R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-19-2001, 02:52 AM   #31
Tech Regular

but where do we exchange the paper for for the old version for older cyclones?
Usagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2001, 05:57 AM   #32
RCTech Member #2

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to TSR6

Quote:
Originally posted by Usagi
but where do we exchange the paper for for the old version for older cyclones?
You have to mail the coupon into Novak.
RCTech Member #2

The postings and views expressed on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the positions, strategies, or opinions of any company I may be employed by.
TSR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2001, 07:33 AM   #33
Tech Adept

My M Pro finally arrived, I get to pick it up this weekend from my LHS. Looking forward to using it, sound like its is getting favourable reviews. Now I can actually look at buying SMH or the new Sanyo HV cells.
dcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2001, 06:31 AM   #34
Tech Rookie

Can someone tell me how to interpret the after charge data?
FastAggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2001, 08:20 AM   #35
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by STLNLST
To those of you that have used the charger on a weekly bases does it charge false peak free?
My millennium pro false peaked twice this past weekend. I charged four race packs with it (SMH 3000) and it falsed on the second pack and the third. Both times it was after delivering around 550ma into the packs. It didn't false peak at all on the first and fourth pack.

These packs are almost new, with two prior race days on them. After a run, I take the pack down to 5.4 with a 20A discharger, then tray them on a ProMatch Smart Tray II. It takes them down to .5V/cell. THen I leave them that way until the next race. IT's my understanding that new NIMH packs may be prone to false peaks, and trayed packs as well...

One of the packs that false peaked finished a complete charge just by restarting the charger, the other false peaked a second time and finished on the second restart.

Trips
Old 11-02-2001, 08:28 AM   #36
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to WHITESTER

I use my Millenium Pro every week, sometimes twice a week. I have had it since it first came out, maybe a month now. And it has never false peaked for me. I charge mostly Nicads.

Hey Trips. how come you discharge you NimH packs. I read many articles that says you don't need to discharge them after every run. And actually you are supposed to store them with a small charge in them. I know Matt Francis doesn't discharge his Nickle metal's very often. Just curious that is all. Alot of guys at my track after their race, they just let them rest/cool, and the put them back on the charger. Like I said, just curious.
WHITESTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2001, 11:29 AM   #37
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to David Galdo Send a message via AIM to David Galdo Send a message via MSN to David Galdo Send a message via Yahoo to David Galdo

You can achieve good results if you run NiMH packs at least every other week. NiMH cells do not seem to like long periods of inactivity so if you cannot race them, which is the best way to cycle them, then biweekly you should charge them and immediately discharge them down to .9 volts per cell. Let them cool and then fully charge them. The night you are going to race them discharge them down to .9 volts per cell and store them in a cool place. Do not freeze them! If you are going to the track several hours before you plan on charging your packs take them out of the refrigerator and put them in a cooler.

I have a few notes on caring for NiMH batteries. The steps above are what I practice and have done by example. It should work and is a proven method since the other guys I race with have used the same technique since NiMH was first available.

As for the false peaking, I heard that the older Mill's did and is why I avoided that series despite it being $20 less than the new Mill's. My new Mill has not false peaked YET. It has been very reliable.

Last edited by RCCadet; 11-02-2001 at 11:34 AM.
David Galdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2001, 01:11 PM   #38
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by WHITESTER
Hey Trips. how come you discharge you NimH packs. I read many articles that says you don't need to discharge them after every run. And actually you are supposed to store them with a small charge in them. I know Matt Francis doesn't discharge his Nickle metal's very often. Just curious that is all. Alot of guys at my track after their race, they just let them rest/cool, and the put them back on the charger. Like I said, just curious.
When the NIMH cells were new to the RC scene, the battery matchers did all tell us to NOT discharge them and to put some charge in them for storage. They were repeating the info they got from the battery engineers at Panasonic and Sanyo regarding the cells.

As it turns out, storing NIMH cells with partial charge in them will cause them to lose voltage and runtime. Most of the better battery matchers are now recommending that we discharge the NIMH cells down to .9 volts per cell and store them that way. If we don't use them every week, it's a good idea to cycle them every week or at least every other week.

Trips
Old 11-02-2001, 01:26 PM   #39
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Trips: I think I said this on another thread, but.......

....if what you and some others are saying is true, that NiMH batteries DO need to be discharged and DO need to be drained for storage and all that.....

