R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-16-2014, 08:32 AM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 132 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by samnelso View Post
Not a direct answer to OP question, but make sure the sensor circuit is working properly. Recently I've had a speedo with a bad sensor pin that affected motor top end. Low end seemed fine, but once at a certain RPM the motor deployed the chute. Took a while to figure out.
Hm, how did you find this out. I am still fairly new to the eletronic side of the hobby. I generally run my esc/motor for a couple of years as long as they are still competitive. How could you tell that it was a sensor circuit. What is a sensor circuit haha.
thecaptain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:36 AM   #17
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Thanks guys!
I am running speed passion GT series speedos. I have GT2.0 pros and 2.1 stock spec esc's. To qualify my question, my car setup is pretty dang good on both my TC6.1wc and my 6.2. I've had a couple team guys drive it and they say it's better than their own car. That being said, I am consistently 3-5 tenths off the pace and when following the faster guys, they pull away from me out of the corners fairly easily and pull harder down the straight.
I just ordered the HW v3.1 as it uses the same programming box as the SP gear but uses the latest software available. Just ordered ceramic bearings as well in the hope that the lighter weight and lower friction will help to free up the drivetrain. I've got good batteries (TP 65c race spec) and a nice stable of motors including the new orca TX 13.5.
Thanks again for your input guys!
R-Factor RC- TC4-R, P8 PanCar
Not as Fast as I want to be but too old to Whine about it... 8-)
YoDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:40 AM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I have ran 5 different esc in the past 6months
Lrp sxx 1s . Loved it hands down best esc I have ever owned ....wile it worked (pluged battery in backwards)
lrp sxx tc spec . Same feel as the 1s but heavier . ... (loner esc)
Hobbywing xtreme stock . Breaks suck , super smooth, decent punch but not best .
hobbywing 120a 1s v2.1. Love everything but size this is my 2nd fav esc to own. And only $85 on line
orca Q spark. Smoothest esc I have ever ran but didnt have the explosive punch I needed on a small tight layout . The lightest esc of my units
novak gtb3 currently installed . All is good with this unit but would prefer either of the 1s escs more .
jlfx car audio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:48 AM   #19
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by cplus View Post
Ask 10 people, get 10 different answers to this question I think.
+1

I will make the A on most club nights, using a Tekin RS Pro gen 1.

Others in front are using a Hobbywing.

The mistake some make is that you mould the setup of the ESC into your driving style, not the other way round

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:51 AM   #20
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecaptain View Post
Hm, how did you find this out. I am still fairly new to the eletronic side of the hobby. I generally run my esc/motor for a couple of years as long as they are still competitive. How could you tell that it was a sensor circuit. What is a sensor circuit haha.
He is referring to the sensor wire that connects the motor to the ESC or Vice Versa. Sometimes the sensor wire does go bad from stretching, pinching or simply being wore out which leads to the motor not reading "all signals" from the ESC/Motor running "Sensored". This can result in some performance loss or worse (most cases) the motor not running at all.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:41 AM   #21
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEED-MORE-SPEED View Post
He is referring to the sensor wire that connects the motor to the ESC or Vice Versa. Sometimes the sensor wire does go bad from stretching, pinching or simply being wore out which leads to the motor not reading "all signals" from the ESC/Motor running "Sensored". This can result in some performance loss or worse (most cases) the motor not running at all.
Yes, but in this case it was a little more subtle. Sometimes just replacing the sensor wire fixes issues. Here, it was a loose pin in the ESC itself. I was noticing sporadic periods of poor performance with the issue becoming more frequent. Tapping a board in a race led to the discovery of the mechanical contact issue. Referring to the circuit I meant the wire as well as the ESC and motor sensor boards.

Back on topic, to me the motor is the big definer in blinky, although the 13.5s I've seen have similar performance across the board. Are you using good batteries and have you verified the gearing and end bell timing are appropriate for your application. How about the motor rotor, using a HT? Not to take away from the importance of the ESC, but my personal experience leads me to believe it's not the most important factor in blinky, at least on the acceleration side of things. Brakes may be a different story.

RC Excitement: Fitchburg, MA | RC Madness: Enfield, CT | Horsham RC
samnelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 10:32 AM   #22
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyujmn View Post
It'll help if we know what you're currently running.

