R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-06-2014, 05:40 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboJuice View Post
PROMOD, I was hoping to buy American when it came to my speed control and motors-I don't see too many people running Novak in 12th-is that a sign?
The GTB3 seems to be a good sc.
Anybody used one?
LRP Flow was my other consideration.

And motors? Novak Vulcan? LRP? Trinity? Orion? Reedy?
Yes it is a sign, plus the novak esc's tends to be large compared to other products. As stated above, Tekin is also an American company that has better ESC's than novak that are more adjustable. I have not run the new stuff, but heard its much better than the old ones (as far as throttle control goes). For American motors, Trinity will be your best option. They pretty much dominate in stock classes.
PROMODVETTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:19 PM   #17
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROMODVETTE View Post
Yes it is a sign, plus the novak esc's tends to be large compared to other products. As stated above, Tekin is also an American company that has better ESC's than novak that are more adjustable. I have not run the new stuff, but heard its much better than the old ones (as far as throttle control goes). For American motors, Trinity will be your best option. They pretty much dominate in stock classes.
Trinity motors are not "Made in America
Built in China like most motors out there
just sayin

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:30 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)

Ok to be clear, American designed from an American company, manufactured in China At least they are different enough that you can't tell which factory they come from.

Edit - just looked at an article about Novak... carefully worded as if they are also manufactured in China as well.

http://www.rccaraction.com/blog/2013...an-motor-line/

Statements like "Novak uses 100% made in the USA, 99.9% copper wire" and "The Vulcan Mod stators are designed and tested at the Novak facility in Irvine, California" make me believe they are indeed Chinese too. So are there any motors actually made in USA?
PROMODVETTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 12:19 AM   #19
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROMODVETTE View Post
Ok to be clear, American designed from an American company, manufactured in China At least they are different enough that you can't tell which factory they come from.

Edit - just looked at an article about Novak... carefully worded as if they are also manufactured in China as well.

http://www.rccaraction.com/blog/2013...an-motor-line/

Statements like "Novak uses 100% made in the USA, 99.9% copper wire" and "The Vulcan Mod stators are designed and tested at the Novak facility in Irvine, California" make me believe they are indeed Chinese too. So are there any motors actually made in USA?

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 12:57 PM   #20
Tech Initiate

+1 on that RedBull.

Motors are fundamentally easy to make. Maybe we have a niche here. USA parts, USA made motors...perhaps sold as a kit...stock or modified.
Hmm
TurboJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 01:35 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

R & D in China means Rip-off and Duplicate.

I do like that R07 nascar block, has a nice mean look to it, dry sump an all. The best Chevy small block ever looks like a Ford, wedge heads with the distributor at the front
Current rides: Diggity DC4 Chassis #10. Losi JRX-S Type R. Losi 22 4.0, CRC Xi (retired), CRC Altered Ego Aluminum Chassis. Associated B4 based dirt oval late model.
WTB: Carpet racing in Arizona.

Last edited by DesertRat; 05-07-2014 at 01:47 PM.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 03:21 AM   #22
Tech Regular

hi guys , i am also new to 1/12th and i think most kits are good these days or so i have been told, i got the serpent s120 mainly because i have always associated serpent with pan car albeit 1/8 and also parts are cheap. having a blast learning this car as i run it not in its familiar surroundings as i run it outdoors on asphalt with 4.5t motor, car is a rocket in straight line , just have to be careful with the throttle.
cheers
oldenuff
oldenuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 10:13 AM   #23
Tech Adept

@Oldenuff,
You run 4.5T on outdoor asphalt.
What tires do you use (F/R) ? and how long does 1 set of tires last ?
Clawhammers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 07:08 PM   #24
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I also run 4.5t on asphalt, our track traction varies day by day, most people run F/R in 32/30. 35/32 or 32/32 shore SpeedMind tires.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:41 AM   #25
Tech Regular

hi guys sorry for the delayed response, i am still learning the car and have not done much driving with the car unfortunately, havent had much of a chance and when i did a few days ago it rained i ran ulti foams medium front and back to start with then briefly tried with soft out the back, i didnt get a good go at it with the softs at the rear and will try again shortly but i am hopefully i can get it to hook up with these as the car has very little rear traction, so far i have learnt that the track needs to be clean and it runs better after other cars have used the track , when there is traction it is loads of fun but i still have a lot to learn and am not in a position to drive it consistently enough to race it yet . i will get there though just need to experiment a bit when i get the time, there is some good info on this subject the serpent s120 link forum after i posed the question about trying to find more rear traction, trial and error will prevail and i hope to be flying around the track destroying the bigger cars in the coming weeks
cheers
oldenuff
oldenuff is offline   Reply With Quote