R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-05-2014, 05:36 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default New to 1/10th on road electric

Hi I recently purchased a Tamiya TT02 from my local hobby store and I love it. What upgrades do you guys recommend doing first, best value best bang for the buck upgrades. THANKS!
mhamada_Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:10 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Depends on what you want to do with it, but I wouldn't sink too much money into a TT. Bearing set is probably something you would want in it. I don't believe those come with a full set of metal bearings.

Changing the friction shocks to oil filled dampers will make it handle better, but that is a rather costly upgrade compared to the price of the entire car.

It's great you are enjoying your new car. I think you should just keep having fun with it as it is now or until you start to break or wear things out.

Think about whether you want to get into racing. If you do eventually want to race, you'll probably want to save up some money for a car that is designed for competitive racing instead of upgrading your current car. Have fun with it, but rather than spending piles of money on performance hopups for it (which is easy to do), just put that money aside for your next car. If you are loving this one, there will be more in your future, no doubt.
locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 10:27 PM   #3
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the info! I will look into buying the bearings. I am just looking for some minor mods to have some fun with. Not too many tracks here in hawaii so I probably will not be able to race it competitively. Anything else you would recommend to maybe get a little more speed out of it?
Old 05-06-2014, 12:17 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhamada_Lexus View Post
Thanks for the info! I will look into buying the bearings. I am just looking for some minor mods to have some fun with. Not too many tracks here in hawaii so I probably will not be able to race it competitively. Anything else you would recommend to maybe get a little more speed out of it?
A nice 17.5t or 21.5t Hobbywing Justock esc/motor combo it'll be much better than the stock kit.

Try to add/purchase things that can be continued to be used when you eventually upgrade your chassis in order to race perhaps in the future!
Serpent Viper 977e EVO2, Serpent Viper 988 GP, Serpent Project 4x, Serpent 811T-TE Truggy, Serpent 811e 2.1, Serpent SRX2-MH, Serpent SRX-2 RM, Serpent SRX-4, Serpent F110-SF2, Serpent F180, Serpent 748 Natrix WC, Serpent Cobra GT 3.1, Serpent SRX8, Serpent S811 2.2, Baja 5B Flux, Atomic AMZ 1/27th, Schumacher GT12 SS.
Sanwa, Ielasi Tuned Novarossi Racing Engines, Tekin, Hobbywing, Muchmore.
dan_vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:52 PM   #5
Tech Rookie

Not sure if I'm ready to take the dive into a new motor and Esc yet but is their any other upgrades to get more performance out of the car?
Old 05-06-2014, 09:11 PM   #6
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

bearings and oil shocks are what you need.
ThePanda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 01:15 AM   #7
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

bearing and shocks and tire foams is all you need for a tt02, everything else won't really improve your car

If your want your steering to be more precise, a better servo saver and some shims will help
TB03Racer09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 01:46 AM   #8
Tech Master

Yep as above, Bearings and oil shocks (Tamiya Super mini CVA's are the right size for onroad and are cheap) Also a nice Servo saver is good.

Then if racing you will want to have more gearing options so get this

http://www.thercracer.com/2013/07/ta...-gear-set.html

which allows you to change your spur gear (So you can move to 64dp etc)

And

http://www.thercracer.com/2013/09/ye...tor-mount.html

This allows you to fit any pinion size, and it also acts as a heatsink for the motor.

With just these few upgrades you can race in 21.5 or 17.5 blinky races and have fun.

Here is how I set my TT02 up to run low FDR's for blinky.

http://www.thercracer.com/2014/04/ta...ta-blinky.html

To be honest I think the TT02 is a great little car. I have managed some quite surprising results at my local club with mine.

TRF419, TBEvo6, TT02, VDF, TRF501x, TRF201, TRF101, Mi5, X-Ray T4-13, BD7 2014, A700 Evo, WR-02G
Qatmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 07:37 PM   #9
Tech Rookie

I am Running a 7.4v lipo in there now. I have an 11.1v Lipo am I able to run that with the stock ESC and Motor?