R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-21-2005, 09:23 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default CONFUSION

sorry for this dumb question but i cannot decide really....NItro or electric on road?

Which would come out cheaper???? At first glance electric looks cheaper since the motors are relatively cheaper than nitro engines but the chargers, batteries, Escs? How often are you supposed to replace these? What are the maintainance issues if any?

Thanks for the enlightenment! I am leaning towards electric but I just want to be sure...
whirlydick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 09:25 PM   #2
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

when it's all said and done they are both about the same. Electric is a little easier for a noob since you don't have a engine to tune.
newracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 09:39 PM   #3
Tech Master

If you are into bashing...Electric would be good...

But if you're into serious racing next time. Then can only tell you that racing is not cheap...It never was...So the cost of running an electric or nitro car will come to about the same.

Really depends on what you like.And if you have a track around your area,go see is your track is a eletric dominated or nitro dominated track. Like for me,my track is strictly only for electric.
Ben.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 09:50 PM   #4
KoE
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to KoE

if you fancy the noise (nitro ppl call it melody ) by all means go for nitro. tuning electric motors ain't that easy either LOL! For bashing...factory settings are already good, just read the manual carefully.
Old 08-22-2005, 09:54 AM   #5
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the response guys. Well, there are indeed a few tracks within my area and I would say it is 60% electric touring dominated. Just a question, why are the motors so much cheaper that nitro engines? In what aspect does the cost of electric RCs catch up with Nitro? It seems an electric motor isn't that expensive, coupled with an average Esc...it is still cheaper. And for nitro you must keep buying expensive fuel! would you change your electric batteries as often as a gallon of fuel?
Old 08-22-2005, 11:57 AM   #6
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to adr3naline fix

porfessionals will change batteries VERY often but if your not a 100% racer and dont have a whole lot of money there is no way you will be buying new batteries per every gallon of fuel.

They do not wear down that fast at all.
adr3naline fix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 02:11 PM   #7
Tech Master

to power a nitro car you need an engine, fuel, and ignitor
to power an electric car you need a motor, batteries, esc, and a charger

both are about the same cost
newracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 05:09 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

a couple of key questions you should ask yourself
1: what climate do i live in? If winter months are more than summer months then racing electric would provide more useful as long as you have a club that races on carpet in the winter, and then you can still use the electric in the summer.
2: what do you want to get out of the sport? back yard bashin or competative racing? either will open the door to both styles of racing.

if you go electric and are bashin around the streets batteries. if taken care of will last for years the only draw back from electric bashin is when your packs run out of juice it takes 20-40min to recharge pending on the size of the packs. could loose interest just my 2cents
kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 09:45 PM   #9
Tech Initiate

I was thinking more of bashing and weekends at the track(not to race though, just to play )
Old 08-22-2005, 10:41 PM   #10
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to josh69162

The big thing for electric's cost is batteries and battery maintenence supplies. A discharger will run 40 (give or take), while a decent charger will easily go for over 100. If you want matched packs (which are easier to maintain), they will be about 60 a pop with the battery bars. If you are just bashing around, an esc should only be about 60ish (Right?). It takes a lot more to maintain a motor than an engine. Only if you race will you really need to tune a motor extensively, but engines require nonstop adjustments for climate issues. While the initial cost of electric is slightly higher, not having to rebuild engines, batteries lasting quite some time, and not having to worry about fuel helps even it out down the road.
-Josh
josh69162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 11:44 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Playing Electric Car is like investment. You buy esc, charger, discharger, batteries at big bucks for starting. Then, you pay smaller bucks for tyres and updating your batteries depend on how often you play. Also you can sell the equipments later.
On nitro cars, the starting bucks is not as big as electric cars, but you will have bigger monthly cost for it.
At the end (say it 1 year), both will cost you the same amount of bucks.
I suggest you make decision on your own personal preference/interest in which car you like to play with.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:51 PM   #12
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I personally would choose electric particulary if you are only bashing and not racing then you don't need good batteries or speedoes etc just something that does the job. Nitro needs maitaince and you are constantly tuning the engine to the environment and the fuel is expensive.
Superkarter is offline   Reply With Quote