Wiki Posts
Search

Getting back into the hobby - need help

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 04:58 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Getting back into the hobby - need help

Hi everyone,

I was dabbling in the hobby about 15 years ago, but want to get back into it now, and a lot has changed. But I want to keep things relatively budget friendly while I get back into it.

I'm thinking of 1/10 touring cars and my local track runs a VTA 17.5 class.

I'm looking at the following items and wanted to know if anyone here has any input on any of them for someone like me looking to just get back into the hobby and build up some driving skills.
  • 3 Racing Sakura XI Sport
  • Spektrum DX4C Radio
  • IMAX B6AC V2 Professional Balance Charger/Discharger
  • Turnigy nano-tech 6000mah 2s2p 65~130C hardcase lipo pack
  • Trackstar 17.5 motor with 80A ESC

Thanks for your time!

*Sorry, I don't have the privileges yet to post direct links to these items.
Old 03-23-2015, 05:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

The spektrum radio is a good choice.
Old 03-23-2015, 05:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

I understand keeping it budget friendly, but you may want to go with another car for a couple reasons. How readily available are parts? Do you plan on purchasing several spares, or does your track carry them in stock. Are others running the car so that you can get help on race day. This could come in the form of set up help or spare parts. Trust me, being the only one at the track with your brand of car can be a huge pain. But I like figuring out set up. You may want to go with a TC4 or a used AE 6/.1/.2 or a used X-ray T3 or newer. Lots of support and usually lots of people running those chassis.

The radio is a great beginner radio, you also might want to pick up 1 extra battery. Just to make sure you have one charged when you need it. I made the mistake of getting way too many batteries when I got back int the hobby a few years ago, but I would always have at least 2 per car. You might also want to avoid the 2s2p cells as it's actually 4 cells in a pack and won't be able to be truly balanced when charged. It also might not fit the car. Check the dimensions. It needs to be a same size as a 2s1p (or normal/standard) 7.4v lipo. You also don't need the 130c rating. 50-60c will do just fine to start with.

The other item you left off your list that few people think about is a transponder. They go for $70-$125 used and new. And if you want to race, you will need one. The other stuff can get you by to start with. I would recomend HobbyWing for the motor and ESC combo. They are a great company with great customer service.

Sticking to a budget is great. But don't sacrifice quality and ease of use for to save a few bucks. You'll pay more in the long run. Both in actual dollars and in aggrevation.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Get some MIP tools as well. You will need at least two of them..
Old 03-23-2015, 07:37 PM
Tech Rookie

Great advice so far. Thank you. I do like the aspect of building a kit from scratch to get better acquainted with it, but you've given me more to consider.
Old 03-24-2015, 03:02 AM
Tech Regular

I would advice a Sanwa MX-V Radio.

Very good price, Sanwa quality and every menu setting you need for racing.
Besides that, a waterproof receiver, for what it's worth it for you...
Old 03-24-2015, 05:51 AM
DBM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Govert
I would advice a Sanwa MX-V Radio.

Very good price, Sanwa quality and every menu setting you need for racing.
Besides that, a waterproof receiver, for what it's worth it for you...
I agree with this. Good radio and rx for $99. I have a Spektrum dx4s and regret buying it. It is not the same quality as similarly priced sanwa airtronics/futaba radios.

I've been using the trackstar 17.5/80A turbo esc combo for a year now with zero problems. For the price, it is a good system.

Another good budget car that can be decently competitive is the Spec-R S2. They are $90-$130. If you want to spend a bit more, the spec-r R2 is working well for those who use it.

I just got into the hobby a year ago so was in the same situation as you. The biggest regret I have is the Spektrum radio. I should have bought an airtronics or futaba.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:46 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks again for this info. The Sanwa looks great, and I've done some research and it does appear the Spektrum does have some issues, so I appreciate this feedback.