R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-09-2014, 07:29 AM   #76
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_dude View Post
I knew that I was setting my self up on the motor thing. Speed is intoxicating and it is awesome in the hands of the guys that can handle it.
Tire technology can certainly advance, the main issue would surely be the cost. Dollars can almost always solve any problem.
By the way, in passenger tire car design, the tread belts are the most defining tire performance component. Put them slightly off center or worse, with a center line that wanders and the tire will be crap. We spent a lot of engineering time and money making sure that they were cut straight and installed straight. If not you got lateral force variations that wreaked havoc to the tire and what ever you installed it on.
Tire technology certainly has not kept up with the rest of the industry. There has been plenty of money invested in battery, motor, ESC, and car design but very little in the tires that we use for racing. Like real cars (as you have mentioned), one tire does not fit all. You will never see a Corvette using the same compound rubber that you would find on an Accord. And, for the tires that are on the market, there is more concentration on the tread part of the tire than the whole tire (side wall as well as tread area).
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.
There are 2 things in life that are infinite: the universe and stupidity.
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:00 AM   #77
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantern Rouge View Post
Rick is correct in that the problems at the warm-up were manufacturer specific. Yesterday one of the racers put on a set of Sorex and all the issues went away. His car ran consistently throughout his run, turning low laps times from start to finish. Besides the belts being a bit thin they were not very straight and tended to wander a bit over the tyre.
Do you know what insert, was it a pre-built tyre or did they make up their own?
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 05:59 AM   #78
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLock View Post
Tire technology certainly has not kept up with the rest of the industry. There has been plenty of money invested in battery, motor, ESC, and car design but very little in the tires that we use for racing. Like real cars (as you have mentioned), one tire does not fit all. You will never see a Corvette using the same compound rubber that you would find on an Accord. And, for the tires that are on the market, there is more concentration on the tread part of the tire than the whole tire (side wall as well as tread area).
It was an interesting time when I worked for the tire company. The general public that hasn't had eyes on tire building (full size) has no idea how they are made and how much labor is involved. I have built tires and it requires a skilled worker to do that. Developing a tire is intensive and working with the car manufacturers is a pain. Believe it or not, the absolute highest quality tire you will own (other than exotics) will come on the new car. Any replacement is built to looser specs than the tire that comes on the car from the factory. It may not be the ultimate performer but it will be the smoothest. Some equipment is actually specified to build OEM tires only.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:22 AM   #79
Tech Elite

Quote:
It was an interesting time when I worked for the tire company. The general public that hasn't had eyes on tire building (full size) has no idea how they are made and how much labor is involved. I have built tires and it requires a skilled worker to do that. Developing a tire is intensive and working with the car manufacturers is a pain. Believe it or not, the absolute highest quality tire you will own (other than exotics) will come on the new car. Any replacement is built to looser specs than the tire that comes on the car from the factory. It may not be the ultimate performer but it will be the smoothest. Some equipment is actually specified to build OEM tires only.
I am starting to learn what not only goes into the building of a tire, but how the chemist formulate the rubber compounds that make up the tire. Yes, I am finding that it is more intensive than just "putting rubber into a mold". And, with r/c tire, the insert used is just as important as the tire itself. The rubber could be the greatest in the market but if the insert is crap and the nylon rim stinks, both causing the tire to wear/fail prematurely, the rubber quality is moot at that point.
Old 04-11-2014, 06:55 PM   #80
Tech Fanatic

A passenger tire is built up on a drum and all components are in place before it ever goes into a mold. No part of a passenger car tire is ever poured just to let you know. I believe that the R/C rubber tire is injection molded and therefore also not poured.
Just a little education.
Old 04-12-2014, 04:57 PM   #81
Tech Elite

Quote:
A passenger tire is built up on a drum and all components are in place before it ever goes into a mold. No part of a passenger car tire is ever poured just to let you know. I believe that the R/C rubber tire is injection molded and therefore also not poured.
Just a little education.
Dually noted.....................