R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-26-2002, 05:51 PM   #31
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

umm, lets see why the pro?3 isn't as popular as HPI had wished.
1. It needs $300 in hopups to be competitive
2. It needs $300 in hopups to be competitive

It should of never been called the "pro"3, sport 3 would be more appropriate. why couldn't HPI release one the the decked out versions they have in Asia here in the states? If nobody runs the car here in the states then why should HPI sponsor a racing team here? who would they support?
Matt Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 05:58 PM   #32
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

I think Spashett jumped because at the time the ShelfWeapon wasn't good enough to win for him and the new car Cyrul was working on had growing pains. He ran the Yoke because it was a killer car and proven to still be fast.

Many do jump alot until they finally get the big payday and stay. Kinwald left Reedy because Ernie could pay more of him medical bills that Reedy could. Many it is just truely a money thing. Many actually start with Schumcaher and then win a National title and bail. It is too bad but it happens just like real race drivers do. Very very few are loyal and whenever money is involved this happens as everyone wants more cash. Everyone needs cash and the more the better.
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 07:55 PM   #33
R/C Tech Founder
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt Howard
It should of never been called the "pro"3, sport 3 would be more appropriate. why couldn't HPI release one the the decked out versions they have in Asia here in the states? If nobody runs the car here in the states then why should HPI sponsor a racing team here? who would they support?
The idea is that if there were pro drivers in the US running the Pro 3, racers would follow suit. If they released a real "pro" version of the car, like the one Hara is running, and had a Baker or a Tosolini or a Cyrul or a Lemieux driving it at big events, the car would catch on.
Old 09-26-2002, 08:31 PM   #34
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to KINGZJ

Nobody in the states would want to drive that piece of crap anyways. Are you guys retarded or what. I got that info right from the mouth of HPI. Hara got booted from yok because he won the worlds masami was a baby. speedmind was just a joke then hpi came around with a real deal. And for the record tossilini got booted from schumacher because he would not run the new car at the time (the original axis) he was being a baby. You guys ever go to a bigger race and watch the petty little games the "pro's" play I saw factory guys almost get in a fight over a pair of inserts last year at the novak touring car race. All I was saying is that HPI does not want to be apart of that kind of nonsense. I am sure it happens over sea's but it is much more often to happen in the states.
KINGZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 08:56 PM   #35
R/C Tech Founder

Maybe they are "babies" as you put it, but that doesn't change the fact that it would make good business sense for HPI to sponsor a true American racing team. How many Pro 3's do you see racing at your local track? Maybe 1 at the most, sometimes 2, out of how many cars? We have ZERO at our track, and ZERO at Trackside, etc.

If HPI had a US team and released a race-capable version of the car, they would start selling cars to racers. Whether or not they need or care about that market is for them to know -- obviously they have a good lock on the RTR market right now -- but I can't see how it would hurt.
Old 09-26-2002, 09:57 PM   #36
Tech Adept

Pro 3 is in their mature state. This car will no longer need as many different option parts as before ever since the release of Hara Edition. This car is pretty much hop up except the C Hub is just too soft for modify racing. They have improve every aspect of the car even the front bulkhead is slightly modify. The front belt is looser and freer than before if anyone notice.

I went back to Pro 3 because of Hara Edition because I like the centralized location of the battery. I don't really have to worry about the difference of the weight between the two sides.
TRF414M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 10:05 PM   #37
Tech Elite

boy this has sure gotten way off the topic of this thread but whatever. I have a pro 3 and it is sitting on my shelf next to my pro 2 and original pro. For carpet racing (which is mainly what go on in wisconsin at least most the year) the pro 3 just plain sucks. I have tried the car in many different stages of hopped up ness. It still sucks for carpet maybe ok for outdoor where a wet noodle of a car helps more than hinders it is ok. The few spy pic that have been released of the possible prototye pro4 could definatly have some potential and I am sure I will be lured into purchasing one. HPI is more into the rtr crowd than anything else and for a backyard basher who really doesn't care about racing the cars are fine. I don't think if HPI had a team of drivers in the states it would really change the outlook of the pro3. You really cannot polish a tird
Old 09-26-2002, 10:15 PM   #38
Tech Adept

Hara did not switch to Speedmind. He was agreed to use Daytona for one race in China.
Old 09-27-2002, 08:35 AM   #39
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by KINGZJ
I don't think if HPI had a team of drivers in the states it would really change the outlook of the pro3. You really cannot polish a tird
seems like the 'tird' is a pretty good 'tird' which can TQ the Japan nats and come in second and third.
i would say the hara edition pro 3 is ready to compete at the top level. maybe the pro3 just doesn't suit your driving style, that's all. hence there's no need to criticize it so heavily. (btw, i'm not supporting hpi. i drive a yoke )
Kyew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 10:25 AM   #40
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

I think most of the problem is that HPI USA does not offer the Hara edition of the Pro 3 here. That probably is the root cause of the problem.

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.

Sometimes I post just to look at my avatar.
Kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 01:09 PM   #41
Tech Elite

The Hara edition could maybe help matters in the states. It kinda seems like what wins in Japan does't win to much over in the U.S. Maybe just lack of team support. Unfortunatly the pro3 has such a bad rep over here that I don't know if a new edition of the same car would go over very well. They just need to get their new car out same with yok. Even yokomo has seemed to drop out of the U.S. seen.
Old 09-27-2002, 06:28 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally posted by Kyew
seems like the 'tird' is a pretty good 'tird' which can TQ the Japan nats and come in second and third.
i would say the hara edition pro 3 is ready to compete at the top level. maybe the pro3 just doesn't suit your driving style, that's all. hence there's no need to criticize it so heavily. (btw, i'm not supporting hpi. i drive a yoke )
That turd was covered with c/f and aluminum, and did not exactly look like a turd
Speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 07:13 PM   #43
Tech Fanatic

If you wanted to run the Pro3, you would now go for the Hara Edition. As you saw at the JTCN it was very competitive.
Really, I think that all you people who have gripes with the Pro3, are just disappointed you can't get the Hara edition, and aren't willing to spend the money to upgrade to that standard....but I can understand that as is would cost way too much.
So my advice is, if you have a Pro3 and don't like it, sell it, and buy something worth the money.....

Now lets go back to the forum topic...
rccarracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 07:15 PM   #44
Tech Fanatic

Has anyone know where to find some pics of the 1/12 scale cars raced...I mean closeups of the chassis?
rccarracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 08:58 PM   #45
Tech Adept

Mainly they ran 4 cells 1/12 scale.

The most popular one is Yokomo SP12, Kawada M300RSW, Corally 4 Cells. Most of the design are based on Associated RC12L3 (I think) with the exception of Corally. They all use a very similar layout.