Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree164Likes

Tamiya TB Evo 6

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 12:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Question... have any of you tried turnbuckle positions other than the stock inside hole on the towers? I don't believe the 32mm turnbuckle allows the use of the outside holes, it's too long. I'm wondering if I should order the 23mm turbuckles (42117) to run shorter camber links, or is the inside position still plenty responsive?

I'll be running on high grip carpet and I usually run the shortest camber links possible. Thoughts?
Old 08-17-2014, 07:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

OK guys I raced my EVO 6 for the first time last night. On our asphalt track this car out of the box was as fast as my 418 that I have had a year of development. EVO 6 produced more consistent laps. We run the same layout every week the only veriable is this week we changed the traction spray and I think the grip level was lower then it has been on the past few months but saying that the EVO 6 was just as fast as my 418 on higher grip days. All in all me and many other racers were impressed by the performance level of the EVO. This car has corner speed and turns into the corner using a lot less brake.
Oh ya I did TQ and win.
Old 08-17-2014, 08:12 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by vivo quevas
OK guys I raced my EVO 6 for the first time last night. On our asphalt track this car out of the box was as fast as my 418 that I have had a year of development. EVO 6 produced more consistent laps. We run the same layout every week the only veriable is this week we changed the traction spray and I think the grip level was lower then it has been on the past few months but saying that the EVO 6 was just as fast as my 418 on higher grip days. All in all me and many other racers were impressed by the performance level of the EVO. This car has corner speed and turns into the corner using a lot less brake.
Oh ya I did TQ and win.
Sounds excellent! I have not raced mine yet, but a friend took his out last week and has also been really impressed.
Old 08-17-2014, 08:33 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by metalnut
I've reached out to Exotek before for a similar request, but they can't justify the R&D, tooling and manufacturing expenses for kits with very small market share. The EVO.6 is a unicorn, I doubt we could get them to make anything, especially since the cases would be complex to design and manufacture. Economics :-(
Tooling? Manufacturing? All you need is a 3D printer (albeit a good one). Not even that. Access to one. And a CAD file.
Old 08-17-2014, 04:36 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by niznai
Tooling? Manufacturing? All you need is a 3D printer (albeit a good one). Not even that. Access to one. And a CAD file.
Cool, lemme know when they're done.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:12 AM
Tech Initiate

Tried the EVO 6 in modified Saturday evening. 1:8 asphalt track first time ever after building it last week.
The only thing not withstanding the forces are the original front spool bevel gears. completely stripped due to breaking at the end of the straight.
Never had this problem with the EVO 5 MS. I will try again but will be using the bevel gears from the EVO 5 / TB 03 next time.

Original plastic 40t bevel gear and even the reinforced one are to flexible compared to the reinforced TB EVO 5 39t bevel gear.

The bevel gears for the transmission where replaced with one reinforced and one metal bevel gear from the DB02 leonis.

For the handling i can only say impressive right out the box.

Stock setup right out the box, 450 cst damper oil all around
Camber 1.5 front 2.5 rear, 5 mm ride height, Droop settings same as the Jilles 418 asphalt setup, Original Tamiya short white springs all around.

Tamiya Euro Cup in first week of September and wanted to know if the car could handle the forces, also the reason for using the Tamiya springs rather than the HPI or the TOP springs i have.

Room for improvement. but for first shakedown i was really happy.

Andre
Old 08-18-2014, 03:42 AM
Tech Elite

Cool, lemme know when they're done.
My son has one. Cough up the dough and you can have a pair of C-hubs in Titanium.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

He must be rich because the ones that can do metal are 100k-200k. The ones that can do titanium are even more expensive.

Most of the consumer grade printers are crap. The parts are brittle, require a lot of cleaning after being made and break down a lot.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:12 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Electr0n
Original plastic 40t bevel gear and even the reinforced one are to flexible compared to the reinforced TB EVO 5 39t bevel gear.
So I've seen this mentioned in this thread before, people using EVO.5 and EVO.4 ring and small gears. Other than an internal FDR reduction benefit, are those gears stronger than the EVO.6/TB04 carbon reinforced gears? Are they also smoother?

I have my driveline built and it's not as free as I'd like. The front spool is very free, but the rear diff feels like the gears have imperfections in them (which I'm sure they do) and still suffers from binding of the top carbon reinforced transmission case. I'm actually thinking of running a front diff, so that will further bind up my driveline. And yes, I've spent many hours shimming to find the least binding combination.

