R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-29-2014, 09:07 AM   #31
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobiski racer View Post
A legend car! Basic of all. Kit with bearings 120 bucks, and super cool. Rjspeed.com
+1 Cheap and very durable.. You can run the $15 Tamiya Silvercan motors in them to keep speeds down and use a 4-cell nimh pack or a single cell Lipo. Both very cheap and durable as well. With this motor and Lipo battery you should get 30+ mins of runtime. Tires are Foams but should hold up very well due to the slow speeds.
Old 05-29-2014, 02:07 PM   #32
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

If the first step to joining this racing is buying a new car then you already have a big hurdle to attract current racers.
Old 05-29-2014, 03:09 PM   #33
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus View Post
If the first step to joining this racing is buying a new car then you already have a big hurdle to attract current racers.
ChiMiniRC stated in post #1 that the cars were to be rentals. That's part of his business model, so newbies don't have to shell out big bucks to try the hobby. It's a wonderful idea to get more people involved.

I have two loaner cars for newbies to run for free at our local track. I thought that was a lot of work, so I can't imagine the level of effort that ChiMiniRC puts into his current class (and even more into this new class!). I hope everyone involved thanks him regularly and profusely.
howardcano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 04:22 PM   #34
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardcano View Post
ChiMiniRC stated in post #1 that the cars were to be rentals. That's part of his business model, so newbies don't have to shell out big bucks to try the hobby. It's a wonderful idea to get more people involved.

I have two loaner cars for newbies to run for free at our local track. I thought that was a lot of work, so I can't imagine the level of effort that ChiMiniRC puts into his current class (and even more into this new class!). I hope everyone involved thanks him regularly and profusely.
Correct. The club will provide the cars. I'd use term "business model" LOOSELY. More like "plan not burn through cash maintaining the cars while offering newcomers a chance to try the hobby at a low cost"

Hence my focus on picking a platform where durability (to keep costs low) and bodies (to keep the interest as broad as possible) is important.

I can say the Kyosho Mini-z treated me very well. VERY easy to maintain, VERY inexpensive to run. But here is where I feel they have held me back.

1. Too small. I can deal with "serious" racers balking at the mini car just like 1/5th scale guys make fun of guys that run cars smaller than theirs. It's annoying but I can live with it. But... first timers view small as toy and will NOT give it a chance.

2. Cost to the consumer . Not me but eventually folks want THEIR OWN CAR. The most people will race a club car seems to average 2-3 times. After that they either stop or want their own car. Mini-z are perceived as expensive due to the small size(though recently that has improved with RTR in the $175 range).

3. Body selection. Lot's of Euro exotics and Jap cars. Hardly ANY American cars so lots of people are turned off due to lack of interest in ANY of the MANY body styles.

4. This one is minor but worth mentioning. As great of a racer as a Mini-z is, anyone that has raced them know they are VERY nimble. Like handing a newbie a quick 1/12th scale pan car. Just too much for first timers to grasp so they give up easy.
ChiMiniRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 04:52 PM   #35
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

I would suggest the TT01 or TT02 (TT02 has more adjustment) for your events. The cars are very durable and parts are inexpensive. The kits also include a brushed motor and an esc that can run both brushed and brushless motors. Performance wise, there is no a better platform out there in the same price range. As a plus, Harbor Hobbies in Winthrop holds Tamiya Championship Series races (http://www.tamiyausa.com/tcs/index.php#.U4e5OvldXGU) events at their facility, you would likely get some folks from his races to come down and support yours.
818Designs.net - TKO
sickboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:54 PM   #36
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Yeah I would be going for a tt02 over the tt01, they have many improvements and will be around longer than tt01's!
79 mk1 Sand Scorcher, 09 Buggy Champ, TB01 Lancer Evo 7, TL01 Lancer Evo 6, TA02 Castrol Celica, TA02SW Taisan Porsche, TA02W Castrol Supra, TA03F Starion drifter, M06pro Gemini coupe, Tamiya Dyna Storm 5.5t, Stadium Blitzer, Bear Hawk, Baja FAV, Egress!
redzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 10:27 AM   #37
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

These might be good tires for you to try from Speed Passion. I have some but never tried them to test durability but for the price it's worth trying. They have them in both white and grey rims but I don't know if the tire compound might be different. They are also having a good sale on the ESC/Motor combo kits now as well.

http://shop.speedpowerrc.com/1-10-on...s-white-wheel/
x3inchesx is offline   Reply With Quote