R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree29Likes

Old 08-07-2016, 02:12 PM   #2146
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

That would be correct......lol..... Wow, that's very nice.....
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 08:23 PM   #2147
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Need some help. I am trying to get my weight down below 1400, can you guys give me some comparison weights:

Old 08-07-2016, 11:06 PM   #2148
Tech Adept

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubs View Post
Need some help. I am trying to get my weight down below 1400, can you guys give me some comparison weights:

My car is 1385 with a LTC-R lightweight body, Team Powers Pre-Mount tires, and a 325 gram battery.

For weight reduction you could do the following (savings are estimates based on experience):

Remove the ESC fan (8-10 grams)
Reduce wire length by orienting the ESC so the wiring posts are closer to the motor (possibly 1-2 grams)
Switch to higher gauge (thinner) wires (Weight savings varies)
Cut body posts to their minimum length (maybe 2-3 grams)

These solutions carry a minimal cost. If your budget allows you can do the following as well:

Switch to a low profile servo if you're not using one already (10-15 grams)
Aluminum & titanium screws (15-25 grams)
Whippler carbon center shaft
Exotek rear aluminum axles
TB04 Ball Differential
TA06 Light-Weight Front Direct Cup to replace the stock spool outdrives

Last edited by B. Santos; 08-07-2016 at 11:44 PM. Reason: grammar,
B. Santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 11:27 PM   #2149
Suspended

That is a very good looking car, but I think the minimum tc weight rules will go down to 1350gram soon after the Vegas IIC race in October....
I like the aluminum axles rear, but they should have also come up with aluminum dcj drives, plastic rear ball diff outdrives/dogbones, aluminum input shafts, on top of aluminum mcode motor screws, carbon fiber hinge pins, plastic droop screws, blitz(0.5mm) 60gram body instead of the 90+gram ltcr body, etc, .....
Essentially no steel parts in order to get down to 1350grams....
Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Santos View Post

My car is 1385 with a LTC-R lightweight body, Team Powers Pre-Mount tires, and a 325 gram battery.

For weight reduction you could do the following (savings are estimates based on experience):

Remove the ESC fan (8-10 grams)
Reduce wire length by orienting the ESC so the wiring posts are closer to the motor (possibly 1-2 grams)
Switch to higher gauge (thinner) wires (Weight savings varies)
Cut body posts to their minimum length (maybe 2-3 grams)

These solutions carry a minimal cost. If your budget allows you can do the following as well:

Switch to a low profile servo if your not using one already (10-15 grams)
Aluminum & titanium screws (15-25 grams)
Whippler carbon center shaft
Exotek rear aluminum axles
TB04 Ball Differential
TA06 Light-Weight Front Direct Cup to replace the stock spool outdrives
Old 08-08-2016, 01:00 AM   #2150
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

The Exotek lightweight spool comes out this month. That will drop the weight a few grams as will the carbon main shaft. Be carfull with the exo (or any other) rear aluminum axles. Great for weight savings, but will bend if you take a slider into the wall.

I run a stock exo6 with the carbon driveshaft and a gear diff front and rear in USGT with a pf10 body and SCM 6800. I'm right at 1450 with 45 grams added. It should be no problem to get your car to 1400ish. I am going to get the aluminum/to screw screw set and the new exo spool and c-hubs. I think I'll be able to hit 1350 no prob for the new TC rules and have to add weight for the 1380g USGT rules.

Tires have a large variation in weight from one brand to the next, so be careful with that. But cleaning up that wiring and moving the capacitor bank the lower deck will help.

Remember get the car light as reasonably possible (carbon hinge pins and plastic droop screws are not in this category), and have a good time. It's more important to have a balanced car vs a light car. I would recommend a good set of corner scales. That will help more than any other parts to lighten the car.
The brighter the picture, the darker the negative. USVTA member #112
theproffesor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 05:26 AM   #2151
Tech Elite

For USGT (which I understand is a spec tire class) I wouldn't bother with gear diffs. That alone would save all the weight you want.

