cell packs.
Old 08-24-2005, 07:42 PM   #19
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to adr3naline fix

i really dont want to have to watch them closely but if I have to to keep the price of this thing down then I will

Look at this thing

http://cgi.ebay.com/RDLogics-Alum-Ni...QQcmdZViewItem
adr3naline fix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 07:59 PM   #20
Tech Apprentice

or what about thos Integy ZERO-EQUALIZER DISCHARGE boards?

They are cheap as hell........very attractive...
Old 08-24-2005, 08:52 PM   #21
Tech Regular

It really all depends on what you need the discharger to do. For example, my charger discharges at 10 amps, which I find to be sufficient. So, all I really need is an equalizer tray with low-amp discharge, which is a Novak Smart Tray (which I love, btw). See, NiMH batteries really don't need to be cycled like we use to do with Ni-Cds. Just charge them and go. What helps, though, is equalizing the cells before charging. And, if you've got a pack that's still got half a charge, you may be waiting awhile for it to get down to 0.9 volts/cell.

So, I guess what you need to ask yourself is "What do I need?" AND, pay close attention to how the batteries are secured in the tray. Those thumbscrews (like the RDLogics you're asking about) are a real pain!
Old 08-24-2005, 08:58 PM   #22
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by adr3naline fix
or what about thos Integy ZERO-EQUALIZER DISCHARGE boards?

They are cheap as hell........very attractive...
Those trays discharge the batteries down to 0.0 volts. Some batteries' voltages respond well to this, at the cost of runtime. At your stage (and since you're buying your own batteries), I wouldn't mess with dead-shorting (running the batteries down to 0.0 volts). Look for a discharger that cuts out at 0.9 volts.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:36 PM   #23
Tech Apprentice

I just had a VERY long converstaon with Integy about reversal problems and cutt offs.

It is not bad to discharge a 6 cell pack to 0.0v when on the tray as compared to just discharing it through on positive and negative plug. When discharging all the cells induvidually they cannot reversed. I also learned almost everything about anything on the discharges and ruitines and ..............my brain just overflowed/.

At this point I have a lot of confiedence in my knowledge about dischargers.........LOL