R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-19-2014, 09:17 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Lipo battery question

Hey guys, total noob here. I was given a Losi XXXS RTR several years ago and ran brushed the whole time. The car has been down for about two years and I haven't really messed with it. I'm a novice but have had my eye out for a brushless set up for a while. A local hobby shop in my town is going out of business with a huge sale and I picked up a Castle Element 3900kv crazy cheap.

I got the car out and installed everything but I don't have any lipo's. I know I can run Ni-Cd, Ni-MH but I want to upgrade the battery too. What lipo's am I supposed to get?

Can this car even handle brushless? Do they shred belts and plastic spurs?

I also picked up a Losi lithium charge adapter that lets me charge lipo's on my NiMH trickle charger. Is this converter even worth a crap? It was only 6 dollars.

Thanks in advance
ih181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 06:22 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Hi. You need 2s lipo packs in the correct configuration either stick or saddle to suit your car. The car will be fine with brushless don't worry about that.

You can go with some cheaper 5000 30c type packs that should do you fine. Amain or any of the big online retailers have a good range. IMHO avoid the hobbyking turnigy packs as I've had issues with them. Lots of people say they are fine but they weren't for me. For you application id say they'll be fine but I just don't like them.

Never charge a lipo on anything other than a proper lipo charger for many reasons which I won't go into here. There are plenty of cost effective lipo chargers on the market too.
Serpent Viper 977e EVO2, Serpent Viper 988 GP, Serpent Project 4x, Serpent 811T-TE Truggy, Serpent 811e 2.1, Serpent SRX2-MH, Serpent SRX-2 RM, Serpent SRX-4, Serpent F110-SF2, Serpent F180, Serpent 748 Natrix WC, Serpent Cobra GT 3.1, Serpent SRX8, Serpent S811 2.2, Baja 5B Flux, Atomic AMZ 1/27th, Schumacher GT12 SS.
Sanwa, Ielasi Tuned Novarossi Racing Engines, Tekin, Hobbywing, Muchmore.
dan_vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 11:20 AM   #3
Tech Initiate

Yes, the XXX-S will handle brushless and lipo with no problem. I was running a 21.5 and lipo in CVTA at my local track with no issues. The only thing you will have to do is bust out the dremel and grind out the ribs in the battery tray so that the lipos sit properly. Unless you get lipo packs that are shaped like Nicad packs. If you need pics of what needs to be ground I'd be happy to post them.
Grauwulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 11:29 AM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_vector View Post
Hi. You need 2s lipo packs in the correct configuration either stick or saddle to suit your car. The car will be fine with brushless don't worry about that.

You can go with some cheaper 5000 30c type packs that should do you fine. Amain or any of the big online retailers have a good range. IMHO avoid the hobbyking turnigy packs as I've had issues with them. Lots of people say they are fine but they weren't for me. For you application id say they'll be fine but I just don't like them.

Never charge a lipo on anything other than a proper lipo charger for many reasons which I won't go into here. There are plenty of cost effective lipo chargers on the market too.
Lol "everyone else says Turnigy batteries are good, but I had a bad experience so just listen to me and no one else"

Turnigy packs are well worth the money. You could also look in to SMC lipos, as they're low cost and work just fine. All you really need is any lipo for better run times. That brushless system is gonna suck a NiMH battery down in like 3 mins. A 5k-6k lipo battery would last you 30ish minutes, depending on what you're doing.