R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-03-2014, 09:08 PM   #106
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoDog View Post
What I think is the real problem here is not so much that racers, including myself, can no longer use our "go to" motor of choice (at ROAR events) (God knows I need every advantage I can get my hands on) rather than the fact that many unknowingly continued to spend money on a doomed product which the governing body apparently had planned to ban all along. Racers continued to purchase the D3.5 with the confidence that it was already deemed legal based on the information available. Obviously information was withheld and the buying public continued to be duped into buying the wrong motor. The consensus was that the D3.5 has an advantage over most motors on the market and was sought out by those who wanted said advantage, real or not. The perception was that only the 17.5 motor was being banned... Again. If a motor does not meet regulations when submitted it should not be permitted and therefore the sale of said motor will suffer. The D3.5 motors had already been deemed legal by the governing body and then rescinded when later found that it does not in fact meet the spec. It had been public knowledge that the 17.5s days were numbered therefore people stopped buying them. The same scenario did not apply to the 13.5. It continued to sell quite well based on the believe that it was within spec. No public information was made available, to the best of my knowledge that would give warning that I was buying an illegal motor. It's as if the lawsuit required that the buying public be swindled purposefully, that's what gets people angry about this situation, not that they can't use the so called "fastest" motor. Obviously there are motors on the market that can compete. (I just need to buy more of them to try since most people used the D3.5 as a benchmark) But that's not the point here.
The fact that I can't use my motor at the RROC doesn't bother me at all, I do have other good motors to use but there is the perception that my D3.5 was the best of them. It actually kicks butt boosted in mod at smaller, bumpy tracks so mine is not for sale yet...
This...... +1

Luckily I bought a different motor after looking at the D3.5... Races like iic not allowing any D3.5s (17.5 or 13.5) made me think this might happen...
Old 04-03-2014, 09:23 PM   #107
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eivind E View Post
What it clearly states is that the wire used in the windings is thicker than the permitted regulation spec.
SO the reason is clearly given.
That was the issue with the 17.5. Noone knows at this stage what the 13.5 issue was. It could be...but the same wire gauge is set in the rules for the 21.5 and the 13.5 motors. 17.5 is different gauge.

Coxy.
Coxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:44 AM   #108
avs
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX View Post
What's with all the drama here, there are many "Outlaw Motors" to choose from which include the D35 series (arguably, what should have been for some time now),
Unless your track is in the USA, racing under ROAR rules, does this really matter ?

EA has pointed out that several parties, and the defendant (that's us racers btw, by proxy of being a part of the roar membership) have agreed to this
Dave, the 'issue' is the lack of communication. I recall several people asking 'what about the 13.5?', and the response was that all statements were limited to the 17.5. the lack of open and honest communication just leads to a rerun of the drama when something that was approved is now suddenly unapproved.

as far as legal issues, i don't see how those were in play when roar's original statement on banning the 17.5 was issued. if it had included the 13.5, then there would have been no surprises or 'drama' now.

this was bad form for the mfg's and roar, and hard to see how it benefitted anyone's situation.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:17 AM   #109
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Oh, is ROAR still in existence? Pfffft. I hadn't even noticed.
Aaron P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:40 AM   #110
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron P View Post
Oh, is ROAR still in existence? Pfffft. I hadn't even noticed.
Yes, ROAR is still doing the motor, battery, and ESC approvals that almost everyone in the US (and a few other countries!) use for their racing rules. It isn't perfect, but the alternative is anarchy. I'll take the nationally-recognized rules and approvals over anarchy any day. It means I can go almost anywhere to race, and not need to buy new equipment.
howardcano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:24 AM   #111
Tech Elite

I understand the need for a sanctioning body. It was a joke....much like ROAR is. I don't run 13.5 classes, but they totally bent over all their members who do with this one. They need to be more transparent.

Manufactures and representatives visit the forums and provide input, but when it comes to ROAR, if it's not ROAR's own forum, then they are MIA. It's ridiculous the way the tend to ignore their constituents.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:50 AM   #112
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron P View Post
I understand the need for a sanctioning body. It was a joke....much like ROAR is. I don't run 13.5 classes, but they totally bent over all their members who do with this one. They need to be more transparent.

Manufactures and representatives visit the forums and provide input, but when it comes to ROAR, if it's not ROAR's own forum, then they are MIA. It's ridiculous the way the tend to ignore their constituents.
ROAR wasn't the only party in the lawsuit. Perhaps some of the other parties also deserve our wrath.

I agree that it would have been best if the members had been informed. But EA has already stated that it wasn't an option:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAMotorsports View Post
ROAR didnt jsut decide to pull the 13.5 off the list as well. There are reasons that it was never publicized due to the wording in the lawsuit agreement. There is not much else I can say other than it was done the way it was done due to legal disclosure matters within the lawsuit.

EA

Last edited by howardcano; 04-04-2014 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Changed sequence of statements for clarity.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:16 AM   #113
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Sounds like a typical gag order so the supplier could clear out all the other illegal inventory to save their bacon..........passing the savings on to the average consumer and making ROAR look like the scape goat.
Rodney Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:21 AM   #114
Tech Elite

I just don't buy it...literally or figuratively. It's shenanigans by everyone involved.
Old 04-04-2014, 02:13 PM   #115
SH
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardcano View Post
Yes, ROAR is still doing the motor, battery, and ESC approvals that almost everyone in the US (and a few other countries!) use for their racing rules. It isn't perfect, but the alternative is anarchy. I'll take the nationally-recognized rules and approvals over anarchy any day. It means I can go almost anywhere to race, and not need to buy new equipment.
Well Roar are going to kill that method for anyone with a D3.5 anyway, forcing them to buy other equipment. I'll stand my ground as I'm certainly not replacing something that is no more than two weeks old. I hope plenty of others stand their ground also and simply don't give in.
SH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 02:21 PM   #116
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SH View Post
Well Roar are going to kill that method for anyone with a D3.5 anyway, forcing them to buy other equipment. I'll stand my ground as I'm certainly not replacing something that is no more than two weeks old. I hope plenty of others stand their ground also and simply don't give in.
If you are in Australia, there is absolutely no reason for you to stop using your motor, unless somebody in Australia tells you otherwise.

Similarly, local tracks in the US can make whatever decision suits their racers. That is no different than with the 17.5; many continued to use them when they were first removed from the approved list. (Many also continued to ban them when they were reinstated!)
Old 04-04-2014, 03:18 PM   #117
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardcano View Post
+1
AHR43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 03:33 PM   #118
Tech Elite

What's done is done. There isn't any use complaining about it on the forums because it won't change a thing. If your local or regional track(s) say the motors (D3.5 17.5 & 13.5) are still legal to use, continue using them. But remember, if you go to a big ROAR-sanctioned race, know that the motors are illegal to use and have your "legal alternative" ready to use. At my local club carpet track, we are still allowing them to be used so there is no issue (we loosely follow ROAR rules).
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.
There are 2 things in life that are infinite: the universe and stupidity.
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 03:37 PM   #119
Tech Addict

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer1812 View Post
(all typed calmly and not trying to sound like a dink)
if people have met you they all lol'd at that comment

hehe just funning you cuz you don't show up Sundays to do it other wise
Old 04-07-2014, 10:40 PM   #120
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Unopened D3.5 13.5 for sale...Just received in March.

Oh, I get it...THIS WHOLE THING IS AN APRIL FOOL'S JOKE...Right?

Bill

And a pair of Associated B6 buggies for turf and clay tracks.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote