R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-23-2005, 01:16 PM   #16
Tech Master

as many people already stated,lipo use in the electric car world is not popular and are not legal in all race sanctioned organisations.
looking at nimh though the best features would to have;
1]stage charging.
as someone else said diffrent amp settings for 3 or more stages
2]temperature cut off.
3charge amps upto 10amps.
4]discharge upto 30amps at least.[not many charges have this and will make a big difference.3amp discharge will never be used]
5]motor run would also be gud incl. amp draw,rpm.

maybe you wil please more people if you had a different charger for different classes.
also this would make individual charges cheaper for the customer.
people may buy a charger and may not use 50% of the functions because there for a different class.

i think its also good that a company outside of rc is trying to get in.
more competion and may even teach other established companys a lesson or two.

good luck with your 'new' venture.
Futaba
Speedtechrc
trf racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 03:55 PM   #17
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to floodo1 Send a message via AIM to floodo1 Send a message via Yahoo to floodo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by andsetinn
I'm not much of a LiPo user yet. But I have opinions.
I like the feature list. I'd like to see higher discharge, maybe as an addon unit. You can make 10/20/30 Amp dumb "load unit" that is controlled by the charger. When the unit is plugged in you can discharge up to 30 Amps, without it you can discharge 3 Amps.
There has to be motor run feature. I'd like one where you can adjust both the voltage and the current, like in high quality power supply. Lets say I want the high quality power supply control, that can run motors, built into the charger.
There has to be NiMh and NiCd charging.
The Kiss principle is always good. That is; take great care in keeping the charger simple to use. I'm always annoyed when I have to read a 100 page manual to adjust my radio endpoints.
why compete with competition electronics? if ppl need high discharge, motor run, and basic charge i see NO reason not to buy a turbo35.
on the other hand, some ppl want seperate units for whatever their reasons. mainly for features.

personally i'd like to see the best charge, with the features i list above. no charger is able to fulfill all of those things at the moment. and NO multi function unit even comes close.

you arent talking about a great charger you're talking about a great single box to handle batteries (charge and discharge) and your motors too!
floodo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 11:03 AM   #18
Tech Rookie

Default Thanks for the input guys..

Keep it coming!

As I had stated before, because of the large number of entrenched companies already established in the NiMH market, we are focusing strictly on LiPo batteries right now. Although it is mainly an aircraft enthusiust battery right now, the technology can't help but eventually filter over to this market. Reading the future possibilities of this type of battery, it will be able to be formed to fit in odd shaped spaces, instead of having to create spaces for you're battery.

We just got that ICE unit in for testing, so we'll be able to verify all of the specs they provide. Just looking at the case size and cooling solution, discharging at 10A on this unit will probably generate quite alot of heat which is why we picked a much lower value ( 3A ).

The information out there on LiPo lifespan in terms of cycles, points towards them have much fewer full charge/discharge cycles in them than Li-Ion batteries. For this reason, I don't see very many people wasting many of these potentially valuable cycles discharging the cells very often, but there will be a portion that do, and if we didn't include discharging capabilities it would definitly hurt our product. This is strictly a LiPo charger right now, so the higher discharge rates needed for other battery types isn't being considered.

This is all still very speculative, as no one seems to have done repeated testing to see in fact if the number of cycles is in fact significantly lower than NiMH or Li-Ion.

Thanks again

Ryan Kennedy,
ICT, Engineering
ICT-POWER.COM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 02:46 PM   #19
Tech Adept

Quote:

The information out there on LiPo lifespan in terms of cycles, points towards them have much fewer full charge/discharge cycles in them than Li-Ion batteries. For this reason, I don't see very many people wasting many of these potentially valuable cycles discharging the cells very often, but there will be a portion that do, and if we didn't include discharging capabilities it would definitly hurt our product. This is strictly a LiPo charger right now, so the higher discharge rates needed for other battery types isn't being considered
Actually I have found no need to discharge LiPo's as they develope no memory. Out of curiosity I discharged mine to see what would happen... Nothing.... Not being real technical, I know how many Mah's are used by the motors, with that and the additional charge I pulled out... things just added up ... the Lipo's charged right back to 4900mah... these batteries have seen weekly use since April... depending on my mood, time between heats ... used twice and three times...

Really for a weekend warrior like myself ... Lipo's seem to be hassel free battery...
Hick is offline   Reply With Quote