R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-26-2014, 06:12 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Xray T4 2014 or Schumacher Mi5

Hey guys,

Time to get a new tc, and I'm torn between the Mi5 and T4 2014.
Both cars are supported and runned at my local track. Want to get some opinions as what to get.
I have been running tc's for about 2 years now and would say my experience level on a scale of 1 to 10 is still at about a 5. Want to get the kit that is going to be durable and won't need to do much to it to be able to compete with the big boys. I will be using this for indoor carpet/ tc 17.5. Let me know what you guys recommend and what parts would be needed for each kit to make them competitive.
Thanks for all the help.
Cheers,
Old 05-26-2014, 06:22 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiago890 View Post
Hey guys,

Both cars are supported and runned at my local track. Want to get some opinions as what to get.
I have been running tc's for about 2 years now and would say my experience level on a scale of 1 to 10 is still at about a 5. Want to get the kit that is going to be durable and won't need to do much to it to be able to compete with the big boys. I will be using this for indoor carpet/ tc 17.5. Let me know what you guys recommend and what parts would be needed for each kit to make them competitive.
Thanks for all the help.
Cheers,
As a stock touring car, its really hard to fault the T4 2014. Right out of the box its ultra competitive, and has a massive amount of support in North America. The Mi5, looking at it and having driven Schumacher cars in the past would need a few option parts to make it stiffer in order to make it as competitive on carpet as the T4.

The options you might want for the T4 are a front gear diff, which is totally dependant on how you drive and the sort of track you run on, and a hard front bumper if your track is hard on parts.

EDIT: Forgot to add that the Xray stuff is probably some of the most durable that you can buy. I've had bad bad wrecks with mine and had no breakage happen.
Danny-b23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 06:37 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to DirtyDog3375

I don't normally respond to these questions as it's very subjective and personal.

But if you didn't know or realise yet, the Mi5 is about to be upgraded to a new kit due for release in the next couple of weeks. (Mi5 Evo - only shares transmission with current Mi5).

The Xray is also due for a new kit at the end of the year (usually available in shops around Nov/Dec) - no idea what will be different to the current t414 model, but the Xray team have been using and testing new frt upper bulkhead clamps. NO idea on what else. There is another thread about the possible changes and what people want to see. But its all speculation.

I love my Xray T414 and just switched to an Awesomatix Evo - but it wasn't for performance, but purely due to design (being shaft - personal preference), and bling factor......car just looks and performs amazingly!!!

HTH....

Last edited by DirtyDog3375; 05-26-2014 at 09:37 PM.
DirtyDog3375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 08:08 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)

Fwiw.... historically speaking the Shumachers have always been great on asphalt, with some work required for running the rug. I'd say make your life easy and go for Xray in this scenario.

Powered by Hotwings, Rolling Rock, and the urge to race toy cars...
nf_ekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 10:04 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I have a mi5 with most of the needed upgrade if you dont mind second hand car, I am selling it purely to try new model. Please check it up

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...i5-roller.html

Last edited by Car Breaker; 05-27-2014 at 04:39 AM.
Car Breaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 11:53 PM   #6
Tech Addict

I recently asked myself the same question.

Chose the Xray simply because parts are significanty easier to get.

Beautiful car and don't regret it for a second. Good reason why they are so popular.
But the uniqueness of the Schumacher is appealing.
bd581 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 03:42 AM   #7
Tech Regular

For indoor carpet the xray is a better choice, i went from Mi5 to a T4`14 and its a big difference, the t4 rotates better in the corners, you can adjust all settings out of the box, doesnt require as much options as the Mi5. (ecs is the only upgrade on mine)

The Mi5 is a good car too, but as it it designed, you need to buy optionparts to change alot of settings, and it makes the total cost for the car alot higher if you want to test different things. good with the Mi5 is that it has a very neutral handling, its very easy to drive. the Mi5 is developed mainly for asphalt, and for carpet i would suggest the option 2mm chassi, wildthings braces, 2.5 toe rear arms. (quite alot of money)
Old 05-27-2014, 05:39 AM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Mi5 can definitely be competitive on carpet. I race on carpet with a very fast guy who has one. He's changed a few things on it to make it more durable and competitive though.

Just looking at my signature, you can see I'm a bit biased towards XRAY. If XRAY made a rear motor 2wd buggy, my fleet would be all XRAY.

If you choose a T4'14, the only item not included that I would consider vital for durability, is an upper bumper brace. Even more vital if you use a hard bumper.

ECS (Dual Cardan Joint) shafts will definitely make a difference in performance, especially on tight corners. They are not as strong as the kit shafts, but can take some abuse if you build them properly. I like to use heat shrink after building to make sure they stay together even if a set screw happens to back out a little. Just trim the heat shrink down to the edge of the barrel after shrinking it. Depending on how often you hit walls, you might want to stick with the kit shafts for a bit. If you are consistently within a few tenths of the track lap record, you'll want ECS.

