Wiki Posts
Search

How To: Promote Sportman like Driving

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 07:12 PM
Tech Adept

Default How To: Promote Sportman like Driving

To all experience drivers and track owners:

Me been racing for almost 4 years and is becoming sick of attending meetings where I will be counting how many guys have taken me out today . Have anyone got any suggestions on how to make racers better drivers. I am sure they don't do it on the street. I am currently in the process of starting a new track in our local indoor sport centre and would like advice from anyone who have either idea or experience on how to stop bad driving.

I see that in the Reedy Race they have "warning" and "stop start penalty". What is that about, and would it work in a club based championship.

Thanks in advance~~~~
Old 07-20-2005, 07:22 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

If the drivers won't drive nicely then it's up to the race director to give out warnings or if it's serious enough, stop and go penalties. At my last local track the race director would have one of the corner marshals come to the tower with him to watch for aggressive driving.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Matt is right on. The only way to stop rough driving is for the hacker to be afraid that they will get a stop and go if they get to agressive.

They Reedy race has a penalty box. If you get a stop and go you have to drive into the box stop then go. If you dont stop in the box on the lap you are called in you get DQ'd for the round.

I also think club races should do heads up starts for qualifiers. Think about it. The only practice you get at heads up starts are the beginings of mains! Racers need to get a better grip on what they need to do to make a clean start.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Out here if someone takes someone else out they will have to make a stop and go and I think that far unless you made the other guy brake .
Old 07-20-2005, 09:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

The reason that drives people to unsportsmanlike driving is the drive to win.

Instead of attacking that bad habit. You should attack their fear of losing and they will learn to drive reasonably to avoid getting set back by a penalty.

Here's a scenario. Joe Racer has one last main to determine if he wins the race. All he needs to do is finish ahead of another racer and he'll win on points. He knows he has not received any warnings yet from the Race Director, so he decides to pull a fast one on the driver ahead of him and Joe takes the win as the other driver spins out from the fishtail manouver. The Race Director spots this and warns Joe Racer, but Joe Racer smiles quietly because this "first warning" was something he could sacrifice (without losing any points/time) to win the race.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Yea some people could be real jackass's
Old 07-20-2005, 09:52 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

no one said there HAD to be a warning. If a move is questionable then it would be warrented. If it's a blatant hack then you get a stop and go.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The stop-go seems to be one solution. Also, dont be scared to take someones best finish away because they hacked in the last lap thinking they couldnt get a stop-go, or subtract half thier laps or something equally result-damaging..

Watch any video of the pro's racing and see them accidentally spin an opponent - then wait for them to go back past fairly.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:14 PM
Tech Master

Default Honestly I think.....

some cars could use break lights. I've not been back in it long and am fully aware that I'm not as good as I used to be in 2wd off-road.

But with that in mind I will (depending on the corner) slow down rather than make a hash of it knowing that if I take the extra millisecond lol to set up entry right the rest should go well.

Unfortunately it is that "slowing down" that has caused so many rear enders I've lost count and that would be from the better/faster guys that can just drive better/faster.

It maybe unsportsman like but if it is I don't know on whos part.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Also, i'll add this..

I am from a heavy Karting background and similar things would always happen in those races - you would get hacked (or, punted as they called it in karting) and the chief official would always say "i didnt see it" blah blah blah. Of course, they cant see everything. It happened to me a few times and the problem was, I was a team driver for brand X, official was part owner of brand Y. I was punted by a driver from brand Y. I think you can see what im getting at here, bias can creep in and it makes the racers unhappy when they have to deal with it in thier officials. Be careful in your official selection.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:41 PM
Tech Adept

Out here in the wild west we do not expect our track officials to take care of our problems on the track. We do discreetly ...

Don't worry about the Hackers, they are equal opportunist and don't care who they run through, over and around. After a few races of being hacked, their racing "buddies" will take care of the problem.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

i am having the same kinda problem....

there is a guy at my club who constantly cuts you off/runs into you when you pas him/etc but i cant really tell him off cos he is a very good friend of mine.....he constantly breaks stuff when he runs into me and then blames it all on me....its always my fault. even if i am passing him

is there any way to have him realize he is ruining our race without him getting pissed at me?
Old 07-21-2005, 12:05 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Entropy
The reason that drives people to unsportsmanlike driving is the drive to win.

Instead of attacking that bad habit. You should attack their fear of losing and they will learn to drive reasonably to avoid getting set back by a penalty.

Here's a scenario. Joe Racer has one last main to determine if he wins the race. All he needs to do is finish ahead of another racer and he'll win on points. He knows he has not received any warnings yet from the Race Director, so he decides to pull a fast one on the driver ahead of him and Joe takes the win as the other driver spins out from the fishtail manouver. The Race Director spots this and warns Joe Racer, but Joe Racer smiles quietly because this "first warning" was something he could sacrifice (without losing any points/time) to win the race.

This kinda scenario has happen not only in RC but almost anywhere in the world.
THink about it.
Joe Racer = Michael S. From Formula 1 many years ago.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:14 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by AdR|aN
This kinda scenario has happen not only in RC but almost anywhere in the world.
THink about it.
Joe Racer = Michael S. From Formula 1 many years ago.
Yeah...After damaging his own car, he took out Damon Hill to retain the championship lead in the last race of the '94 (I think) season

Then he did it in 1997 to Jacques Villeneuve... (Only thing I didn't like about this incident is the fact Micheal couldn't take out Jacques successfully )

Last edited by BlackKat; 07-21-2005 at 12:43 AM.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:04 AM
Tech Elite

Ultimately, the penalties for bad driving rest in the hands of the organisers.

But stepping back, you can start controlling bad driving from the moment a new driver walks through the door.

Our club is almost a case in point - we like to run a relaxed meeting, and have pretty relaxed rules - but recently, there have been a number of people who mistake the relaxed rules as a licence to treat the meeting like a demolition derby.

My point is this - when you get a new racer, have a chat with them to introduce them to the rules of the track, and the rules of the club. Make it clear that any unsportsmanlike behaviour will result in penalties (stop/go box is a good one, or maybe retrospective time penalties, or even disqualification for serious incidents).

You could even make a point of starting each race meeting with a drivers briefing, just to remind people of the rules, and to clear up any questions beforehand.

Then, hopefully, people may realise that their conduct on the track needs to be of a certain standard. I honestly believe that most of the bad-driving incidents you see is because people just don't know race etiquette.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.