Serpent S411 Eryx 3.0

Serpent S411 Eryx 3.0

Old 10-06-2014, 01:42 AM
Les
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Weight

Originally Posted by Benzaah
I'm at 1420gr with a 7200 lipo and a heavy wtf fan and alloy mount behind the motor. Drops right on 1380 when you have a 6000 lipo and no fan.
Thanks Mate!!!!!
Old 10-06-2014, 12:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Les
Hi There,

Was wondering what the new Serpent electric weighs out of the box, race ready.
Cheers Guys
Les
My car comes in at 1380, but I have to run a 12 gram weight in the center to make weight. Thats with a fan and a 7200 SMC battery,(spool in the front).

Originally Posted by Benzaah
I tested the RRS system on our tight indoor asphalt track and I had some mixed results. I feel with more testing that I'll really like it. After throwing it together with the front end out of my spare car I tested nearly a whole day before I found it made my rear end wider. Doh! I found with the height of the links on the chubs that I had to run a low roll center which I didn't sort out yet as I normally run a high center with longer links. Once I test some short links, tighter rear diff fluid and a skinnier wheel base I think I'll get the rear end how I really like it. I'm surprised considering I botched it together that it's made the twisty sections of the track much more drivable. I set the rear toe to 2.5 degrees static and was gaining to just over 4 degrees at full compression.
Awesome. If they end up using it at the worlds I'm sure there will be more input on it. I forgot to mention the roll center and car width will be effected when going to the ARS setup, sorry. Looks like your on the right path to success with it.
Old 10-08-2014, 02:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
My car comes in at 1380, but I have to run a 12 gram weight in the center to make weight. Thats with a fan and a 7200 SMC battery,(spool in the front).

Awesome. If they end up using it at the worlds I'm sure there will be more input on it. I forgot to mention the roll center and car width will be effected when going to the ARS setup, sorry. Looks like your on the right path to success with it.
I'm running a full weight body with lots of paint so that would add a good 30g from a lw shell I imagine.

As for ars do you think going to a 2.0 rear block would cure the wheel base issue? I'm starting to think the length of the wheelbase is also affected. Would you be making the front and rear roll centers similar now too? Ie raise the front up to match the rear and possibly run a little less camber to take some of the edgyness out? I'm thinking Ltc over speed 6 for shell to as the speed 6 locks my rear a bit too much when trying to get the rotation working well.
Old 10-12-2014, 04:25 AM
tlp
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
Shims change for sure but also you'll notice the plunge angle going into the spool/diff changes as does the height of the bearing location in the hub. This should give you a similar feel as changing the diff height from low to high.

Just in case you fellow Serpent drivers don't know as it isn't really made public, but if you have the V2 upper shock bulkhead mounts, the ones with the 3 holes for camber adjustment, you can run your diffs in either the high or low settings. This can really free your car up in some situations.

And the rear bump steer, I'm pretty sure I mentioned it in 2012, but glad to see they are going to make it a tuning option.
hi sorry to bring an old one back but what does this do to the feel? Both sapping knuckle around and diff high vs low. I ran knuckles swapped today and it felt good but I didn't get a chance to swap it to default to see the difference
Old 10-14-2014, 10:21 PM
Les
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Weight

If someone can give some info be appreciated, I have older model Serpent S411 sports.

I was wondering what is the weight of the new S411 with all the electrics except battery, including transponder, so basically race ready without wheels, body & battery.

Regards
Les
Old 10-20-2014, 08:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Originally Posted by Les
If someone can give some info be appreciated, I have older model Serpent S411 sports.

I was wondering what is the weight of the new S411 with all the electrics except battery, including transponder, so basically race ready without wheels, body & battery.