......then all the things that got everyone excited about NiMH technology in the begining is basically crap! Am I wrong???

I mean what advantage do these cells have compared to NiCDs other than the capacity. Not only would it seem that they have no other advantage besides the capacity, but with how fickle the cells are during charging, and the fact that the "experts" still only use the packs once a day, it would seem they are more trouble than their worth.

Yeah, theses cells are easier to dispose of and better for the planet, compared to NiCDs, but thats definitely not the advantage we in the R/C world were looking for!

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but the hype with these cells when they first came out was;

1. higher capacity

2. no memory(no need to discharge after every run)

3. can be used many times during the race day.

4. easier to store(no need to fully discharge pack while stored)

From what I have been reading on the board lately, only one of those still hold true. And thats the higher capacity.

So whose fooling who??? Can you guys give some clarification? I mean are the NiMH cells what we were promised when the came out or not?

Thanks
Old 11-02-2001, 04:11 PM   #40
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Trips- Thanks for the reply. After looking into the charger some more I have decided to get a pitbull. It has all of the charging feature's of a Turbo 35 in a compact little charger. Still too many false peak for me. A new pack shouldn't false peak on it's first charge. The pitbull even carries over the longn lockout feature for older packs. I can't ask for more than that.
Old 11-02-2001, 05:06 PM   #41
Tech Elite

Darkside-

I don't know how to answer your question. I tried to avoid buying NIMH packs for as long as possible, but it finally came down to the choice of buy some NIMH packs or don't run mod.

There hasn't been a new NiCad cell for racing since the 2400. The latest NIMH cells have more punch throughout the entire run and more run time. You can run them twice in the same day, and the times I have I've noticed the second run seemed as good or better than the first.

I wanted to be competitive in Modified touring car and that means running low turn motors. It takes 3000 NIMH packs to run the horsepower and gearing to keep up and still make run time. If I were running stock I'd probably still be running 2400's.

One thing's still for sure... I don't think we've got NIMH cells completely figured out yet, not like we have NiCads figured out. I'll really be a happy racer when we know for sure exactly what sort of treatment will be best for these cells. For now, I try to follow the advice of guys like SMC or ProMatch and hope for the best.

Trips
Old 11-03-2001, 11:17 AM   #42
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Trips: cool thanks for the honest response. I have just been debating wheter or not to jump to NiMH packs(which also means a new charger). But, everytime I think I know what needs to be done to maintain them, I hear something different.

O'well, I think I have enough info from all sides to at least keep from destroying a new NiMh pack. I hope!
Old 11-05-2001, 11:38 AM   #43
Tech Elite

Default A quick Millennium Pro update:

Just wanted to post this update... I posted earlier in this thread that my Millennium Pro had false peaked on two of my four new SMH Panasonic packs last weekend.

I ran the same packs yesterday, this time the charger brought all four up to full charge without false peaking. Maybe the cells are breaking in, maybe it's because after I ran them last week I just dumped them to 5.4V and put them away without traying them.

This week I dumped them and trayed them again, I guess we'll see if they fasle at all next weekend.

Another interesting thing... last weekend, the Millennium Pro said it delivered somewhere between 3300 and 3375 mah into the packs, this week they peaked after only 3099-3140 mah. I also dumped 3 times yesterday (same car, motor, gearing, and track layout as last week)

Either my motor is pulling more current as it gets older (I guess this is possible as the comm gets smaller, and this comm is REALLY small now) or my SMH packs have lost some significant runtime after only four race outings... It could also be that the competition was a little tougher this week... I had to really get into the trigger a LOT more than last weekend... only BARELY got TQ by a second or two, last week I was TQ by two laps...

Guess I'll know more later in the week, my Victor is coming home from Canada, I'll be putting these cells on my workout regimen to see how they respond.

Trips
Old 11-05-2001, 03:32 PM   #44
Tech Master

Trips- I have talked to most of the mod racers at SoCal- Being Kinwald, Todd Hodge, Hodapp, numerous really fast locals, they all say not to use a discharge tray on NiMH packs that are used for Mod racing. Voltage stays okay but the runtime is greatly shortened. I have not read this thread completely so I don't know all situations. Just passing along some info for you.
Old 11-05-2001, 06:32 PM   #45
Tech Elite

Charlie-

Thanks for the heads-up, looks like I'll discontinue the tray usage for now.

Trips