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 05:49 AM   #2152
Tech Master

Aluminum or titanium axles will drop the weight dramatically. But expensive. Maybe replace the aluminum body post holder with the plastic TB04 version
Juan Aveytia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 07:29 AM   #2153
Tech Adept

The TB04 uses plastic mounts for the shock towers, that will save a lot of weight and lower the CG.

Steel axles in the front are for durability when using a spool, I believe.
Old 08-08-2016, 11:50 AM   #2154
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikO View Post
The TB04 uses plastic mounts for the shock towers, that will save a lot of weight and lower the CG.

[...]
I believe the Evo 6 uses aluminum, would the TB04 really be that significantly heavier?
Old 08-08-2016, 03:58 PM   #2155
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubs View Post
I believe the Evo 6 uses aluminum, would the TB04 really be that significantly heavier?
Saw your car this weekend. Deffenantly get a short servo and not an aluminum one. TQ flexable 14 gauge wires both to motor and battery. Move esc back towards motor and drop your receiver in between esc and servo. R1 makes a lightweight motor fan mount. Install motor fan directly above motor. So your center of weight isn't pushed outwards. Start with that by getting the car cleaned up with excess wires and clutter. That should help. Then titanium screws. You don't need a lightweight drive train being new and possibly hitting things. Durability is key when your new.
Josh-n-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 05:55 PM   #2156
Suspended

It is good to consider all the possibilities in order to get down to 1350grams, while staying ahead of the competition...
RC racing = Gram counting !!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by theproffesor View Post
The Exotek lightweight spool comes out this month. That will drop the weight a few grams as will the carbon main shaft. Be carfull with the exo (or any other) rear aluminum axles. Great for weight savings, but will bend if you take a slider into the wall.

I run a stock exo6 with the carbon driveshaft and a gear diff front and rear in USGT with a pf10 body and SCM 6800. I'm right at 1450 with 45 grams added. It should be no problem to get your car to 1400ish. I am going to get the aluminum/to screw screw set and the new exo spool and c-hubs. I think I'll be able to hit 1350 no prob for the new TC rules and have to add weight for the 1380g USGT rules.

Tires have a large variation in weight from one brand to the next, so be careful with that. But cleaning up that wiring and moving the capacitor bank the lower deck will help.

Remember get the car light as reasonably possible (carbon hinge pins and plastic droop screws are not in this category), and have a good time. It's more important to have a balanced car vs a light car. I would recommend a good set of corner scales. That will help more than any other parts to lighten the car.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:29 PM   #2157
Tech Elite

Default Lead Sled

Although a light car is very helpful, it is not the be all end all answer to a good car. At last year's Tamiya Worlds my TA06 tipped the scales at over 1520g

That being said, I'd prefer a light car with low rotating mass and unsprung weight any chance I get.
Attached Thumbnails
Tamiya TB Evo 6-image.jpeg  

Last edited by rtypec; 08-08-2016 at 08:58 PM. Reason: Chassis clarification
rtypec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 10:11 PM   #2158
Tech Addict

Hey Josh, I will make those suggested changes. Most of my screws are currently Titatnium with just a few that are steel. I am planning on buying the aluminum screws from ewippler. I will switch over to 14 guage wire as well. Thanks.
Old 08-08-2016, 11:04 PM   #2159
Tech Addict

Ok, I switched out the ESC for the Reedy 800z which doesn't have a fan, is generally lighter, and has 13 gauge instead of 12 gauge. I trimmed the wires extensively, switching the side of the battery leads to be closer to the motor. I also moved the Motor Fan closer to the center. These changes resulted in savings of 42 grams.
Old 08-09-2016, 09:11 PM   #2160
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

EVO6 OS-spec is definitely making grounds. Running neck-n-neck with all the fast-est (TRF418/TRF419/TA05/TA07/TB03/Exo6) 17.5 runners locally. I know you can't 'win practice' but it did make some folks turn their heads.

Unfortunately practice ended with a trip to the wall because steering link lost a screw during an on-track incident.. Thankfully, drivetrain suffered no damage.

podium finish is definitely in the cards now...

....to be continued

Last edited by OSherman; 08-10-2016 at 09:46 AM. Reason: make/model clarification
OSherman is offline   Reply With Quote