R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-21-2002, 10:36 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Default TA03F Gearing Trauma???...... HELLLP!!!!!!!!

Hi everyone, I am having no end of problem with My TA03F lately mostly with melting things such as my new 11x3 Motor.

Before i go into the details i would like to hear from any one running a TA03F, with the standard black gears which came with the car, as well as a fast motor such as a 11turn or less. What i want to know please is what size pinion you are running with these motors to keep them from burning up?????

Now here is what happened

I ran the car today with my first pack every thing seemed to be ok. Five to Ten minutes later i ran my second battery pack and it ran out of steam rather quickly after approx 1 minute. I picked up the car and noticed that the motor was smoking and that the plastic around the brush housing had melted. Also the brush housing/ heatsink etc had come away from the top of the endbell causing the brush on one side to be twisted and welded to the commutator. Oh what joy i said as I headed home to further inspect the damage.
When i got home i noticed also that the solder on the negative wire on my deans plug for my battery had also melted and the wire had shifted almost off before cooling and setting again.
Now I suspect one of two things happened
1)i did have a front ender into the gutter which may have damaged the endbell. (seems a little unlikely to me)
Or 2) My car is not geared properly and the motor just overheated.
I was running a 11x3 motor with a 19tooth pinion and my car has the standard black gear cogs that come with this car.

Any constructive advice would be much appreciated.
Steevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2002, 12:22 AM   #2
M 5
Tech Regular

Im quite sure your pinion is geared too high... i have a 40 pinion in my TA04 once and all the things blew up....even the motor solders were too hot the wires came apart..people advice me to get a 34-35 pinion....try a lower pinion... others can tell you the exact setting.
M 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2002, 12:59 AM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for the reply M5,
What i need is someone with a TA03F who is running a low turn motor with standard black teflon gears to let me know what size pinion they are running to keep everything from melting away....

I appreciate any efforts to help me solve the problem..
Old 09-22-2002, 08:11 AM   #4
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

Well just to compare to you how overgeared you are I ran a 20 tooth .04 metric 64 pitch which is the smallest Tamiya makes on my DJ TAO3F with a 10 turn at the TCS race I won several years ago. My motor was hot and need the armature cut every round on my lathe.

You need to start with the smallest .06 gear that you can get like maybe a 15 or something like that. If you have the Robinson 48 pitch gear conversion you get an american 48 tooth and 50 tooth pinion. Then you can use american 48 pitch gears and have small pinions.

You will need to let the motor rest longer than 10 minutes as it will still be hot from the first run. The 03 series of cars do make motors get hot no matter what you do but you can keep it to a minimum. Also use the Tamiya alum. motor mount setup as well. This sill help with the melting plastic thing.

Brian
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2002, 11:01 AM   #5
Tech Adept

I race a 03F DJ with the white gears. I race my car with 11x3 and usually use the .04 20, 21, tooth gears. If you switch over to the .04 gears I think you will like it better. Make sure don't have anything binding in the drive train and you are not running your diffs to loose.
rowdyrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2002, 01:41 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Thanks WYD & rowdyrj,
I appreciate your help on the matter. It seems that the advice i was given from the local hobby shop guy was all wrong. Its back to the drawing board on this one and maybe a set of white spur gears is on the cards with some smaller pinions.

Cheers
Steevo
Old 09-22-2002, 07:19 PM   #7
Tech Initiate

Hey Steevo,

I have the standard black gears in my TA03f. I don't run anything as crazy as an 11 turn in it, but I have had as low as a 14 turn in mine.

As you have already figured out, a 19 tooth pinion is a tad excessive with an 11 turn. With my 15 turn motor, I usually run a 17 tooth AT MOST.
According to my calculations, you should be running around a 14 tooth pinion. I would even dare to say that this is the maximum size that you can get away with. If you want to try 15, make sure that the motor isn't getting too hot.

