R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-09-2014, 08:16 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Questions?? Camber Adjustment. Need some expert advice! :D

Hey guys!

I'm really new to this forum so bear with me. Basically, I have a school project for which I am researching about how the camber of the rc car affects its top speed and its battery efficiency. The car I have is a TT01 EB (Beginner car as I am new to this) and I wanted to know what modifications I may have to make to the tie rods and front axle to be able to have negative camber, at least up to -5. (Not sure if thats too much to ask) (Enlighten me please). Calling all the pros out there to help me out on this!

Really appreciate any advice guys! Thank you in advance
Siddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:35 AM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

There is an adjustable arm set that is available for the tt01 that lets you adjust camber.

That being said, camber affects corner traction, and has a neglible ammount of affect on much to do with top speed. It might even decrease it as the tires wont have as much grip at high speeds with high camber angles.
ThePanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:12 AM   #3
Tech Rookie

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePanda View Post
There is an adjustable arm set that is available for the tt01 that lets you adjust camber.

That being said, camber affects corner traction, and has a neglible ammount of affect on much to do with top speed. It might even decrease it as the tires wont have as much grip at high speeds with high camber angles.
Thanks for the reply man! Would you have any idea on how much negative camber the set will allow me to have? I looked up a few sets online and they don't seem to specify so how do I find out the max camber I can set?

Well that is sort of what I will be concluding haha :P I am expecting it lower and I am performing the experiment to like prove my "hypothesis". Although, the focus of my experiment is on calculating the efficiency of the car through different camber angles.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:05 PM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I used to have a TT01 with the adjustable arm set, you can easily reach -5 camber front and rear. Since the parts are 2 pieces held together with a turn buckle you can always shave off material and tighten them more.

How are you going to go about measuring this? As stated above camber has a minimal effect on the efficiency of a car in a straight line. It is used to gain better traction in corners. When running large amounts of negative camber in a straight line it just wears the inside of the tire. I feel that with the slow speed of the TT01, and the very minimal affects of camber in a straight line, it will be very hard for you to gain any data on the efficiency of the car.

On this scale of car I would look at changing your hypothesis to do with toe of the wheels (angles in or out looking from the top). I feel this would be easier to measure, and would have an effect on speed and efficiency when driving in a straight line. Large amounts of toe definitely influence the car. For the TT01 you can buy an adjustable steering kit, which would allow you to change the toe of the front wheels to many different degrees. The rear wheels may be harder to toe in without multiple parts, and you may not be able to get high values of toe. But just front toe would have a large affect on the car, I would look into that.

If you have more questions pertaining to the car, there is a forum for the TT01 where you can ask many "experts" on the car, as far as parts and whatnot.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...-01-forum.html

I am a mechanical engineering student, so I'd be interested in hearin your results. Keep us updated!
-Ted
mschumi101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 01:44 PM   #5
Tech Champion

If camber is still your thing look into getting a car with very high camber angles possible. ie something in the 25+ degree range.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:16 PM   #6
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschumi101 View Post
I used to have a TT01 with the adjustable arm set, you can easily reach -5 camber front and rear. Since the parts are 2 pieces held together with a turn buckle you can always shave off material and tighten them more.

How are you going to go about measuring this? As stated above camber has a minimal effect on the efficiency of a car in a straight line. It is used to gain better traction in corners. When running large amounts of negative camber in a straight line it just wears the inside of the tire. I feel that with the slow speed of the TT01, and the very minimal affects of camber in a straight line, it will be very hard for you to gain any data on the efficiency of the car.

On this scale of car I would look at changing your hypothesis to do with toe of the wheels (angles in or out looking from the top). I feel this would be easier to measure, and would have an effect on speed and efficiency when driving in a straight line. Large amounts of toe definitely influence the car. For the TT01 you can buy an adjustable steering kit, which would allow you to change the toe of the front wheels to many different degrees. The rear wheels may be harder to toe in without multiple parts, and you may not be able to get high values of toe. But just front toe would have a large affect on the car, I would look into that.