Regards
Les
I'm not sure what the weight is without battery and body, but I had to add 20 grams to my Eryx 3.0 for it to meet minimum weight (1375 grams) at IIC last week. That's including the RRS installed too!
Old 10-20-2014, 08:53 AM
Tech Elite

My first experience at racing in IIC is "in the books" and I must say that I have never been so impressed with a Touring Car chassis as I am with my Eryx 3.0. I spent 1 day practicing without the RRS in my car and I was getting laps in the low 12's (12.3 - 12.4 sec range). Then I installed the RRS and my car was so much easier to drive through the tightest corners. My laps improved by 0.8 secs! After 4 qualifiers I was sitting in 3rd place on the grid for the A-Main of Amateur TC. All of my friends in Dallas were surprised and (frankly speaking) so was I. The Eryx 3.0 is now legendary in my book. I was disappointed by fact that I was the only person with a Serpent car at IIC. However I had plenty of setup help from Paul Lemieux (who drives for Xray) and Manny Flores (who drives for Awesomatix). Tons of thanks to Paul and Manny for all the help.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Ran my 3.0 for the first time yesterday and my lap times drop right into the 10.s at my local track. I have been dropping 11.4s for the last 3 weeks with the 2.0 and doing all kind of changes and could not get into the 10s. same motor same gearing.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:07 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gearhead_22
Ran my 3.0 for the first time yesterday and my lap times drop right into the 10.s at my local track. I have been dropping 11.4s for the last 3 weeks with the 2.0 and doing all kind of changes and could not get into the 10s. same motor same gearing.
Last year I ran a serpent s411 te, I ran my new 3.0 at my local track for the first time yesterday, factory set up, same motor, gearing,tires. I had two practice days before yesterday's race, my fastest lap times have dropped from 9 seconds flat to 8.6, and my average from 9.5 to 9.2. This translates into almost two more laps, and runing with a faster group of guys.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:53 AM
Tech Elite

You know... with so many people experiencing better lap times with the Eryx 3.0, I am surprised that there was only one Serpent chassis at the 2014 IIC. I didn't go to Snowbirds this year, but I went in 2013 and I saw 5 or 6 Serpent Eryx 2.0's there. I guess that IIC just doesn't bring in the Serpent owners.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:11 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by wwddww34
My first experience at racing in IIC is "in the books" and I must say that I have never been so impressed with a Touring Car chassis as I am with my Eryx 3.0. I spent 1 day practicing without the RRS in my car and I was getting laps in the low 12's (12.3 - 12.4 sec range). Then I installed the RRS and my car was so much easier to drive through the tightest corners. My laps improved by 0.8 secs! After 4 qualifiers I was sitting in 3rd place on the grid for the A-Main of Amateur TC. All of my friends in Dallas were surprised and (frankly speaking) so was I. The Eryx 3.0 is now legendary in my book. I was disappointed by fact that I was the only person with a Serpent car at IIC. However I had plenty of setup help from Paul Lemieux (who drives for Xray) and Manny Flores (who drives for Awesomatix). Tons of thanks to Paul and Manny for all the help.
Great! Please share the RRS setup with blocks etc.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wwddww34
You know... with so many people experiencing better lap times with the Eryx 3.0, I am surprised that there was only one Serpent chassis at the 2014 IIC. I didn't go to Snowbirds this year, but I went in 2013 and I saw 5 or 6 Serpent Eryx 2.0's there. I guess that IIC just doesn't bring in the Serpent owners.
First off congrats on your IIC results. Your disappointment pales in comparison to Nick and myself. We had full intentions in attending this race, until I injured my back and could not travel at all . If I remember correctly last year we had 3 Serpents at the IIC, but the the year previous I was the only one there, so I know what you mean.

As far as the car goes, please be sure to get your setup posted as I'm sure a few people would be interested in seeing it. Again, congrats. (Are you David Walker?)
Old 10-20-2014, 12:11 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks Gary! Yes I am David Walker.

Holmenkollen, here is the RRS setup I used:

Initial rear toe in (when the car is sitting still) is set to 2.0 degrees.

As far as the rest of my car's setup, I used Cody Woods' setup from his Southern Nationals race in September. See the attached JPEG sheet.
Attached Thumbnails Serpent S411 Eryx 3.0-setupsheeteryx1.jpg  

Last edited by wwddww34; 10-20-2014 at 03:18 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hi guys.

How are you able to use Yokomo spring with the Eryx 3.0?

Thanks.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:22 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by february
How are you able to use Yokomo spring with the Eryx 3.0?
I have not tried the Yokomo springs, but I know Marc Fischer uses them. I used the Xray 2.3 springs on my Eryx 3.0 at IIC.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.