R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-06-2002, 11:18 AM   #76
Tech Fanatic

Johnbull you seem obsessed with the Xray copying Corally crap. You shud be glad you dont live here in the UK where the so called HPI team have been sent a shaft drive car to race, this car is basically a Associated with alloy bulkheads and a carbon chassis, it uses associated wishbones, drive system etc but wait till it comes out, it wont be a associated copy in your eyes as it has different wishbones even though the geometry is the same! Your just 2 thick to see that the Xray is greatly removed from a Corally and the only bits that fit are the center one way and the steering link. Get a Grip man Rick
Rick Draper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2002, 05:30 PM   #77
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

I guess it was easy to change the Xray since they already copied the Corally that saved them all the time to develop a car of their own. Once they stole the basic design how hard is it really to improve on a design. Not hard at all if you have engineers with any type of brains. It don't really matter as it is still a mute point but it sucks to do all the hard work and have someone steal your design.
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 01:49 AM   #78
Tech Master

Hi guys. Greetings from Malta.

RICK. For a 21 year old I would have thought you would have learnt to be a bit more tolerant of other peoples opinions, and polite. No such luck.

I have indeed seen pictures of the "Associated HPI", and contrary to your beliefs I do agree that it is a blatant copy of the TC3 too. That's life I'm afraid.

But there is still no arguing the fact that the original X ray was also a very blatant copy of the Corally C4.1.

As to which has been most successful, well results show that.
Corally won the Euros........in UK you remember, with Andy Griffiths......and on it's first public showing too. Can't be bad. They were 2nd on a couple of occasions, and had 2 cars in the top 10 this time. Can't be bad at all, can it. I'm not surprised others wanted to copy them!

However if you cannot discuss in a civilised manner, but intend continuing on the vulgar tone of your last contribution, don't expect a reply from me.

Remember the old Britrish saying.....Manners maketh man.

WYD. Your contribution is more accurate. I underestand the new Corally is testing this week, in great secrecy, which is to be expected after the Dutch company's unfortunate recent experiences. Can't wait to see what it's like.

I can't remember what thread it was on, but I saw one of the Eastern manufacturers cars with gear driven rear and belt driven front. It looked really smart, and I'm sure it must be very efficient. The rumour mill has both Corally and Yokomo following that path.

Should be interesting.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
johnbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 01:59 AM   #79
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

"OLD" doenst mean "wise". It could mean "Fart" !! A young guy could be brilliant. That's why we call some people "Old Fart".
Manticore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 05:06 AM   #80
Tech Fanatic

Was the euros not wone using a 4.1 and not a origional evolution of the car. Thats all it has ever won in its entire existance and Corally seem to just rest on this. At the worlds in 1998 it did nowt and Andrew moore had a hard time making A finals with it at the nationals. Ok so the Xray has won nowt yet but its only a matter of time. What has the HPI won? Or the Schumacher? Insiders tell me that corally will not be around much longer if they dont start selling stuff fast as they hardly have a cult folowing in Touring cars do they and from what i here there 1/12's arnt exactly selling like hot cakes! Rick
Rick Draper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 10:41 AM   #81
Tech Rookie

John from sunny Malta, I think you see it all a bit through sunglasses.....

Hara/Masami: Hara is in my opinion the best driver, simply because he works on his car and finds his own (winning) setups, with a car that many people say it's crap. Did you ever see Masami work himself on a car? I think a good driver does all himself. That Hara did not win the Japan natts was simply a matter of practise, as Hara did test only a week there, and Masami a month.... Just misjudging the circumstances and made the wrong setup/tyre choice... BTW, he won the first final with half a lap on Masami..... and TQ-ed EVERY round......

Pro3: The car is not so bad as everyone thinks, it made good results. Murai won the last final after ( I have heard) a great battle with Masami, and Murai not being a top driver the car can be not that crappy as you write. For race wins in Europe or USA, they just lack those top notches to take more wins home....

Corally: The only win they had is the Euro's, like somebody mentioned before that is the only race win they can rely on. That only the Ahonimi's do well with it, I can counter react with your own conclusion about the HPI car: How many races would they have won with another car? Not one single race has been won after the Euro's, except some stock class races in Germany (reading their home page). I think they make good quality 1/12th scale cars, but since a couple of years their state of the art designs have gone, and slowly went down. Why? In the early 90's they were state of the art design and innovative. But I love their 1/12th's and will continue to drive them. Great car!

