Wiki Posts
Search

Motor heat am I doing it wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 02:00 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Motor heat am I doing it wrong?

I know its kind of an oddball question but I don't experience near the heat I read others post about while running my car in 17.5 or USGT trim. My current setup is a AE tc4 tub chassis running a team scream Duo2 17.5 timing maxxed with a castle mamba max pro esc geared at 3.92fdr. Last time i was at the track(medium indoor carpet) I ran for a solid 20 minutes straight and when pulled my car off my motor was just barely warm to the touch I didnt have a temp gun but i'd say around 100 degrees I managed to repeat this same touch feel all day under race pace so it wasnt just a fluke thing. I knew shaft drive was more efficient than belt but didnt think it was that crazy? Should I just be happy and drive the wheels off it or is it worth gearing up and risk getting into hot motors?
Old 05-03-2014, 02:17 PM
Tech Addict

is your car as fast/ faster/slower than the others?this should give you the answer
Old 05-03-2014, 02:29 PM
Tech Regular

Im just as fast down the straight or maybe just a tick slower but around the whole track im just as fast and come out of the corners harder
Old 05-03-2014, 02:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

It could depend on timing as well but with that gearing u are geared to have low end not top end . U could drop 1 or 2 teeth on the pinion and still run cool nd probably out run them down the straight
Old 05-03-2014, 02:39 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by gooba
Im just as fast down the straight or maybe just a tick slower but around the whole track im just as fast and come out of the corners harder
then its worth dropping to 3.7 and see how the temps are then and see if you lose any infield speed,if it feels just as punchy coming off the corners and the temps are ok then its worth experimenting until you find the sweet spot ,test temps after three minutes then every minute ,if you run past five minutes be careful ,you only race for 5 mins so you should only practice for 5 mins,if you have a car on the sweet spot for 5 mins after 6 minutes it might be too hot
Old 05-03-2014, 03:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

It also depends on your driving ability. If you're not pushing your car super hard, the motor won't get as hoy either.
Old 05-03-2014, 03:16 PM
Tech Regular

Im probably going to drop to 3.7 but not much farther. to me personally and on that particular track accelleration is more important than top end as theres lots of corners and short straights.