Secondly, if you don't already have one, make sure to buy the TA03f's motor heatsink. This should help dissipate any excess heat. The tamiya part # is 53275

If you plan on buying the white gears and want to run the 11 turn with them, I would recommend a 64 pitch pinion somewhere around 19 - 20 tooth.

Remember, it's better to start off with a smaller pinion and work your way up if the motor is not too hot.
crookedlawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2002, 09:12 PM   #8
Tech Fanatic

Thanks crookedlawyer and everyone else for their input.
It is great to have such a wealth of information from genuine people at ones disposal. I will be putting all your advise into practice and will post the results for future readers.
Does anyone know the part number for the white gear set that i need for my TA03F? Also i assume that the white gear set will not affect the using of my Ball Diffs or will i have to replace them as well for a compatable part.....
Old 09-23-2002, 05:05 AM   #9
Tech Initiate

I believe it i Tamiya part # 50704
Old 09-23-2002, 06:04 AM   #10
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by crookedlawyer
I believe it i Tamiya part # 50704
Thanks for the help. It may sound like a silly question but do i only have to change the cogs in the front box where the motor is or do i have buy a second set and change the ones in the back as well??
Old 09-23-2002, 10:33 AM   #11
Tech Initiate

Not a silly question at all.

I remember asking this same question a while back and I believe that you only have to change the gears up front. As far as I know, you shouldn't have to change your ball diffs either.
Old 09-23-2002, 08:27 PM   #12
Tech Adept

I've been thinking that you can still use the ball diff but you will have to change the diff gear. Try these parts:
50704 is the gears
53260 Hollow Carbon Shaft
53219 Aluminum Pressure Plate
rowdyrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 07:08 AM   #13
Tech Fanatic

Default TEST RESULTS

Firstly i would like to thank all those concerned for their input on this subject.
After purchasing some assorted Tamiya pinions and testing them with 3 different motors tonight in two of my TA03 chassis i have recorded the motor/pinion combinations that seemed to work the best for me.

16x3 Trinity Modified/18 tooth pinion.
13x3 Eagle Racing modified/14 tooth pinion
10x2 Trinity Modified/12 tooth pinion.

I would suggest you could probably go up a pinion size for each motor. I started with the 16 Turn motor and used this as the bench mark for the testing. The 16 Turn/18 Tooth pinion combo game me a very good run time on my 2400mah NiMH pack. Unfortunately i did not think to record the run time but it was very good. All three motor/pinion combos produced minimal heat and i was able to touch the cans on all motors after a battery run without scorching the fingertips which was the case in the past.

I am sure that all of you out there who have had these cars for some time have worked all this out to a "T". For all the others i hope that this info helps some.

Last edited by Steevo; 10-01-2002 at 07:46 PM.
Old 09-27-2002, 10:41 AM   #14
Tech Initiate

Don't forget to mention that those pinion sizes are for the 0.6 black 48 pitch gears.....
Old 10-26-2002, 04:05 AM   #15
Tech Initiate

I've found this thread a little late, but I'll still contribute.

I run a Fantom 11x3 in my ta03f, and I have run it with a 21 tooth pinion on many occasions (most of the time). The motor does get very hot, but it has survived this torture... We only run one battery pack through it at a time... I am not a racer, I bought it mainly for display, so runtime and longevity of parts isnt really an issue, but speed is fun!

I dont think the motor would enjoy this abuse weekly, but fortunately for it I have little time to play. As it is now, the com is ok (gets trued sometimes) and the brushes hold up relatively well.

I have the aluminium motor heatsink, and the bottom of the gearcase has been removed and replaced with a little sheet of drilled aluminium to act as a heatsink, as well as protect the motor from scrapes, and other torture. It may have somethign to do with helping the motor cool down.

For regular driving, and to enable relatively decent runtime with a bit of bottom end, I use a 14 tooth (the one that came with the kit).

The black gears have held up great, their strength only being an issue if the mesh isnt correct between them. There was a manufacturer who made aluminium spur gears; their name escapes me.
Manuel is offline   Reply With Quote