R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-30-2014, 07:56 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default ungodly steering play

Hey guys, I have some serious steering play issues that I can't seem to fix.

I have replaced all cups with new ones, bearings are seated correctly. Not sure what else it could be?

Here is a short video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmCmsP6lg1Q

Thanks!
natious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 08:05 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I see a ton of play at the end of the long arm coming in from the right side of the screen.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:08 PM   #3
Tech Master

Start by not checkin the way you're doing it. Start out by. The servo pivot points. The firt pivot looks like. The ball is loose. From the servo you may have to lengthen the rod. Go from one end to the other . .
Geezatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 08:13 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Besides the loose ball cups, the angle of the tie rods to the steering block is a major source of play. If the links were straighter much of the play would be reduced.

Ball ends can be shimmed with some plastic bagging if desired.

Another thought. If the bearings have up/down play, possibly they can be shimmed to reduce this.

RC Excitement: Fitchburg, MA | RC Madness: Enfield, CT | Horsham RC
samnelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 08:25 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

i was going to suggest that lever on the steering servo side appears to need some shimming. and the ball looks loose as suggested in prior post. check there.
dragonracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 11:11 PM   #6
Tech Master

What model is that, doesn't look familiar.
Old 05-31-2014, 12:13 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Wow. I think you should start by buying another car. That's an unholy mother of a crap design steering. I mean where do you even start? The bump steer (once you fix all that play if at all possible) is going to be horrendous. Maybe you're not even supposed to get rid of that play. How does the car go now? Does it go where you point it?

If you really want to start somewhere, shim all those bearings as suggested earlier. The bell crank on the RH side of the car shows clear and humongous play in the bearings. Then you can check the ball cups/ball joints and make a call. Test the car as you go along but like I said above, those tie rod angles are completely wrong, are you sure you have everything the right way around?

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 12:15 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

it kinda looks like a drift car. so i dont think bump steer would affect anything. but yeah what kind of car is it?
dragonracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 03:24 AM   #9
Tech Addict

from what i can see its all loose,the cross brace is floppy so is the tie rod connection to the servo,this is easy stuff to fix,just needs a bit of time checking it over and tightening the loose ball joints
Old 05-31-2014, 09:41 PM   #10
Tech Initiate

Hi everyone, I took all your suggestions and seemed to have fixed most the play. I'll post another video for your opinions.

It's a ta06 converted to front mount motor drift car.

Thanks again!
Old 05-31-2014, 11:00 PM   #11
Tech Master

FWD Drift!!! I don't think you'll be happy on that configuration. I'm not into Drifting. RC 4WD Drifting, I see it skating then drifting, just an illusion of Drifting. Just my opinion. Have fun with it anyway. Good luck.
Old 06-01-2014, 03:20 AM   #12
Tech Initiate

Oh, it's still 4wd or rwd, just the motor is mounted in the front for better weight distribution. Thanks
Old 06-01-2014, 04:09 AM   #13
Tech Fanatic

Remove all the links and start to check the play in each aluminum item. I suspect you have radial play in your bearings... Are they cheap chinese bearings?
Airwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:26 AM   #14
Tech Master

It looks all funky to me. Tie-rod should be str8 like to crossover bar. Crossoverbar looks like it hits the right bulkhead on full right turns. For a FWD it sucks!! Steering looks better on the FF-03 models. That steering assembly may be assemble incorrectly. Or the camera angle makes it squirrely, and light makes the rtside pivot(Hexscrew) wobble. Is there a bushing, or bearing, if its a bearing should be 2 bearing, top and bottom next to chassis. Better yet bushing top and bottom. Aluminum and steel Balls should be Loctite on, not metal to composite. Try a different configuration on steering assembly,cuz it really does not look normal

I don't know how others feel, but it is my opinion. Good Luck!!
Old 06-01-2014, 01:19 PM   #15
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezatec View Post
It looks all funky to me. Tie-rod should be str8 like to crossover bar. Crossoverbar looks like it hits the right bulkhead on full right turns. For a FWD it sucks!! Steering looks better on the FF-03 models. That steering assembly may be assemble incorrectly. Or the camera angle makes it squirrely, and light makes the rtside pivot(Hexscrew) wobble. Is there a bushing, or bearing, if its a bearing should be 2 bearing, top and bottom next to chassis. Better yet bushing top and bottom. Aluminum and steel Balls should be Loctite on, not metal to composite. Try a different configuration on steering assembly,cuz it really does not look normal

I don't know how others feel, but it is my opinion. Good Luck!!
Its not FWD. Its front motor conversion--meaning the motor is now mounted towards the front of the car as most serious RC drift cars are. The steering tie rods are very short as thats how most high end drift chassis are set up-- it seems to work better. I think the slop is fine--the short links and the severe angles of the links seem to excacerbate it. I myself am not into RC drifting but I can appreciate good engineering/building.

Tamiya 419x/Associated TC7.1/Sanwa M12s/Xpert servos
d16dcoe45 is offline   Reply With Quote