However, that being said, no, I don't believe that a different blinky ESC/motor will suddenly make you a better driver. I've driven Hobbywing's cheapest ESC (Justock) and it's most expensive "best" ESC (Hobbywing v3.1) and every on road ESC in between and never felt like the ESC was holding me back.

There have been guys at my local track running Novak Edges and Hobbywing Justocks and doing very very well in blinky.

My preferred ESC for all blinky on road classes, however, is the Hobbywing v3.1 Stock Spec. It's lightweight, low cost, and has TONS of settings. Super easy to setup using a programming box and it can even run down to a 5.0t motor if you ever feel the need to move on up to mod. I feel that its price and performance is heads and shoulders above the rest.
I'm not looking to a new ESC to make me a better driver. For the most part I am pretty good and consistent but looking for that last 10% that will get me closer to where the higher end competition is. I always seem to be out paced in the power department when racing at bigger events. Locally my SP gear does the job nicely. I ordered the V3.1 as I do run Mod from time to time however most of our local tracks are a bit too small for low turn mod motors so I run 13.5t boosted and it's faster around our track because it's much smoother.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:55 AM   #23
Suspended

Smile

Best blinky ESC is Novak impact with Xdrive !!! Lightest weight, Xdrive for fast top speed, etc..... The Impact/Vulcan 17.5t combo is the best out there....
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 01:28 PM   #24
Tech Master

You need to be very meticulous to get every once of RPM/torque out of that motor. All the tips and tricks mentioned here counts. There is a reason why the new guys get blown out of the water in slower classes. ESC choice is only the tip of the iceberg. If you get over powered at the "big" events, that's because the team/sponsored drivers have access to the best rotors/stators/battery that rules allow. Again, every single ounce counts. People thought blinky would level the playing field/make things easier. It's just opposite of that. in fact, anything "stock/spec" will fall in there.
redbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 01:38 PM   #25
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to nikos2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by NITROBUSA View Post
Personaly I run viper, I like to be different and the viper have a lot more adjustment in blinky mode then any other esc atm.
Theres some who-haar going on about viper, people saying they should be illegal cause they allow more adjustment in blinky then others, but if they are so much better then why isn't everyone running them?
The options provided by our software are not any different from others. We worked very hard on the software to make sure we got the most out of what was legally allowed by the sanctioning body. Not only for power, but smooth control as well. As for your last question - we wonder that often!!
Sponsored By: Spektrum RC, Horizon Hobby, TLR, Maclan Racing, J Concepts
nikos2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 01:50 PM   #26
Tech Master

If there is any noticeable difference in speed between blinky "spec" ESCs, it would defeat the purpose of the zero timing spec.

I don't doubt there are slight differences in resistance, but the overall performance of all blinky spec ESCs should be very close to identical, as long as all other variables are the same. If one is actually faster, then it really shouldn't have been approved for blinky in the first place. Might as well bring boost back.
locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 02:09 PM   #27
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to nikos2002

We actually tested with a "independent" driver (not sponsored by us) one time - he ran 3 speed controls (will be politically correct and not mention them).

He found over the course of a run in TC they all ran with a .1 of each other, lap over lap, or a race distance. Same car, same motor gearing etc.

So yes, as mentioned above, it should be equal - its all the little things including fine tuning people have mentioned. And yes, some times people just plain drive better.
Sponsored By: Spektrum RC, Horizon Hobby, TLR, Maclan Racing, J Concepts
nikos2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 02:17 PM   #28
Tech Master

This is all good to hear.
I think it may still be time for me to update my electronics so I have placed the order and we shall see if I can make the needed improvements to catch up.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:19 PM   #29
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Exactly! If you're looking for that last 10%, the place to look is at the track, not at the electronics.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:30 PM   #30
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

What's the best? One you already have or one you can get for free. Spend the $200 on something else to go fast, like tires or track time.
Current rides: Diggity DC4 Chassis #10. Losi JRX-S Type R. Losi 22 4.0, CRC Xi (retired), CRC Altered Ego Aluminum Chassis. Associated B4 based dirt oval late model.
WTB: Carpet racing in Arizona.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote