R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-02-2014, 03:34 AM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

No, these are useless. I am talking about 30-40mm fans. What do you think WTF is using... These are all standard cooling fans. You can get them easily in shops that sell computer hardware stuff. Often you will also get information about how much air they are moving; so you can look for the best one.
No magic here.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:06 AM   #17
Tech Adept

I bought some cheap Sunon fans rated at 8 CFM for about $5 each. I crimped my own connector on the wires and works just as well as most motor fans you can buy on the market. You can take a look at digi-key for a huge selection of fans and just choose the one that moves the most amount of air for the size you want.
jdawg81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 10:54 AM   #18
Tech Master

+1
I am using Sunon, too
Old 10-02-2014, 05:45 PM   #19
Tech Master

They may be slightly different to computer fans but I have a computer fan on the car now. Doesn't seem to spin as fast or moves as much air as the WTF fan but the specs were 5cfm at 5V. I will see how it goes.
frozenpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:04 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 143 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to LasagnaCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenpod View Post
They may be slightly different to computer fans
Same concept, different specs. It's a fan meant for and made for something else, that gets marked up a ton once you put a sticker on it and relabel it as an r/c cooling fan. Pretty much it fits right in with a lot of other stuff in the hobby, and in life in general.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:09 PM   #21
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

4 WTF fans...all died within hours....still have them if anybody interested....oh 5...got another one in March..and ran it once or 2...and came back after some months and it quit too...
1172 Park Ave, Murfreesboro, TN 37129
DARKSIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:42 PM   #22
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by LasagnaCat View Post
Same concept, different specs. It's a fan meant for and made for something else, that gets marked up a ton once you put a sticker on it and relabel it as an r/c cooling fan. Pretty much it fits right in with a lot of other stuff in the hobby, and in life in general.
Similar but perhaps not identicle.

Some which have the higher voltage rated motors may be slightly different to suit higher voltage.
frozenpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 05:26 AM   #23
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I am selling 30x15 speed racing fans they can be wired 5or8v and have tested them at Southern nationals
They can run for hrs at 8v.
Not the strongest blowing fan out there but it has no issues keeping motor cool at all. Still see 30deg drop in temps. Selling for $13 shipped in USA only
jlfx car audio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 11:57 AM   #24
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKSIDE View Post
4 WTF fans...all died within hours....still have them if anybody interested....oh 5...got another one in March..and ran it once or 2...and came back after some months and it quit too...
Myron - you're issues are BIG news to me. what is in your car's 'package'? how is the fan mounted? etc...
FJ / ROAR #2-122945 / MaxRotation FPV Drone Racing / [email protected] Awesomatix USA / Wild Turbo Fan / Mon-Tech Racing / RocheRC USA / Side Piece /
LRP / John's BSR Tires / TeamEAM / TQ Wire / R1 / Team Scream / PCR / MIX
RacerLog wiki Awesomatix A700 / 2wd offroad 4 life
hanulec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 01:38 PM   #25
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

I had no idea these WTF fans were such an issue. I remember when R1 first edition fans were blowing up on people. They since resolved this and now have good reliable fans. I bought two WTF fans from GridWorks. Wired it up like any 8.4v fan and was impressed. Hadn't took to track yet. Went to order two more for other future cars. GridWorks sold out. I then found and bought two from awesomatix USA. Well took to the track and one blew first qual. Second one blew in main. Back of motor puffs out sticker peels back. The two I got from awesomatix one is in my car and one new in package. I'm hesitant now to continue to use them.
Josh-n-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 02:40 PM   #26
Tech Master

I am running higher end 40mm 12v fans for computers that are still way cheaper than "RC Cooling fans" I run them at 12v using one of these http://www.pololu.com/product/2117
a small light 12v step regulator that turns any voltage over 2.5 -12v to 12 volts. Oh yeah the board ways 0.4 g. It will take up to 1A constant.
Old 10-03-2014, 05:10 PM   #27
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-n-ya View Post
I had no idea these WTF fans were such an issue. I remember when R1 first edition fans were blowing up on people. They since resolved this and now have good reliable fans. I bought two WTF fans from GridWorks. Wired it up like any 8.4v fan and was impressed. Hadn't took to track yet. Went to order two more for other future cars. GridWorks sold out. I then found and bought two from awesomatix USA. Well took to the track and one blew first qual. Second one blew in main. Back of motor puffs out sticker peels back. The two I got from awesomatix one is in my car and one new in package. I'm hesitant now to continue to use them.
Blew? What does that mean?
Smoke...
Stopped working??

Did it stop working after a crash?

Is your motor mount pinching / tweaking the fan?
FJ / ROAR #2-122945 / MaxRotation FPV Drone Racing / [email protected] Awesomatix USA / Wild Turbo Fan / Mon-Tech Racing / RocheRC USA / Side Piece /

Last edited by hanulec; 10-03-2014 at 05:29 PM.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:12 PM   #28
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanulec View Post
Blew? What does that mean?
Smoke...
Stopped working??

Did it stop working after a crash?

Is your motor mount pinching / tweaking the fan?
I guess you could say stopped working. End of first run pulled in and noticed how quiet my car was. Motor was screaming hot. No wrecks. Its a Yeah Racing mount that clamps around motor and has two screws holding fan. Its nice and sturdy. Second one I noticed fan was sputtering when I pulled off. Then wouldn't start again. I'm talking to Gridworks as well.
Josh-n-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 05:19 AM   #29
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-n-ya View Post
I guess you could say stopped working. End of first run pulled in and noticed how quiet my car was. Motor was screaming hot. No wrecks. Its a Yeah Racing mount that clamps around motor and has two screws holding fan. Its nice and sturdy. Second one I noticed fan was sputtering when I pulled off. Then wouldn't start again. I'm talking to Gridworks as well.
Gridworks- I know. Looking for better answers so I'm asking questions directly.

These were running off of receiver or ESC/batt voltage? If ESC - how/where did you attach to ESC power?
Old 10-04-2014, 05:30 AM   #30
Bar
Tech Regular

Ran WTF 40mm all year, had some pretty big crashes at some of the tracks I have raced out, however I only race outdoors. I can't imagine any fan holding up too well with the same crashes on most indoor tracks