If you have more questions pertaining to the car, there is a forum for the TT01 where you can ask many "experts" on the car, as far as parts and whatnot.

I am a mechanical engineering student, so I'd be interested in hearin your results. Keep us updated!
Thanks for your reply bro! Well my research question is still in its development stages so I guess I can take a relook at it. I will need to do some research about toe because I really have very little idea on how that works. Also, is the toe easily measurable? and will I be able to get at least 5 different toe values? Would it be possible for you to link me a sample steering kit? I have searched the web and each one looks so different I have no idea on where to go and get this.

Okay! I will go check the forum out! Nice! I'm thinking of mechanical/aerospace for my undergrad too Really appreciate your input m8 I will keep you updated here.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:17 PM   #7
Tech Rookie

Thumbs up

Quote:
If camber is still your thing look into getting a car with very high camber angles possible. ie something in the 25+ degree range.
Okay! So would I need a special steering kit for this?
Old 04-09-2014, 06:20 PM   #8
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

The steering would be almost infinitely adjustable for toe in. You can easily measure it with a ruler or measuring tape. With the steering centered on the car measure the distance the front of the wheels are apart, versus the rear wheels. You can get an angle from those measurements. Here is a short article on toe. I think it would be a very easy thing to measure in varying increments of both positive and negative values, and would probably give a noticeable/measurable change:

http://www.ozebiz.com.au/racetech/theory/align.html

As for an adjustable steering kit, literally any form of a ball stud and turnbuckle would work. You just turn the turnbuckle with a wrench to adjust in or out.
A simple turnbuckle like this would work best (this is for a larger offroad car though):
http://www.redrc.net/wp-content/uplo...TELinkages.jpg

As for sizing for the TT01, I would ask in the TT01 thread, because Im sure some guys have bought turnbuckles for the car and could give you a size.

http://kenjaraskits.files.wordpress..../wp_000257.jpg
-Ted
mschumi101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:03 PM   #9
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siddyboy View Post
Okay! So would I need a special steering kit for this?
usually for high camber angles without compromising something else on the chassis you would need a drift chassis. (or just any chassis with long turnbuckles that can be cranked down) but a drift specifc chassis would give you this, but probably be more than you want to spend.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:23 PM   #10
Tech Rookie

Smile

Quote:
usually for high camber angles without compromising something else on the chassis you would need a drift chassis. (or just any chassis with long turnbuckles that can be cranked down) but a drift specifc chassis would give you this, but probably be more than you want to spend.
Yea that would definitely be way over my budget. I have finalized my question and ill be researching on how camber and toe affect efficiency as well as top speed. Lets see how it goes. Thanks for your advice!
Old 04-12-2014, 08:27 PM   #11
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siddyboy View Post
Yea that would definitely be way over my budget. I have finalized my question and ill be researching on how camber and toe affect efficiency as well as top speed. Lets see how it goes. Thanks for your advice!
Great, I hope this works out well for you! Do share results, im sure manu people would be interested in hearing about it.
Old 04-13-2014, 05:56 AM   #12
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Not too surr what setup is used for offroad racing. For onroad here is my advise. The more camber the more traction in the corners. In most cases you should end up around -1.5 to -2 degrees for aspalt racing. Some go as far as -3 degrees but to me anything over -2 means you need to work on a better set up.

For indoor onroad carpet you mostly need to stay -1 or less because of the high traction. Cars will traction roll on high bite carpet. This will apply when the building has a good air conditioning system. A cold environment brings up an insane amount of traction. If no A/C is in the building then you won't have as much traction. Still good but not as much.

Good luck with your project.

Mr. Shookie goes home 10-06-08. Bill Levinson 4-14-15
F. Mendoza is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camber, modifications, mods, pros, tamiya