Wiki Posts
Search

Project RC BMW ///M3

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 07:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ViperZ
Ha, Ha, Thanks Evo! I'm very use to seeing my bodies banged up. I just dont; typically show them after their debut

An Xray t4'15 would be sweet to ad to your stable

I would love to see a video of the 747e!
I know, I gotta get hold of a camera. Been checking those hat/helmet cams out, might be the way to go.

Hey, did you ever finish up that Protoform firebird shell? I'm working on the J71.
Old 11-01-2014, 08:12 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Evo 13
I know, I gotta get hold of a camera. Been checking those hat/helmet cams out, might be the way to go.

Hey, did you ever finish up that Protoform firebird shell? I'm working on the J71.
Ha, that's funny you mentioned that Firebird TA... I was scoping it out for my VTA build. I decided to use the 1968 Camaro instead. The Firebird, is nice, but I just can't put my finger on how I want it to look, just yet

Here is the 68 Camaro VTA. I just fitted the body this morning

This is another project I decided to scope out. It's my XO-1 that I picked up a 1/7th scale Killerbodies Corvette body for.

It arrived slightly damage so i didn't do anything with it. The seller refunded me half my costs, so I basically got it for $50, shipped. So I shelved it for a while, until today. I was thinking of taking a heat gun on low to it and seeing if the crease will work it self out on the rear window.

Old 11-01-2014, 10:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by ViperZ
Ha, that's funny you mentioned that Firebird TA... I was scoping it out for my VTA build. I decided to use the 1968 Camaro instead. The Firebird, is nice, but I just can't put my finger on how I want it to look, just yet
Spoken like a true hobbyist.

It arrived slightly damage so i didn't do anything with it. The seller refunded me half my costs, so I basically got it for $50, shipped. So I shelved it for a while, until today. I was thinking of taking a heat gun on low to it and seeing if the crease will work it self out on the rear window.
[/QUOTE]

Hopefully you'll have better luck then me. I backed one of the E92's into a chair once (hot-roddin in the house) and pushed the rear near the BMW emblem in. I couldn't get the dent out with the heat gun without warping the body.

But even with the slight window blemish, it still looks good.
Old 11-01-2014, 04:28 PM
Tech Addict

Spoken like a true hobbyist.

Hopefully you'll have better luck then me. I backed one of the E92's into a chair once (hot-roddin in the house) and pushed the rear near the BMW emblem in. I couldn't get the dent out with the heat gun without warping the body.

But even with the slight window blemish, it still looks good.
Ha, I've done my fair share of damage driving and flying Helio's in the house

Thanks, hearing your story I may just leave it (that blemish)
Old 11-02-2014, 07:23 PM
Tech Addict

Had a good practice session today at the club track. It was quiet as most of the members were at the Edmonton Stage of the WCICS Series.

I was able to test my TC6.2 setup closely to Andrew Cartwright's, less the Yokomo springs. It was a very solid base, however with the help of fellow club member Ryan Rice, we were able to set up steering endpoints on the Tx to be more consistent, adjust tweak out of the chassis, and the biggest tip of how to stay off the inside wall, coming around the last corner to the straightaway. I was able to get consistently lower laps, with much lower lap times! Sure I still had some bad lap times, but I have to say the overall trend is improving

I worked on my TC6.1 as well, turning that into a VTA racer. I installed a set of RSD Lowered Shock Towers. The kit includes lowered towers, shorter ball ends and new spring perches. Not included but ordered is a set of RSD-Xray progressive springs in Pink, Blue and Orange to finish off the kit. I'm really looking forward to this class of racing, as the cars are more scale and realistic looking. Plus I dig the big meat ball tires!!

Ryan and his uber cool Hudy Hauler. I was so wanting one of these car haulers...

Nicely appointed kit!

The ultimate in tools

My workstation for the day

Adding a bit of drag brake to the ESC via Tekin Hotwire

I made a fan shroud to make up for the thinner fan. Temps were about 134F today after a full session.

Ready to test the car.

Even Batman came out

Ryan assembling his T4'15

Installing the RSD Lowered Tower kit on the 6.1

Here is the front RSD tower compared to the OEM AE unit

Adjusting droop

Almost ready to roll
Old 11-05-2014, 11:32 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hi Viper,

This thread was a good read!

Question for you. I noticed a couple pages back that you ordered the DCV kit for your TC6.1. Did you install those yet? If so, did they install on the 6.1 without any modification? I'm just getting started in carpet racing, and I race a 6.1 in VTA. I'd be interested to know how they fit.
Old 11-05-2014, 05:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

My latest E92, first attempt at tinted windows.

Last edited by Evo 13; 11-05-2014 at 08:41 PM.
Old 11-06-2014, 04:35 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by alborn98
Hi Viper,

This thread was a good read!

