R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-12-2014, 04:00 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Schumacher mi5 setup plz help!!!

So here it is just got back into the sport after a little brake got an mi5 schumacher was always good for me in the past but I've never hated or had problems with a car so bad like this one the car doesn't respond to any changes at all and will just not get any grip at any end it's like I'm driving on a dusty road and everyone els is on a sticky track I've tried every setup I could find and then some the car is built perfect!!! No strange noob mistakes in the build I promise I'm running outdoor mid size track 13.5 blinky class spec sweep 40 tires anyone have this problem or any ideas what's going on and no it's not just the driver lol I'm fast with everyone els car but this thing is really un drivable can't even finish a race
Attached Thumbnails
Schumacher mi5 setup plz help!!!-image.jpg  
Larrysraceprep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 04:27 PM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 142 (100%+)

I bought my Mi5 at the end of the outdoor season last year and built mine mid-motor right from the start. It was built exactly per the instructions using kit springs, shock oil, diff oil, etc. I have very slight toe-out. I run in my club's 17.5 blink class and at the last outdoor asphalt race the car was dialed and had tons of grip and lots of turn-in. I was able to keep up with one of the club's fast drivers which was nice.

I have since run it indoors on carpet all past winter with the exact same setup and it was dialed there too. I later changed the suspension arm shims from 1.0mm to 0.5mm and the car cornered better.

I run Sorex 28R indoors and Sorex 32R on asphalt.
SteveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 07:22 PM   #3
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I would strongly suggest that you get someone at the local track to look over the car, and put it on their setup station. Very likely that there is something that has been missed, or is binding, as to be quite frank, even with the kit setup the car should not be undrivable.

Can I also suggest you post your setup in the Mi5 thread (here) so we can make some suggestions on changes to make.

My first question would be though, tyres... Are the 40's what everyone else is running? And how old are they?
Old 05-12-2014, 07:23 PM   #4
Tech Adept

Post your setup sheet, the Mi5 is very strong in low traction so it has to be something in the setup.
trackout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 07:36 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Well from the pic I see that you are running both of the upper deck braces, take the front one out. Also, how many shims are you running under the arm mounts? I would start with .5, should allow the car to roll which should yield more grip.
The Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 07:50 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

you might have something broke or bind in the car that hinder the movement of transmission or suspension to cause all the slippery, I experienced twice, the first time is I have broken the bearing in the rear hub, the second time was that I tighten the rod-end of the shock shaft too much to cause deformation. also check your belt if they are too loose or too tight, I also has weird action when one of my rear belt went flat. it must be something in the car and not your setup.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:59 PM   #7
Tech Adept

4 different people have had it at there table it has .5 shims and I have had the car apart 100 times there is nothing binding or louse I ran it with and with out the brace I just also put the 2.0 chassis on it it seam to make it worse
Old 05-12-2014, 08:07 PM   #8
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrysraceprep View Post
4 different people have had it at there table it has .5 shims and I have had the car apart 100 times there is nothing binding or louse I ran it with and with out the brace I just also put the 2.0 chassis on it it seam to make it worse
It would be a bit easier if you posted the entire setup. Ran this a few times on asphalt and traction was not the issue. I personally think the 2.0 chassis take out traction I like the kit chassis best on outdoor. What Spring? camber? Oil? Need more info.
Team Schumacher USA www.racing-cars.com// Team Sweep Racing Tires USA www.sweepracingusa.com// Hobbywing UK // Atomic USA www.rcatomic.com // SkyRocket Racing www.skyrocketracing.com // UPGRADE RC Products www.upgrade-Rc.com // Champion Hobby // Maj's Hobby // Crispy Critters // AbsoluteHobbyz.com // LAB Motors // Clockwork Racing Engines
Aja Archibald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:23 PM   #9
Tech Adept

Idk if you can read it but this was the last setup I ran the car is only good for the first lap on new tires after that its like there's drift wheels on it and the only way to drive it is to play the slide
Old 05-12-2014, 08:42 PM   #10
Tech Adept

Oh sorry it won't download but its about the same as hofers but my shocks are not cut and I use the 4 grove camber plates
Old 05-12-2014, 09:50 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Try different tires

Team Yokomo - Racing Performer - Sweep Racing
Yokomo_Ant3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:40 AM   #12
Tech Adept

Can't spec tire
Old 05-13-2014, 09:50 AM   #13
Tech Addict

Quote:
Can't spec tire
we need to know your full setup to be able to help you. everything including your shock oil weight, diff oil weight, location of your shocks on the shock towers, everything....if you don't give us that info, we cant help you...there are some great guys on this thread who can help, but you need to give us the info....
gdcopbdcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 02:05 PM   #14
Tech Adept

I hope you can read this it was the last attempt
Attached Thumbnails
Schumacher mi5 setup plz help!!!-image.jpg  
Old 05-13-2014, 02:44 PM   #15
Tech Addict

Quote:
I hope you can read this it was the last attempt
i can see here part of your problem lies...

#1: it looks like you have 1000 t gear diff oil. I never go belo 1500, I use mostly 2000 t.

#2: The first thing I would get is the 3 notch camber link plates. They are a different size than the 4 notch stock camber link plates, and really help the car.

#3: your rear camber link has 2 mm spacers under the ball. go to 2.5 mm spacers under the ball link. That alone will give you more rear traction.

#4: I would try using 400 wt oil in the rear.

#5: Try a blu 15lb spring in the rear.

#6: Probally your biggest problem is the droop. You have 4mm droop on the front and rear. Try 1 to 1.5 mm more droop under the front end then the rear end. You need the car to shift from front to back. The droop makes this happen.

Try those out, and get back to us.

Does anyone else have any other suggestions?
gdcopbdcop is offline   Reply With Quote