R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-04-2014, 10:39 AM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePanda View Post
A dozen?

Do any of those cars come with that feeling that you only get from a tamiya model? Plus the nicest shocks out there for rc.
Maybe you get a warm fuzzy feeling, but I do not.

Plastics either too soft or too brittle, soft aluminum. Overpriced. Cheaper models using wood screws, friction shocks and no bearings. I have very little respect for Tamiya. They do have some great racers on their team and they support those racers well, but their products are sub par for the price you pay.
locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 09:32 PM   #17
Tech Elite

The TA06 is needlessly complicated and I would assume (without personal experience, I admit) quite heavy. The TRF shocks only come in the -R kit, not the run of the mill kits and so on. For my money, the current Yokomo BD7 RS is better by a country mile out of the box at similar price. In the same class is the Xray entry level car (don't know what it's called anymore, T2R or something?), and I think other manufacturers have their own versions as well. Plus there another bunch of racers aimed at the top end market segment from new companies such as CSO, 3Racing, etc. with prices at about half of those of top established major companies.

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.

Last edited by niznai; 06-04-2014 at 09:43 PM.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 09:36 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by locked View Post
Maybe you get a warm fuzzy feeling, but I do not.

Plastics either too soft or too brittle, soft aluminum. Overpriced. Cheaper models using wood screws, friction shocks and no bearings. I have very little respect for Tamiya. They do have some great racers on their team and they support those racers well, but their products are sub par for the price you pay.
That is a bit harsh. You can get a Tamiya XB mini here (australia) for just over 200A$ and we are not the cheapest place on earth to say the very least. That means you can go racing in five minutes with a car that is basically no worse than a top of the range mini (you need to change the tires though, so factor in another 30$). And yes, I have a few minis upgraded with all the factory Tamiya bits (which are expensive indeed ) and it makes bugger all difference. They look shiny though.

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:48 AM   #19
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

If you're not that serious driver just looking for fun, the brand wouldn't that matter. HPI will do.
But if you look to improve on your driving to be competitive and look to learn more on setttings, go find out what they drive in your local track and check on part support first. Then invest money on the car of your choice.
It all depends on your budget, how far you are willing to go and your driving skill.