The kit plastic spool outdrives will wear and break, but can save your ECS in a hard crash by breaking first. I use metal spool outdrives(xray steel on 2 cars and S.P.R. Nikita aluminum on 1 car), but that does make it more likely to damage an ECS in a hard hit. It tends to take a harder hit before breaking anything, but it is more costly when something does end up breaking, because it's almost always something more expensive than a plastic outdrive would have been. A front diff would also lessen damage in a hard hit. I just prefer the feel of a spool.
locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 06:23 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 132 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by locked View Post
Mi5 can definitely be competitive on carpet. I race on carpet with a very fast guy who has one. He's changed a few things on it to make it more durable and competitive though.

Just looking at my signature, you can see I'm a bit biased towards XRAY. If XRAY made a rear motor 2wd buggy, my fleet would be all XRAY.

If you choose a T4'14, the only item not included that I would consider vital for durability, is an upper bumper brace. Even more vital if you use a hard bumper.

ECS (Dual Cardan Joint) shafts will definitely make a difference in performance, especially on tight corners. They are not as strong as the kit shafts, but can take some abuse if you build them properly. I like to use heat shrink after building to make sure they stay together even if a set screw happens to back out a little. Just trim the heat shrink down to the edge of the barrel after shrinking it. Depending on how often you hit walls, you might want to stick with the kit shafts for a bit. If you are consistently within a few tenths of the track lap record, you'll want ECS.

The kit plastic spool outdrives will wear and break, but can save your ECS in a hard crash by breaking first. I use metal spool outdrives(xray steel on 2 cars and S.P.R. Nikita aluminum on 1 car), but that does make it more likely to damage an ECS in a hard hit. It tends to take a harder hit before breaking anything, but it is more costly when something does end up breaking, because it's almost always something more expensive than a plastic outdrive would have been. A front diff would also lessen damage in a hard hit. I just prefer the feel of a spool.
http://www.teamxray.com/xb4-2wd/ they do make a 2wd buggy... As for the MI5 a local guy at our track raced/races one. He also has an t4'14. If you race a lower bite tracks the Mi5 is probably ok; however, we race on high bite most of the time. The only stock parts he has left on his mi5 is the bulkheads, literally everything else is different. However he just got a different chassis for it and he seemed to like it a lot better. He is generally the fastest car out there until traction comes up then his card is a turd. He switched to xray and i believe he only has a few upgrades on his xray. We all generally finish with in a few seconds of each other and are very competitive. We all generally make the a main when we go somewhere like club races, or local events, to put it in perspective we arent a bunch of hoolagans banging off of boards haha.
thecaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 07:04 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiago890 View Post
Hey guys,

Thanks for all the help.
Cheers,
If those are your 2 choices i suggest the Xray T4 2014. I know Aja is fast locally but he is the only one. His car is far from stock also. The Xray is great out of the box and the local tracks have plenty of parts available. You know at critters there are 3 cars at the top week in and week out.. (Awesomatix, Xray and Shui)

Jerry

www.awesomatixusa.com
Jerry P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:11 AM   #11
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Thanks everyone for your input, has really helped leaning towards the t4 now for sure.

Jerry, I would love to own a awesomatix but I have budgeted my funds for a new tc, esc, motor and little bits I might need so it's going to put me a bit out of budget but I have not rulled it out yet.

Thanks
Old 05-27-2014, 04:37 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecaptain View Post
http://www.teamxray.com/xb4-2wd/ they do make a 2wd buggy...
Its not rear motor though.
Old 05-27-2014, 04:58 PM   #13
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin544 View Post
Its not rear motor though.
Thank you! I didn't want to sidetrack the thread by replying earlier. Of course I'm aware of the xb4-2wd. Mid and front motor cars just don't work very well on the medium-low traction dirt tracks in my area. If we ran on turf or the crazy traction sugarland tracks, I'd be all over that car.

To the OP, I'm sure you'll be quite happy with the T4'14. It's a heck of a nice TC. It might spoil you for other brands in the future though. All other brands' plastics will be a bit disappointing in comparison to XRAY's. In terms of tolerances, not developing much slop and how well they hold onto screws. It's just one of the things that made me such a fan.
locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 05:17 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

I'm in the same boat as you. If they had a rear motor 2wd I'd run off road.

To the OP, I considered the Mi5 when I bought my T4'14 last fall. Too many option parts needed to have the tunability I was looking for.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:43 PM   #15
Tech Elite

I would be inclined to say an Xray or Mi5 is overkill for 17.5 class. You can be competitive with much lesser of a car say the Yokomo BD7 RS which is half the price. For giggles I run in 17.5 an old TA05R and it is still competitive (true, with a lot of weight shedding which included Schumacher gear diffs).

But the main question is what is best supported with parts in your area? You don't want to find the bits you just broke are two weeks away if your race is next w/e.

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote