R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-03-2014, 08:13 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Angry RC Redcat really strange problem.

Hi everyone,

I have been having some problems with my red cat
all the electronics and motor are no longer red cat.
ESC: Hobbywing wp-1040
Motor: Thunder tiger 17T(brushed)
Servo:Hitec HS-645MG
Receiver: spektrum DX2e

I just popped this new esc to replace my old one that was also having the same problem.

when I turn my car on I can turn the wheels left and right but if i press on the throttle the cars motor buzzes for a moment like it's trying to move the car and then it stops and esc starts blinking a red light.

my hobby shop doesn't have a clue what it could be because they said "we don't sell hobbywing parts so we can't help".

The car did work for a second when i first put this esc into the car but when I pressed about 15% throttle my car assumed i was pressing 100% and it smacked a wall and thats when the red light started and the when I did press on throttle there would be a 1-2 second delay but steering had no delay at all.

Hoping someone knows about this problem.

Thank you.
nazsenchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:19 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 60 (98%+)

did you calibrate the esc?

the motor might be toast
smokinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:23 PM   #3
Tech Rookie

the motor is new(ish) it has been running perfectly.
i honostly don't know how to calibrate the esc it didn't come with instructions(it says that the thing checks the throttle every time its turned on)

maybe it could be that the battery is low(im charging it now even though it is at about +70%
Old 04-03-2014, 08:24 PM   #4
Tech Rookie

I also put in my old 20T motor and it did the same thing and an old esc

EDIT
----

the cars receiver also has a green light that dims 75% when the car buzzes or goes full throttle
Old 04-03-2014, 08:38 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 60 (98%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazsenchuk View Post

the cars receiver also has a green light that dims 75% when the car buzzes or goes full throttle

that makes it sound like a spektrum brown out. the receiver is going into fail safe because its going under voltage.
smokinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:43 PM   #6
Tech Rookie

hmm i have no idea about what I can do. charge the battery to full? i can't afford lipo yet(esc has lipo cutoff)

EDIT
----

the esc starts blinking red after the spektrum "brown out"
Old 04-03-2014, 08:53 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Hi everyone,

I just popped this new esc to replace my old one that was also having the same problem.

when I turn my car on I can turn the wheels left and right but if i press on the throttle the cars motor buzzes for a moment like it's trying to move the car and then it stops and esc starts blinking a red light.

my hobby shop doesn't have a clue what it could be because they said "we don't sell hobbywing parts so we can't help".

The car did work for a second when i first put this esc into the car but when I pressed about 15% throttle my car assumed i was pressing 100% and it smacked a wall and thats when the red light started and the when I did press on throttle there would be a 1-2 second delay but steering had no delay at all.

Thank you.
Try talking to this guy, normally you need to reset the Neutral-Forward & Brake settings.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/members/...ing-52132.html

Good luck with your problem.

Noel
Daughter - VBC Racing - Spektrum DX3S - Hobbywing
Richards Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:01 PM   #8
Tech Rookie

okay i reset the brake and that helped the car actually move but now it likes to just assume im pressing 100% throttle but once the car hits something and stops the red light starts blinking and then i turn the car off and on and then it's going at about 50% of what it usually can. it's like the voltage drops

EDIT
===
the car receiver led dims when i press on the throttle and then it looses control and when i pick the car up and then press on the throttle the light turns off and the car looses power for a second and the comes back up

when i tap the throttle theres a delay and then the car holds throttle for a bit then it looses power.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:01 AM   #9
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Really sounds to me like you need to properly adjust the ESC. Get the instructions, read completely then follow carefully.

Rocky
rok55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 04:06 AM   #10
Tech Regular

You say you don't use a lipo, so I assume you use a NI-MH battery.
Also, the ESC has lipo cut-off. Maybe the cut-off is switched on. If that's the case, switch it off. The manual will tell you how to.

I don't know how old your battery is, but it might just be your battery unable to deliver enough power.

Another thing COULD be, your throttle is set to NOR(mal) or REV(erse). Try to switch from current setting and calibrate your ESC again.

First thoughts are ESC calibrating, lipo cut-off, or the battery (or a combination of those three).

www.machheemstede.nl
..................................Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-Gkh2xZcQU
Modified 4 life
Govert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 04:57 AM   #11
Tech Regular

I read the manual of the Hobbywing Wp-1060 ESC. That one seems to be a newer model, but I assume most of the hardware and software settings are the same as wp-1040.

http://www.hobbywing.com/uploadfiles...W-SM303ENG.pdf

Checklist:
--Make sure your EPA setting in your transmitter are set to 100%, brake and throttle. (For SPEKTRUM transmitters this setting is called TRAVEL)
--D/R to 100%
--ATL to 100%
--disable ABS in your transmitter
--like I assumed before, Futaba transmitters and some others, throttle direction needs be set at REV. Other ones need NOR.
--check motor polarity

--After calibration, how many times does the ESC bleep? This should be 1 time for NIMH battery.
--Read the PROTECTION FEATURES. " If the voltage of battery pack is lower than the threshold for 2 seconds, the ESC will enter the
protection mode, so the motor speed will be lowered till stopped. When the car stops, the red LED blinks to indicate the low voltage
cut-off protection has been activated.
2S Lipo 3"

--And the last two POI you can find in troubleshoot section:
"1. Plug the throttle signal wire correctly (in right direction) into
the throttle channel (usually Ch2) of the receiver. MAYBE THE PLUG IS REVERSED OR NOT CONECTING PROPERLY)
2. Set the “TRIM” of throttle channel to 0 or turn the knob to
its neutral position"

www.machheemstede.nl
..................................Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-Gkh2xZcQU
Modified 4 life
Govert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 02:22 PM   #12
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Govert View Post
You say you don't use a lipo, so I assume you use a NI-MH battery.
Also, the ESC has lipo cut-off. Maybe the cut-off is switched on. If that's the case, switch it off. The manual will tell you how to.

I don't know how old your battery is, but it might just be your battery unable to deliver enough power.

Another thing COULD be, your throttle is set to NOR(mal) or REV(erse). Try to switch from current setting and calibrate your ESC again.

First thoughts are ESC calibrating, lipo cut-off, or the battery (or a combination of those three).

switching the NOR/REV sovled it...or its that i charged the batter for an extra 2 hours.. thanks everyone!

Last edited by nazsenchuk; 04-04-2014 at 04:41 PM.
Old 04-04-2014, 05:04 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Hi everyone,

Thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinu View Post
that makes it sound like a spektrum brown out. the receiver is going into fail safe because its going under voltage.

The specs on this ESC says that it is a 40A ESC with a 5v/2a BEC. I would think that a "glitch buster" will solve your problem.
Old 01-02-2017, 05:37 PM   #14
Tech Rookie

Default Rebuild

HELP........
IM HAVING AN ISSUE WITH MY REBUILD....
Jones76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 06:21 PM   #15
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jones76 View Post
HELP........
IM HAVING AN ISSUE WITH MY REBUILD....