Question for you. I noticed a couple pages back that you ordered the DCV kit for your TC6.1. Did you install those yet? If so, did they install on the 6.1 without any modification? I'm just getting started in carpet racing, and I race a 6.1 in VTA. I'd be interested to know how they fit.
Thanks for taking the time to read and comment Alborn!

Yes, I did install the DCV's on the 6.1. The fit just like on the 6.2 and work great, eliminating chatter and lumpiness on the extreme steering angles. Just remember to use 5x10x3 bearings, 1 on each inside of the block and you'll be fine. The Stock ones are 5x10x4.

My latest E92, first attempt at tinted windows.
Looks like it turned out well. I've tried tinting windows before, but was never happy with the results. I have tried various viscosity with various transparent mixers using an air brush. One day i may get something I like. I may try dye as that leaves it very clear and not mottled.

I did some upgrades to the 6.2. I picked up a Tuning Haus Carbon bumper support some Exotec aluminum spring perches and an AE Spring kit.

Bumper support. The carbon doesn't have the nice glossy finish as the AE carbon, but it will do, I suppose.

Installed. Notice the R-Factor Carbon Bumper brace as well

Exotech Aluminum spring perches

for some reason I thought they would be much more noticable

Well they are from this angle

New blue springs 17.0 lbs/in on the fornt, OEM silvers 14.5 lbs/in on the back

My AE spring kit, 2 sets of greens, as one set is borrowed

I have a set of Yokomo springs coming for the 6.2 to try, as well I have a set of Reflex Racing progressives coming for the 6.1
Old 11-06-2014, 05:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Does the AE spring kit include all short springs? I wanted to change up the colors on the 747's
Old 11-07-2014, 06:39 PM
Tech Addict

Does the AE spring kit include all short springs? I wanted to change up the colors on the 747's
No idea what a short spring in Evo, but all these springs measure about 1 inch (25mm) in length, uncompressed. If that helps.

I received most of my order of gears from Reflex Racing! I tell you, that place is like Crack Cocaine for a AE owner & Driver

I got the 64P's I've been wanting to convert over to. Really nice Panaracers. The pinions are nicely detailed with a clean beveled edge on both sides. The Spur gears looked of nice quality, however they were slightly thinner than the OEM AE gear by about 1.5mm. I had to make 2 shims out of 0.5mm styrene sheet, and not use the OEM shims.

I forgot to take a picture of the shims before I buttoned it up. However if you look close at the last picture, you can see it there.

OEM shims not used

Look close and you can see my homemade shims, made at the LHS (Hobby World) with Ryan, while I was looking for a solution.
Old 11-08-2014, 08:12 AM
Tech Addict

I went through my LiPo collection looking for a stick for the HPI Cup Racer... I could not find one that fit, or of the right cell count. Most were 4s or 3s.. Bottom line, I need more LiPo's

Old 11-08-2014, 02:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

No way dude!
Old 11-08-2014, 02:34 PM
Tech Addict

No way dude!
Waay!

Actually I did find one that fir. It's a 3300mAh 3s, however. I wanted to keep it 2s, so it would not be a land missile, however as you can see, I really didn;t want to add more lipos to the collection.

I was planning on using my VLX 3500kv system I pulled out of my Slash 4x4 Ultimate, however it's a bit large in form factor for the Cup Racer, I I may use the 120A Toro ESC I have sitting around as well as an unused Tekin 13,5T Gen2 RedLine. I think this thing is going to scream on a 3s, provided the motor can take it. I should go look

The VLX system is on the large size

The Toro ESC and Tekin 13.5T

The 3300 3s tucked away in the cage

Mock up of the main components

3300mAh 3s Lipo

The 13.5T
Old 11-08-2014, 02:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Viper,

That a hell of a lot of lipos bro.

The cup racer looks good. That motor look huge in it. I was gonna pick up the xray m18, but it hasn't been updated since 2009, i believe.
Old 11-09-2014, 04:47 AM
Tech Addict

Viper,

That a hell of a lot of lipos bro.

The cup racer looks good. That motor look huge in it. I was gonna pick up the xray m18, but it hasn't been updated since 2009, i believe.

Yeah Evo, it's mainly the RC Planes and Helicopters that drove that collection... Then I got back in to cars, and that continued to add. It doesn't look like its going to stop anytime soon. I may go get a 2s for the Cup Racer, and another pack for TC racing... sigh I think the 3s in the Cup Racer is going to be over kill unless I run it in parking lots, which my 1/8th cars are for. In that 225mm wheel base 1/10 midget, it's sort of insane. Much like your 1/10th 747 with a 1/8th power system

I don't know much about the Xray M18 (1/18th?), but if you get a good price on one, and you can make it work, go for it! I was interested in the Kyosho Mini Z 1/27th scale cars for the small form factor, detail and collect-ability.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.