R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-19-2002, 04:10 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Endurance races???

I remember reading an article in rcca about a Tamiya emdurance race which sounded like loads of fun.

I don't remember the rules so I was going to come up with a set of rules to help pitch the though for a once a season race.

So here goes:

Teams of 2, maybe 3
1 chassis, no switchng cars
any part can be relaced during the race
1 driver must remain on the stand (if the car breaks the current driver cannot assist in the repair)
only one motor allowed for the full day, it can be rebuilt after qualifiing

Race format--

1 round of qualifiing per each driver lasting 5 min.
each driver must qualify
1 60 min. main will determine the winning team
all battery changes and repairs must take place on "pit road"
If a car breaks and cannot be driven to "pit road" the turn marshal is to place the car on the side of the track closest to him, at which point the "pit person" is to walk around the outside of the track retrieve the car and return to "pit road" before making repairs
A minimum of 1 driver change must take place, during which time the car must be parked on "pit road"
No equiptment changes can take lace unless the part to be replaced is broken.
If at any point there are no cars running for a period of 5 min. the track director can call the race at his own discreation.

I have to scoot off to work any other thoughts??????

Pitman for Team Dallas Austin...
IMPACTPLAYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 04:58 PM   #2
Tech Adept

Info from TamiyaUSA
http://www.tamiyausa.com/events/3hour/index.html
racerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 09:20 PM   #3
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

we just had a 45 minute enduro two weeks ago. using Tamiya LM cars and sedans. our rules were
  • stock motors
  • rubber tires only
  • Lemans Prototype bodies on LM cars
  • LeMans style bodies on sedans. ie porsche, viper, etc
  • at least one driver change
  • only one car per team

one suggestion is that your pit lane does not cut off any portion of the track. with ours when you went through pit lane it cut off the most technical portion of the track. even with a battery change it was almost as fast as going through the technical part of the track. what happened was even though the sedans had to pit twice as much as the LM cars, they were still able to complete as many laps due to not completing the entire track when pitting. a sedan actually ended up winning with LM cars in 2nd and 3rd.

the team that finished 3rd should have won but the smoked a motor about 10 minutes into the race. after a quick motor change they were 6 laps down, they ended up 4 laps down at the end. 2nd was only 1 lap down to 1st.
newracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 09:41 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

IMPACTPLAYR

I was part of the 3hr Tamiya race. My team came in 3rd. It was extremely fun and it was the fastest and most hectic 3 hours of my life.

I don't understand the point behind some of the rules:
>>"only one motor allowed for the full day"
In a long race, motors WILL smoke and fry. If you can't replace it, then the team is doomed.

60 min is actually pretty short. If you drive smoothly, you can get nearly 10 minutes on a mild modified. That's only 6 battery changes.

>>"Each driver must qualify"
umm, why? The Tamiya enduro race based qualifying on fastest lap time within a time limit (10 minutes I think). Of course every team used their best drivers and there were some definite ringers thrown in, but overall, it was pretty fair, those who made it to the A-main.

Best of luck to you. I don';t think most people realize how fun an electric endurance race really is.
linger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 10:03 PM   #5
Tech Master

We have a xmas endro here in Australia. Itís only at club level but itís the best race of the year. The format is four drivers per team. Must have
1 x 540 powered car
1 x stock powered car
1 x Modified powered car
1 x novice is drawn out of a hat for each team powered car.
Only one Pan type car allowed with a 540.

It s a two hour race a you are only allowed two packs per car in the race. This gets real interesting on how teams are going at the half way mark with run time. We had our Novice dump in about 8 mins so I had to make 25 mins with a stock motor on board. I dumped with three mins to go and lost a position with 1 min to go which dropped us from the final. All the same I would rather race on of these a month than 5 min race every week. The novice is a good club thing but it can ruin you chance of a good run.

Coxy
Coxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 10:05 PM   #6
Tech Master

Also in the morning we have a normal race meet with 8 min races.

Coxy
Coxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2002, 03:48 AM   #7
Tech Elite

If each team member must qualify that reduces the chances teams with 1 really fast driver qualifiing higher, actually the total laps in qualifiing will be added up and then divided by the number of drivers on the team.

1 motor per raceday, under Tamiya rules what says I cannot qualify with a 6 turn mod and then race a johnsons can motor in the main???? The old silver can will run for 2-3 hours continuosly if geared properly, and I have seen those motors run for 45 min. at race pace on a 1500 stick pack!!!!

Maybe change the rule to unlimited number of motors, but they must all be of the same class..... OR you must start the main with the motor you qualified on???? That would deter people from qualifiing a hot motor.....

Actually I want to set up and run close to Nascar specs..... that is where I got most of the idea......besides Nascar if very hot around here!!!!!!

I also would like to keep with Sedans, running pan cars agianst sedans is kinda wrong, because if the pancar is set-up well it will outrun and outlast any sedan........ BUT pancars could have their own class...... and we could run lemans style with all classes on the track at once.... IF there are few enough competetors......

BTW: the pit lane would be on the straight away or right before the sweeper....... I can't believe anyone would set-up a track that has a pit lane that actually eliminates part of the coarse!!!!!!

Old 09-20-2002, 01:13 PM   #8
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Evil_S10

The part about every team member must qualify is horse garbage. I personally think that they should take the best qualifying times of each team. Then if someone on the team screws up or doesnt do well during qualifying, the whole team can help him out.
Evil_S10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2002, 02:54 PM   #9
Tech Elite

OK but what if you only have 1 member from eac team qualify and that guy breaks a suspension arm or strips a spur on the second lap........ Then that team is screwed!!! Besides these are my rules and nothing is set in stone..... I am just hashing out plans right now.... So that later I can pitch it to the crowd. I figured that if I have the thoughts of other racers then I know what to pitch and what to trash so that there will be less rules debate and more time for racing..... so until I find a good reason to change that rule it will stick until the racers make a final decision......

Old 09-21-2002, 12:39 AM   #10
Tech Apprentice

Cool

Endurance races are great fun! We have a 1000 round race this year which will take us 5 to 6 hours to drive! You can drive whichever car you want, the motor you want (no brushless) etc. The one thing which should be the same during the race is the chassis (otherwise you could change a car in one go!). It takes 3 to 4 drivers, one team manager/baterie charger, one race track assistant and if possible some additional help (transfer of batteries to the pitlane, mental support and food support) to finnish the race.

This year some great teams will attend, including a Schumacher, a Corally, a Kyosho, an Xray (including Jilles Groskamp), a Tamiya team and offcourse some privateers who will drive for fun! We will have 10 to 15 drivers on the circuit the whole time. Qualifiers are only for the starting grit. Eachj driver should driver an equal amount of time.

The race is in The Netherlands, Swifterbant on November 10, 2002
Arnoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2002, 04:14 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to trackdesigner71 Send a message via Yahoo to trackdesigner71

I had an idea back a year or two ago for an event called the RC Endurance Festival. Its kinda like a cross between LeMans, the SCCA Valvoline Runoffs, and the TCS. Each class had specific rules and ran regional qualifiers. Then the regional qualifiers ran in one BIG race at the National finals. Unfortunately, due to a lack of time, it didnt get off the ground.
trackdesigner71 is offline   Reply With Quote