R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-01-2014, 09:48 PM   #46
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gav- View Post
http://www.trinityrc.net/wp-content/...SETTLEMENT.pdf

The statement above from Trinity's website, and then this from Roar's website specifically points to the 17.5t motor.

http://roarracing.org/4rmb/showthrea...sed-OEM-motors

Roar's statement says they were unable to find a motor in Trinity's D3.5 range that matched the 17.5 Stock rules. Nothing is said about the Roar Super Stock rules which use the 13.5T motor.

Trinity's press release specifically mentions the D3.5/17.5 motor only, never the 13.5.

If there has been an official statement about the Trinity D3.5 range and their compliance or lack there of in the Roar Super Stock rule set, then please link it.
/Thread
defcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 10:09 PM   #47
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kid TT-01 View Post
You make it sound like i haven't tested other motors on my track. . And like i said before, on our smaller/medium tracks there is no difference with these motors. Did you happen to miss that comment? I'm saying testing on larger tracks (58m straight) the D3.5 13.5 was marginally better than the rest.

Ive tried:
HW V10
Team Powers
LRP/Nosram
Reedy
D3.5

@ Oddin554, Its also not a matter of my club changing rules, Our club runs under AARMCC which is the Australian governing body who happens to follow Roar rules for motor approval.
I did read it and you have made assumptions about what I wrote. Read again! I only said what I had done, smarty pants Keep arguing about an illegal motor, it will accomplish nothing!

Last edited by Matt M.; 04-02-2014 at 08:16 AM.
Robertcooper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 10:20 PM   #48
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertcooper88 View Post
I did read it and you have made assumptions about what I wrote. Read again! I only said what I had done, smart . Keep arguing about an illegal motor, it will accomplish nothing!
The problem here is that in the two statements released after the fallout with the 17.5t, there was no mention of the 13.5t. At this stage they have not released any information as to why the 13.5 has been removed as well,thus they have arbitrarily removed the 13.5 from the list.

Last edited by Matt M.; 04-02-2014 at 08:16 AM.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:32 PM   #49
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Get the Team Powers 13.5, peg the timing, gear to temps of 160 and you will have no problems running with the fastest out there.
The problem with this statement is Kid tt-01 is the fastest out there, he's the guy we are chasing, and one of the best stock drivers in our country.

trust me not all motors work at this track. But the 13.5 D3.5 does really well.

2017 ACT Rally champion :)
evochick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 10:50 PM   #50
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
I did read it and you have made assumptions about what I wrote. Read again! I only said what I had done, smart-ass. Keep arguing about an illegal motor, it will accomplish nothing!
Before now, at what point in time did ROAR conclude/deem that the 13.5 is an "illegal" motor? Has there been any statements from either Trinity or ROAR saying that the 13.5 is illegal?

If so, then please provide the information to clarify your statement.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:55 PM   #51
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by defcone View Post
The problem here is that in the two statements released after the fallout with the 17.5t, there was no mention of the 13.5t. At this stage they have not released any information as to why the 13.5 has been removed as well,thus they have arbitrarily removed the 13.5 from the list.
+1, no issue removing the 17.5T the issue is with the 13.5T.

Best solution for Australia is to not follow roar and to continue to allow the D3.5 13.5T.

For what it is worth I am currently using and intended to use for the rest of the year a ORCA.
frozenpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 11:11 PM   #52
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to scott_g Send a message via Skype™ to scott_g

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenpod View Post
Best solution for Australia is to not follow roar and to continue to allow the D3.5 13.5T.
Not if the reason ROAR have dropped the D3.5 is that it doesn't meet the specs that every other 13.5 motor has to meet. Then it's unfair to everybody else to give it special approval.

The Australian specific discussion would probably be better taken up in the Aus section.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:18 PM   #53
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

10.5 looks like it has been removed as well!
Hopper99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 11:23 PM   #54
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Smile

I can already see Roar also banning the d3.5 21.5t and 10.5t motors in the near future.... You really think after taking Roar to court, Trinity products will be legal anymore ??? You guys need to wake up, and smell the roses !!! Start investing in another brand already..... Trinity should buy back all the d3.5 motors, and put them in Nikko ready to run vehicles .....lol.....
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 11:28 PM   #55
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_g View Post
Not if the reason ROAR have dropped the D3.5 is that it doesn't meet the specs that every other 13.5 motor has to meet. Then it's unfair to everybody else to give it special approval.

The Australian specific discussion would probably be better taken up in the Aus section.
If we look at the facts and information available to us at the moment, Roar has removed D3.5 13.5 from the list because they can.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:32 PM   #56
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I haven't had to buy a new stock motor in 2 years. I imagine at this point, Trinity will be happy to sell all of you a new D4 since your D3.5's are no longer legal.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 11:35 PM   #57
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 302 (100%+)

Quote:
I did read it and you have made assumptions about what I wrote. Read again! I only said what I had done, smart. Keep arguing about an illegal motor, it will accomplish nothing!
Keep things civil please.

*Group Hug*

Don't worry about what I'm doing.
Worry about why you're worried about what I'm doing.

"Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity."

Last edited by Matt M.; 04-02-2014 at 08:17 AM.
nexxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 12:09 AM   #58
Tech Elite

Quote:
/Thread
Well not really cause despite what the statements say it has been banned.

It would most definitely be down to the wire gauge. The rules used to state 2 strands of 20AWG or .813mm for 17.5 and for 13.5, 2 strands of 21AWG or .724mm and 2 strands of 23AWG or .574mm

http://www.roarracing.com/downloads/..._Rule_Book.pdf

So forget the statements and refer to the rule book.

Bottom of page 46. All AWG references have been struck leaving only the metric mm details.

This was the crux of the issue. Trinity said they were using manufacturer xyz wire, and it was/was sold as XXAWG. Roar said it wasn't legal as it was greater than .XXXmm. Then there was an argument over whether the rule was either/or or both and whether the measuring was right etc etc. pretty cut and dry if you ask me.

Now the ambiguity has been deleted from the rules it's more simple.

It therefore must be that the strands (some or all) in use on the 13.5 are also not to spec OR perhaps it is just agreed it is easier to scrap them all from the list, move on from the name to avoid any future confusion and sell more motors under a new name!
cplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 12:15 AM   #59
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenpod View Post
How do you gather that?

If it's not legal, it would be that it doesn't meet spec and vis a vis you're gaining unfair advantage over your competitors and have been for some time now (however it was inadvertently previously) - and if you think it does meet spec, pull it apart and prove it.

If you raced against me I'd be upset about it for sure if we were racing under ROAR rules. And if not, well then I should be allowed to pull out another outlaw motor, like a Vulcan outlaw or something to bring it to a level playing field.
cplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 12:24 AM   #60
NR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
arbitrarily? That's a big word for you
NR is offline   Reply With Quote