Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Touring car tire size, is it time for a change? >

Touring car tire size, is it time for a change?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Touring car tire size, is it time for a change?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 06:32 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Foam tires would be great, cut to what ever size you want and all the traction you need
Old 04-07-2014, 06:46 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by magnum
Foam tires would be great, cut to what ever size you want and all the traction you need
Yes foam tyres are amazing. They never chunk, they keep a constant diameter, you only need one compound and they're great in the wet.

Oh hang on, that's rubber tyres, my bad...
Old 04-07-2014, 07:02 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I remember running 28mm and even 30mm foam tires in nitro touring car they really didnt perform any better or worse than 26mm to me
Old 04-07-2014, 07:50 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
They are blowing out because the belt is too thin - thinner than what is used by other manufacturers.
Exactly my point..wider tires are not going to help. Better construction to handle the weight spinning up is a better angle. This was happening before the nats in Illinois with another tire.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Nope
Old 04-07-2014, 08:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by frozenpod
I think you mean used to run 26mm with nitro TC then moved to 24mm.

We ran the 26mm as well and they didn't perform as well as the 24mm.
You may be right... things have blurred over the years.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I remember when I first got into onroad racing in 1999, via electric touring, it was 26mm rubber tire. We ran either Jaco S3 compound or HPI X-pattern tires. Then, the industry shifted to 24mm rubber tire about 2 to 3 years later. During that time, there were some that ran 22mm tires, that found set-ups that made their cars run like they were on rails. However, 22mm tires and rims were hard to come by because production was limited (HPI and one other manufacturer were the only two making the skinny tire). Eventually, ROAR outlawed the 22mm. During all of this, many clubs and some regional events dabbled with running foam tires but many complained at how expensive that became (due to cutting them down almost nothing on the rims) and 24mm rubber tire became the electric TC industry standard. A few of us in Dallas used the 28mm foams for 13.5 racing but that too eventually faded away.

I don't see why if rubber tire is the standard, racers don't start experimenting with 24mm fronts and 26mm rears. Since in nitro TC, they run 26mm fronts and 30mm rears which stabilized the cars somewhat at the high speeds they run, why not try to see what a slightly wider rear vs front tire would do on carpet/asphalt. Going back to foams will bring back a multitude of headaches. There is no need to increase or decrease the diameter of the tire (ie: rim) as to make the car look cartoonish. And, the only reason why I mentioned 26mm for the rear as no one makes or is tooled to make 28mm rubber tires (which will cost for retooling) and 24mm and 26mm tires are already available in the marketplace.

Last edited by JLock; 04-07-2014 at 02:33 PM.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JLock
I remember when I first got into onroad racing in 1999, via electric touring, it was 26mm rubber tire. We ran either Jaco S3 compound or HPI X-pattern tires. Then, the industry shifted to 24mm rubber tire about 2 to 3 years later. During that time, there were some that ran 22mm tires, that found set-ups that made their cars run like they were on rails. However, 22mm tires and rims were hard to come by because production was limited (HPI and one other manufacturer were the only two making the skinny tire). Eventually, ROAR outlawed the 22mm. During all of this, many clubs and some regional events dabbled with running foam tires but many complained at how expensive that became (due to cutting them down almost nothing on the rims) and 24mm rubber tire because the electric TC industry standard. A few of us in Dallas used the 28mm foams for 13.5 racing but that too eventually faded away.

I don't see why if rubber tire is the standard, racers don't start experimenting with 24mm fronts and 26mm rears. Since in nitro TC, they run 26mm fronts and 30mm rears which stabilized the cars somewhat at the high speeds they run, why not try to see what a slightly wider rear vs front tire would do on carpet/asphalt. Going back to foams will bring back a multitude of headaches. There is no need to increase or decrease the diameter of the tire (ie: rim) as to make the car look cartoonish. And, the only reason why I mentioned 26mm for the rear as no one makes or is tooled to make 28mm rubber tires (which will cost for retooling) and 24mm and 26mm tires are already available in the marketplace.
That's what I was trying to say...
You just did a much better job of it!
Old 04-07-2014, 02:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Problem is everyone wants everything "spec" so you don't get to try different things
Old 04-07-2014, 02:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by magnum
Problem is everyone wants everything "spec" so you don't get to try different things
I know, and to me, that takes the fun out of it. When I got into onroad racing, that was the fun part, trying to find the right tires, shock oils, shock springs, ride height, and gearing that got you into the competition mix. I personally don't like this "spec" thing the way it is being done now because I feel it is being done for the wrong reasons. In my area, they have "spec'ed" the tires for club racing at my carpet track. The tires chosen wear out quickly (luck to get two good race days out of them at $30 a set). I have tires in my possession that are slightly better and can get way more than two race days out of them but because of certain political things going on at my local track, I cannot run the tires of my choice.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JLock
I remember when I first got into onroad racing in 1999, via electric touring, it was 26mm rubber tire. We ran either Jaco S3 compound or HPI X-pattern tires. Then, the industry shifted to 24mm rubber tire about 2 to 3 years later. During that time, there were some that ran 22mm tires, that found set-ups that made their cars run like they were on rails. However, 22mm tires and rims were hard to come by because production was limited (HPI and one other manufacturer were the only two making the skinny tire). Eventually, ROAR outlawed the 22mm. During all of this, many clubs and some regional events dabbled with running foam tires but many complained at how expensive that became (due to cutting them down almost nothing on the rims) and 24mm rubber tire became the electric TC industry standard. A few of us in Dallas used the 28mm foams for 13.5 racing but that too eventually faded away.

Cars are a lot lighter than past years with the designs of cars and lighter batt/electronics. My guess is that 22mm tires might be worth the try for a new standard. Might not be viable for high grip conditions where you are already fighting to lower grip to avoid traction rolling. Maybe something innovative like the Chaparral 2J Fan car
Old 04-07-2014, 04:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

What type of tire are you running that wears out in 2 race days on carpet? I know sweeps and jacos last ALOT longer than that. Hell at my local track sime guys are running the same set of jacos that they ran at the snowbirds. The sweeps I have have 3 race days and alot of practice on them and the mold seem just wore off last time out.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:20 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

If anything we need to slow the cars down, not give them more grip to go faster, and maybe tires that last longer, not wear faster.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JayL
If anything we need to slow the cars down, not give them more grip to go faster, and maybe tires that last longer, not wear faster.
kinda like the path F1 2014 decided to take? Are we currently in the era of the group B days of rally?
Old 04-07-2014, 06:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Spec is great for events.

And it doesn't stop people testing different tyres for club days and practice.

Spec tyres for club days can work but are often problematic.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.