Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Gearing for Dummies. [HELP] >

Gearing for Dummies. [HELP]

Gearing for Dummies. [HELP]

Old 08-13-2005, 10:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Gearing for Dummies. [HELP]

OK I have a HPI Pro 2 and a Losi XXX-S G+. I am wanting to get the final rollout on both of the cars to 112-115. Can anyone help me.

On my XXX-S I am running a 128 64 pitch spur.
On my Pro 2 I am running a 87 48 pitch spur.

I am running rubber tires that are 63mm in diamiter on both cars. I do not know the internal ratios of either car.

I do not want just an answer like run a 28 pinion altough that is also needed. I would like someone to explain how they came to their answer.

Thanks so much for any and all help. I plan to race these cars tomorrow.
Old 08-13-2005, 10:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

try here www.gearchart.com ... you can calulate roll out youll need but you will need to enter your final for both cars as well ...
Old 08-13-2005, 11:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

You will need the following info to figure out your FDR or rollout

-what class/motor
-what is the track size
-is it tight or open layout

When I used to run a xxx-s on carpet w/foams I ran something like a 33/128 for stock. your tires ar a little bigger than my foams so you would proably want to gear it something like a 31 tooth pinion. this was on a tight layout and about a 90 foot straight.
use gearchart.com to find the internal ratio's and compute your rollout. I think you should be able to find out what to run when you get to the track. Just ask one of the fast guys, they should be able to help you or point you in the right direction.
Old 08-13-2005, 12:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mb racer
try here www.gearchart.com ... you can calulate roll out youll need but you will need to enter your final for both cars as well ...
Ok, But now I have a question. I went to www.gearchart.com and entered the gearing. Worked cool but I wonder about the pitch. I run 64 pitch in xxxs and 48 pitch in pro 2. When I enter it in the chart I do not see a difference. Does someone have an idea of how to combat this.
Old 08-13-2005, 12:47 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by DustinR
Ok, But now I have a question. I went to www.gearchart.com and entered the gearing. Worked cool but I wonder about the pitch. I run 64 pitch in xxxs and 48 pitch in pro 2. When I enter it in the chart I do not see a difference. Does someone have an idea of how to combat this.
There is no difference, Final Drive Ratio is the same regardless of 64 or 48 pitch. Only difference is the drive ratio of the transmission.
Old 08-13-2005, 02:10 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by DustinR
just enter the info. and your done .. as said before there's no diffrence and gear charts program will have you dialed in ... 64 or 48 pitch ..