R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-27-2005, 02:12 PM   #181
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Sorry for slightly deviating from the subject fellas.
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.
There are 2 things in life that are infinite: the universe and stupidity.
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 10:29 AM   #182
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsorguy99
. . . .
Also....have you noticed that more and more the class is being referred to as 1/10 Sedan as opposed to TC??
Actually, for me it was the opposite. "Sedan" was the term I knew historically, which I think is because I am North American. The term "touring car" was new to me, and took me quite a while to get used to.
MobileIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 10:33 AM   #183
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by daleepp
I got a chuckle out of your ideas of possibly using the Speed World Challenge series "rewards weight" - for rc sedan racing. I know it sounds totally disrespectfull of me to chuckle at your ideas, so I guess I should explain where I find the humour.
The thought of someone at ROAR actually researching out a viable wind tunnel and then taking the time to do all the very complicated and costly things you suggested is so unimaginable, all I can do is chuckle. Hey, ROAR has been a group of guys who for the last 12 years have had serious trouble with things as un-complicated as returning a phone call. (Tim Potter is the exception)

No offence please.

Dale
I understand. Anyway, I am currently tired of the issue. I recently found out what the next 6 odd months of my life are going to be. Apparently, my neighbour wants to subdivide his property. I am going to be involved in stopping him. That kills all my spare time for now. Oh well.
MobileIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 10:56 AM   #184
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLock
True that, Tim. The 10% is a fictious number I pulled just to make the point. Most racers never see that skill, along with the right set-up and tires play a bigger role in winning than just the body shell that is on top of it. When I started racing onroad r/c back in 1999, it was the Protoform Honda Accord that was the flavor of the time. Then, it was the Volvo S 60. Then came the first Stratus, then the first Alfa Romeo, the Stratus 2/2.1, the Alfa 2/2.1 and Parma version Alfa, the Mazda 6, and now the Stratus 3/3.1. Yes, there are other bodies out there but there are others that do work just as well as the "only" ones that most racers tend to use. It is unfortunate that many of those bodies have been discontinued. The point being is that many of us racers are bandwagon fans that jump on the first thing the "big boy racers" use to win, regardless of whether or not it fits our driving skills/abilities or circumstances. Many of us want more of a variety of legal bodies to run, other then the limited few that are produced or listed.

You honestly believe that there are bodies that work just as well as the Parma Alfa, and Protoform Stratus 3.0 and G6 for foam tire carpet? If so please let me know what they are so I can try them. I sincerely doubt that at Cleveland 2 years ago, all of Dale's drivers would have used the Parma Alfa had another competitive shell been available. Now we may see drivers sponsored by other companies running the G6. Believe me, Barry, Cyrul, Lufaso, Blackstock etc. are not "bandwagon fans" if it weren't better they wouldn't run it!
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 10:58 AM   #185
Tech Elite

Dale: Congrats on the win in stock foam. The new body looks like it's got a ton of potential.
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
Old 09-28-2005, 11:14 AM   #186
Tech Regular

@ IIC
Attached Thumbnails
NEW Proto-form G6 Body....-g6.jpg  
jrrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 11:17 AM   #187
Buyer Beware

this is a very nice body,i bet it would look good on my boyfriends 415....
HELLOkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 11:19 AM   #188
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrrc
@ IIC
That's Desrosiers ride isn't it?
Old 09-28-2005, 11:37 AM   #189
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CypressMidWest
You honestly believe that there are bodies that work just as well as the Parma Alfa, and Protoform Stratus 3.0 and G6 for foam tire carpet? If so please let me know what they are so I can try them. I sincerely doubt that at Cleveland 2 years ago, all of Dale's drivers would have used the Parma Alfa had another competitive shell been available. Now we may see drivers sponsored by other companies running the G6. Believe me, Barry, Cyrul, Lufaso, Blackstock etc. are not "bandwagon fans" if it weren't better they wouldn't run it!
Your statement kind of proves my bandwagon theory. Most racers run bodies because the "sponsored" guys run it, not because it helps the performance of their cars. I like to run bodies that help the set-up that I am running at a particular track or condition. One of the bodies I like to run that goes with my setups is the Volvo S60. However, I am forced to run what everyone else runs due to bodies being discontinued for whatever reasons. If Barry, Josh, Blackstone, etc, ran the Vauxhall Vectra body and won with it, most of you that post here would be hyping up the Vectra body and everyone will flock to the stores to buy them. And, it will not be because it is the best aerodynamic body for "your" setup or track/racing conditions, it will be because the big "sponsored" guys won with it at a big race. If I recall, many were hyping the Stratus bodies for years and now you can't find many running it anymore. It is still a good body, it is just not the "flavor of the month" with many of you because the G6 will be replacing the last "flavor of the month", the Mazda 6.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:45 AM   #190
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TimPotter

Actaully the Mazda is really the "Flavor of the Year+" I have not asked Dale, but I would be willing to bet it is not as easy as you would think to get a body licensed, at least from specific manufacturers. Not to mention the cost of car licenseing on a lot of differnt bodies. You license what sells, sell what works. ( from the racing perspective)