No bad feeling, just my opinion.
Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 05:43 PM   #82
wyd
Tech Legend

Ok I'm trying to figure this out. Masami, one of the greatest racers in the world and of all time don't work on his car. How in the hell can he develop cars and never work on them. He don't need to work on them as much as some as he forgets more knowledge on them than most will ever know. Kinda a smack in Masami's face. Give the guy a break as he is the 13 time or something close to that World Champion he apparently knows how to do something right!!!!!

John Bull I think the reason for the new gear type rear with a belt front is to keep the shorter rear belts from skipping with lower wind motors. I think this could be good as long as the rear gears line up well and are pretty free. Sounds like it could work well if as normal is done correctly. I will stick with the Yoke until I see their new car if they have one in the works. I always find it hard to build another car as the one now is still a winning design. Masami and Tosilini are always at the top with them as was Barry Baker and any other pro that has run the MR4 designed cars.

Yoshi that sucks you have to wait til November. No other place to run at? Well if not that will just give you more time to have it in perfect working order and maybe get a new motor or battery if needed.
Old 10-07-2002, 09:30 PM   #83
Tech Regular

Eagle/Wyd:
my speculation with regards to the division of labour at yokomo japan is :
masami's role is to be the test and race driver while his dad (masaki?) is his mechanic. masami drives the car and gives his feedback/input while his dad is the one who does the physical changes. hence you seldom see masami actually working on his car during big races when his dad goes along. i think he also doesn't want to take over his dad's job, otherwise his dad has got nothing to do and will not get paid from yokomo japan.

can anyone out there confirm what i mentioned above?

Last edited by Kyew; 10-07-2002 at 09:32 PM.
Kyew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 09:43 PM   #84
wyd
Tech Legend

I thought Masami or his dad owned Yokomo? Even if not it is cool to have someone change your car while you have time to relax and maybe work on some other stuff before you next round. At this level it is nice for some extra help from a trusting source.
Old 10-07-2002, 10:43 PM   #85
R/C Tech Founder
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Masami's father has pretty much always been his mechanic, while he focuses on the driving. I don't think that has changed for many, many years.
Old 10-08-2002, 12:37 AM   #86
Tech Rookie

Wyd: Yokomo is not owned by Masami or his dad, I think it's Tom Yokomobori when I am correct. Masami's dad works only on his car, and Masami gives the input. Do not get me wrong, he is a great driver with many deserved titles, but he is not he best complete driver. My opinion.

When I am correct the belt/gear system that will be used by the new Corally car was already in use by HPI for ages ago. It had many disadvantages and that's why HPI went to a 2 belt system. Also on the RCZone.net site was some news about Yokomo testing with this system with no satisfaction. And to have the rumor mill working, somewhere on a website I read that the Corally car is a design by a Taiwanese company? So, that eastern company car could be it???

Anyway, I have too much time to read websites I think....
Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 01:08 AM   #87
Tech Master

Hi guys. Greetings from Malta.

Nice to see a whole day's writings without intelligent conversation, instead of insults and bad language. Well done boys. With minor exceptions!

Eagle, Kyew, Wyd. I think we are all in agreement that Hara is brilliant. I also like the fact that he does all his own work, developement and testing on the HPI cars, and that must surely help.

The Masami / Masaki thing. Basically yes, Masami does all the driving. his dad mechanics for him at the races. But in fact they are both employed in the race developement section at Yokomo, and both work on cars during work hours. I understand the Masami driver / dad machanic thing just happens at race meetings, which as Wyd said is very convenient.

The Corally situation in Europe is somewhat different from that elsewhere. Let us for a moment forget the Pro 10 and 1/12th situation, in which the Corally has always been very much at the top. In touring cars Corally are very popular in mainland Europe, and also very successful. In UK, since the split with Mirage they have never had a distributor that really pushes, so that explains the situation there. I don't know what the situation elsewhere is. Certainly their cell matching is second to none.

To be fair, they are a small company, like Schumacher, so they really do well Internationally when one takes that into consideration.

As for the rumour about them folding up. I certainly haven't heard it. On the contrary their catalogues each year get fuller and better,and I certainly have no complaints about their service.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
johnbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 04:45 AM   #88
Tech Adept

HPI has done a lot ever since Hara joined the company. Look at the past record and record this year. He had proven to be a very valuable asset to Team HPI. He led HPI to many top finish, 1/12, 1/10 onroad, and Touring Cars. Don't just look at Touring Car by itself.
TRF414M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 04:59 AM   #89
Tech Adept

In regards to the talk about Gear and Belt configuration, Tech has a prototype of "FX" runs very similar to what JohnBull talks about, I think.

Old 10-08-2002, 05:01 AM   #90
Tech Adept

Another pictures