R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-16-2014, 07:05 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Most Suitable Tires for Cemented Surface

Hi Guys, I'm new to 1/10 scale. At the moment I am playing on cement surface where the surface is both smooth and a slightly dusty. I would like to know what is the best tires to use on this type of surface. I bought Tamiya's Super Slick Soft Compound tires hoping that it would give me the right traction. Not too bad, tires seems fine, but I would prefer a more grippy set of tires. Any recommendations for the type of surface I play on?
Supa_Mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 08:08 AM   #2
Tech Master

For slicks, it's hard to beat Sorex, but a dusty surface is not going to be good for even the most grippy of tires. Get a leaf blower and clean the surface, then for even more traction, if you are allowed to, spray a nice mist of sugar water or grape soda, coke, etc. on the racing line and give it some time to dry. You at least need to get rid of the dust or you'll just be high speed drifting no matter which tires you have.
locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 10:49 AM   #3
Tech Addict

whats the temps where you are?you could try sorex 24's or 28's,that shouldnt wear out or overheat to quick if your just bashing
do you use additive?
try some tyre tweak or mr33
and i used a cheap litre of orange juice mixed 4/1 with water in a gardening spray bottle and sprayed the track,made the grip level double
Old 05-17-2014, 06:17 AM   #4
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

If you're not racing , just bashing / playing, and want a longer tire life than some of the racing rubber already suggested, I'd stay with Tamiya Super Slicks ( soft or Med ) as well as Tamiya Super Radials BUT I'd get either in 32mm width instead of 26mm (or 24mm in some racing tires). I'd also get some Tamiya two piece reversible rims in 32mm ( they come with white or gold centers ) to give you options if you have body clearance problems putting those big meats on your ride. More rubber on the road, less actual load by area and approx 1/3 greater contact patch and they LOOK great. Here's some 32mm tires and rims mounted. The rims are the SAME, the front ones are reversed for additional clearance :

Hope this helps.

Last edited by bigfatslob; 05-17-2014 at 06:20 AM. Reason: spell
bigfatslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 07:36 AM   #5
Tech Adept

Thanks for all the tips and advise guys. Appreciate that. I have actually just converted my Tamiya VDF drift car to touring. So have been playing around with the set up and trying to find a suitable set of tires to give me proper grip on concrete flooring. What do you think of HPI's V and X groove tires? I've been reading that some who use these tires on concrete have got positive comments. But I'm really not sure if those nicely threaded tires would actually provide the extra grip I want on concrete floor.

I am also looking at the possibility of using Sorex 24mm slicks on 26mm wheels? Have any of you tried this? Will it work? Or is is it going to be a nightmare trying to get the 24mm to fit a 26mm wheel?

I have a few 26mm wheels with me and hope to use tires that would fit my wheels instead of having to switch to 24mm.
Supa_Mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 01:27 PM   #6
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supa_Mario View Post
Thanks for all the tips and advise guys. Appreciate that. I have actually just converted my Tamiya VDF drift car to touring. So have been playing around with the set up and trying to find a suitable set of tires to give me proper grip on concrete flooring. What do you think of HPI's V and X groove tires? I've been reading that some who use these tires on concrete have got positive comments. But I'm really not sure if those nicely threaded tires would actually provide the extra grip I want on concrete floor.

I am also looking at the possibility of using Sorex 24mm slicks on 26mm wheels? Have any of you tried this? Will it work? Or is is it going to be a nightmare trying to get the 24mm to fit a 26mm wheel?

I have a few 26mm wheels with me and hope to use tires that would fit my wheels instead of having to switch to 24mm.
yes 24 mm tyres are easy to fit onto 26mm rims,the larger the air gap the quicker the tyres will heat up,keep that in mind when choosing the inserts,the hpi tyres look and feel quite a hard tyre,never used them as i race mostly so sorex for me,i think youll need something softer,i have used the michelin rally tyres that are standard on a hpi wr8 nitro (not sure if these are the x y tyres you refer to),these are very soft and could be just what your looking for,i wore out a set within 10 tanks of fuel on brick paving,although they are a 1/8th scale size but a small 1/8th not like a buggy wheel,the hpi wr8 fiesta is only a bit larger than a 10th scale,theres also the rally slicks that are on the ken block edition,may be better still,but worth a look imho