Quote:
Your statement kind of proves my bandwagon theory. Most racers run bodies because the "sponsored" guys run it, not because it helps the performance of their cars. I like to run bodies that help the set-up that I am running at a particular track or condition. One of the bodies I like to run that goes with my setups is the Volvo S60. However, I am forced to run what everyone else runs due to bodies being discontinued for whatever reasons. If Barry, Josh, Blackstone, etc, ran the Vauxhall Vectra body and won with it, most of you that post here would be hyping up the Vectra body and everyone will flock to the stores to buy them. And, it will not be because it is the best aerodynamic body for "your" setup or track/racing conditions, it will be because the big "sponsored" guys won with it at a big race. If I recall, many were hyping the Stratus bodies for years and now you can't find many running it anymore. It is still a good body, it is just not the "flavor of the month" with many of you because the G6 will be replacing the last "flavor of the month", the Mazda 6.
Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost
TimPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 01:23 PM   #191
Tech Addict

Exclamation What?

JLock: Still trying to figure out this body thing I see.

Mazda 6 = apple
G6 = orange

Dale - PROTOform
daleepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 01:42 PM   #192
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brian McGreevy Send a message via Yahoo to Brian McGreevy

Jlock,

You must've not heard Scotty's interview of Barry Baker at the race. Barry said that the Parma Alfa and the G6 are both excellent carpet bodies. He said that for his car, it was more free through the corners with the G6, and thus faster. Now this isn't the case for every persons' car, but for Barry, he chose the G6 because it WORKS not because it's new and the body of the month. It'll be nice to see a change of pace at races having at least 2 excellent carpet bodies now...although it was getting so darn easy because all you'd ever get for carpet was the Parma Alfa till now!

Dale, looks like you sure did your homework and came out with a great body. Good luck to you!
USVTA Member #211

Support Formula SAE - get kids into engineering!
http://motorsports.illinois.edu/
Brian McGreevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 01:46 PM   #193
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by daleepp
JLock: Still trying to figure out this body thing I see.

Mazda 6 = apple
G6 = orange

Dale - PROTOform
I have my body thing figured out. I just tire of the racers that think that the body is the only reason why Baker, Cyrul, Swauger, et. al. the sponsored guys win races. Those same guys won last year with the Mazda 6; before that, the Stratus 2.1. Those guys figured out the track, conditions, the correct setup of their cars, and how to get their cars around the track as fast as they could on the shortest line around it. The body plays a part in it; it is just not the only thing like some would have you to believe. But, the G6 bandwagon is rolling on by and I see the masses lining up, ready to jump on it as it rolls past them!!
Old 09-28-2005, 01:57 PM   #194
Tech Master

Quote:
True that, Tim. The 10% is a fictious number I pulled just to make the point. Most racers never see that skill, along with the right set-up and tires play a bigger role in winning than just the body shell that is on top of it. When I started racing onroad r/c back in 1999, it was the Protoform Honda Accord that was the flavor of the time. Then, it was the Volvo S 60. Then came the first Stratus, then the first Alfa Romeo, the Stratus 2/2.1, the Alfa 2/2.1 and Parma version Alfa, the Mazda 6, and now the Stratus 3/3.1. Yes, there are other bodies out there but there are others that do work just as well as the "only" ones that most racers tend to use. It is unfortunate that many of those bodies have been discontinued. The point being is that many of us racers are bandwagon fans that jump on the first thing the "big boy racers" use to win, regardless of whether or not it fits our driving skills/abilities or circumstances. Many of us want more of a variety of legal bodies to run, other then the limited few that are produced or listed.
A little question/correction; You mean Volvo S 40 right?
The S 60, Protoform molded, that came much later, is based on a non drivable prototype version ( called PCC ) ( http://images.google.se/images?q=Vol...m=10&hl=sv&lr= ), that was "a teaser" with some radical details like front splitter, bigger air intakes etc. just make as much difference from the production cars, but still exciting enough to create an interest for the coming model, witch in this case was the "R-line" models. But that was extra information.
I do think that the S 60 could still be a great body as it have a pretty strong " cab forward" design.
Many times we read or hear people say that as soon as "the pros" is using a new model, and winning with it, "everybody" feel they have to follow that, in order to have the right or the latest, or at least " the same" as the winner.
Well, this is not a bad thing. Pro-drivers test them all, and choose there bodies upon performance. they same money and expensive test time for "the local guy". Every bodie have there own + and -. Its a tuning item, and following the fast guys is a pretty good indicator of what works. otherwise they would not use them in the first place.
I think there are many skilled creators out there with many realy good products. but I like to point out that I very much appreciate Dale, as he is the only one we can talk to, and is willing to give us his thoughts.
Keep up the good work Dale
Anders Myrberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 02:08 PM   #195
Tech Regular

Well taken but not all body's work with the different track, this summer i tried the 3.0 stratus outdoor with rubber and the car was all over the track and i then tried the mazda6 andit handle much better, now this weekend i tried the mazda on carpet it was good but the stratus was better so there you go different body for different tracks.
Ramyuras is offline   Reply With Quote