Just looking for tricks/options of how you guys are getting butter smooth gears (besides a break-in period). I'm going to try to chase half a dozen Awesomatix this season (stay out of Scale Spec, Mike ), so I'd love to get this car free spinning like crazy.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:35 AM
Tech Initiate

are those gears stronger than the EVO.6/TB04 carbon reinforced gears? Are they also smoother?

the rear diff feels like the gears have imperfections in them (which I'm sure they do).
Had the same problems and did not have them when building the TB-03.
In comparison the drive train of my TB-04 was not as smooth as the TB-03 drive train and still isn't after one season of driving the TB-04.

And comparing the TB EVO 6 drive train with the TB EVO 5 MS .. not even close.

But it also took me several weeks to learn how to perfectly build the EVO 5 MS. So there's still hope.

Are stronger and materials look different. Evo 5 Bevel gears can almost not be bend by hand, TB-04 / EVO 6 ones can.
Never had one failing in my own EVO 5 MS.

@metalnut
Also had one completely warped reinforced transmission case
luckily i had spare ones for the TB-03 and TB-04
Old 08-18-2014, 10:22 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by malkiy
He must be rich because the ones that can do metal are 100k-200k. The ones that can do titanium are even more expensive.

Most of the consumer grade printers are crap. The parts are brittle, require a lot of cleaning after being made and break down a lot.
More like 10k.

Higher than that you don't necessarily get more exotic materials but more accuracy (you can achieve REAL beyond .01mm tolerances, nevermind what the brochure says). But we're not making crankshaft bearings here.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:07 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by niznai
More like 10k.

Higher than that you don't necessarily get more exotic materials but more accuracy (you can achieve REAL beyond .01mm tolerances, nevermind what the brochure says). But we're not making crankshaft bearings here.
Good to know they've dropped in price. My information is a bit dated, 4 years ago. This particular printer is used for aerospace applications. I know some of our positional tolerancing can be as low as .005.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:19 AM
Tech Master

So I've seen this mentioned in this thread before, people using EVO.5 and EVO.4 ring and small gears. Other than an internal FDR reduction benefit, are those gears stronger than the EVO.6/TB04 carbon reinforced gears? Are they also smoother?

I have my driveline built and it's not as free as I'd like. The front spool is very free, but the rear diff feels like the gears have imperfections in them (which I'm sure they do) and still suffers from binding of the top carbon reinforced transmission case. I'm actually thinking of running a front diff, so that will further bind up my driveline. And yes, I've spent many hours shimming to find the least binding combination.

Just looking for tricks/options of how you guys are getting butter smooth gears (besides a break-in period). I'm going to try to chase half a dozen Awesomatix this season (stay out of Scale Spec, Mike ), so I'd love to get this car free spinning like crazy.
If you give me dimensions I can try and recreate the diff cover halves on catia v5. After that I can convert it to a stp file for use on 3rd printers.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:05 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Electr0n
Had the same problems and did not have them when building the TB-03.
In comparison the drive train of my TB-04 was not as smooth as the TB-03 drive train and still isn't after one season of driving the TB-04.

And comparing the TB EVO 6 drive train with the TB EVO 5 MS .. not even close.

But it also took me several weeks to learn how to perfectly build the EVO 5 MS. So there's still hope.

Are stronger and materials look different. Evo 5 Bevel gears can almost not be bend by hand, TB-04 / EVO 6 ones can.
Never had one failing in my own EVO 5 MS.

@metalnut
Also had one completely warped reinforced transmission case
luckily i had spare ones for the TB-03 and TB-04
My Tamiya friend has an EVO 5 that free-spins for over 20 seconds with wheels on, it's a work of art. His EVO 6 is nice too, but not nearly as free. He's having problems getting his TB04 to be free at all, so I think this is a common issue.

I ordered two sets of carbon reinforced cases from Banzai (so, total of 4 cases), and all of them have the same problem. They rock side to side along the middle when held together, and the top case has a smaller-than-necessary opening for the smaller of the two input shaft bearings.

My friend actually took my original warped case to TCS nationals to show to a Tamiya representative. I'm hoping something good will come out of that for all of us

In the meantime, maybe I should try the EVO 5 gears. Are they a direct replacement for the EVO 6 gears, or should I get additional parts to make them fit? Lots of sanding?
Old 08-18-2014, 12:08 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

Originally Posted by malkiy
If you give me dimensions I can try and recreate the diff cover halves on catia v5. After that I can convert it to a stp file for use on 3rd printers.
I have solidworks and actually do this now.

Thread: http://www.rctech.net/forum/tennesse...e-machine.html

I can also to Metal for a price.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.