motor fan

Old 10-02-2014, 02:34 AM
  #16  
Tech Master
iTrader: (2)
 
wtcc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,858
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

No, these are useless. I am talking about 30-40mm fans. What do you think WTF is using... These are all standard cooling fans. You can get them easily in shops that sell computer hardware stuff. Often you will also get information about how much air they are moving; so you can look for the best one.
No magic here.
wtcc is offline  
Old 10-02-2014, 07:06 AM
  #17  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (1)
 
jdawg81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 223
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

I bought some cheap Sunon fans rated at 8 CFM for about $5 each. I crimped my own connector on the wires and works just as well as most motor fans you can buy on the market. You can take a look at digi-key for a huge selection of fans and just choose the one that moves the most amount of air for the size you want.
jdawg81 is offline  
Old 10-02-2014, 09:54 AM
  #18  
Tech Master
iTrader: (2)
 
wtcc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,858
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

+1
I am using Sunon, too
wtcc is offline  
Old 10-02-2014, 04:45 PM
  #19  
Tech Master
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,059
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

They may be slightly different to computer fans but I have a computer fan on the car now. Doesn't seem to spin as fast or moves as much air as the WTF fan but the specs were 5cfm at 5V. I will see how it goes.
frozenpod is offline  
Old 10-02-2014, 07:04 PM
  #20  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (160)
 
LasagnaCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Hickory Hills, IL
Posts: 2,245
Trader Rating: 160 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by frozenpod View Post
They may be slightly different to computer fans
Same concept, different specs. It's a fan meant for and made for something else, that gets marked up a ton once you put a sticker on it and relabel it as an r/c cooling fan. Pretty much it fits right in with a lot of other stuff in the hobby, and in life in general.
LasagnaCat is offline  
Old 10-02-2014, 07:09 PM
  #21  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (2)
 
DARKSIDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nashville-Memphis
Posts: 9,307
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

4 WTF fans...all died within hours....still have them if anybody interested....oh 5...got another one in March..and ran it once or 2...and came back after some months and it quit too...
DARKSIDE is offline  
Old 10-02-2014, 07:42 PM
  #22  
Tech Master
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,059
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by LasagnaCat View Post
Same concept, different specs. It's a fan meant for and made for something else, that gets marked up a ton once you put a sticker on it and relabel it as an r/c cooling fan. Pretty much it fits right in with a lot of other stuff in the hobby, and in life in general.
Similar but perhaps not identicle.

Some which have the higher voltage rated motors may be slightly different to suit higher voltage.
frozenpod is offline  
Old 10-03-2014, 04:26 AM
  #23  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (37)
 
jlfx car audio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: jackson,tn
Posts: 3,834
Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default

I am selling 30x15 speed racing fans they can be wired 5or8v and have tested them at Southern nationals
They can run for hrs at 8v.
Not the strongest blowing fan out there but it has no issues keeping motor cool at all. Still see 30deg drop in temps. Selling for $13 shipped in USA only
jlfx car audio is offline  
Old 10-03-2014, 10:57 AM
  #24  
R/C Tech Elite Member
iTrader: (28)
 
hanulec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: @ the post office
Posts: 9,443
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE View Post
4 WTF fans...all died within hours....still have them if anybody interested....oh 5...got another one in March..and ran it once or 2...and came back after some months and it quit too...
Myron - you're issues are BIG news to me. what is in your car's 'package'? how is the fan mounted? etc...
hanulec is offline  
Old 10-03-2014, 12:38 PM
  #25  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (95)
 
Josh-n-ya's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Alameda, CA
Posts: 2,839
Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)
Default

I had no idea these WTF fans were such an issue. I remember when R1 first edition fans were blowing up on people. They since resolved this and now have good reliable fans. I bought two WTF fans from GridWorks. Wired it up like any 8.4v fan and was impressed. Hadn't took to track yet. Went to order two more for other future cars. GridWorks sold out. I then found and bought two from awesomatix USA. Well took to the track and one blew first qual. Second one blew in main. Back of motor puffs out sticker peels back. The two I got from awesomatix one is in my car and one new in package. I'm hesitant now to continue to use them.
Josh-n-ya is offline  
Old 10-03-2014, 01:40 PM
  #26  
Tech Master
 
patorz31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Edmonton Ab
Posts: 1,545
Default

I am running higher end 40mm 12v fans for computers that are still way cheaper than "RC Cooling fans" I run them at 12v using one of these http://www.pololu.com/product/2117
a small light 12v step regulator that turns any voltage over 2.5 -12v to 12 volts. Oh yeah the board ways 0.4 g. It will take up to 1A constant.
patorz31 is offline  
Old 10-03-2014, 04:10 PM
  #27  
R/C Tech Elite Member
iTrader: (28)
 
hanulec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: @ the post office
Posts: 9,443
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Josh-n-ya View Post
I had no idea these WTF fans were such an issue. I remember when R1 first edition fans were blowing up on people. They since resolved this and now have good reliable fans. I bought two WTF fans from GridWorks. Wired it up like any 8.4v fan and was impressed. Hadn't took to track yet. Went to order two more for other future cars. GridWorks sold out. I then found and bought two from awesomatix USA. Well took to the track and one blew first qual. Second one blew in main. Back of motor puffs out sticker peels back. The two I got from awesomatix one is in my car and one new in package. I'm hesitant now to continue to use them.
Blew? What does that mean?
Smoke...
Stopped working??

Did it stop working after a crash?

Is your motor mount pinching / tweaking the fan?

Last edited by hanulec; 10-03-2014 at 04:29 PM.
hanulec is offline  
Old 10-03-2014, 10:12 PM
  #28  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (95)
 
Josh-n-ya's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Alameda, CA
Posts: 2,839
Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by hanulec View Post
Blew? What does that mean?
Smoke...
Stopped working??

Did it stop working after a crash?

Is your motor mount pinching / tweaking the fan?
I guess you could say stopped working. End of first run pulled in and noticed how quiet my car was. Motor was screaming hot. No wrecks. Its a Yeah Racing mount that clamps around motor and has two screws holding fan. Its nice and sturdy. Second one I noticed fan was sputtering when I pulled off. Then wouldn't start again. I'm talking to Gridworks as well.
Josh-n-ya is offline  
Old 10-04-2014, 04:19 AM
  #29  
R/C Tech Elite Member
iTrader: (28)
 
hanulec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: @ the post office
Posts: 9,443
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Josh-n-ya View Post
I guess you could say stopped working. End of first run pulled in and noticed how quiet my car was. Motor was screaming hot. No wrecks. Its a Yeah Racing mount that clamps around motor and has two screws holding fan. Its nice and sturdy. Second one I noticed fan was sputtering when I pulled off. Then wouldn't start again. I'm talking to Gridworks as well.
Gridworks- I know. Looking for better answers so I'm asking questions directly.

These were running off of receiver or ESC/batt voltage? If ESC - how/where did you attach to ESC power?
hanulec is offline  
Old 10-04-2014, 04:30 AM
  #30  
Bar
Tech Addict
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 579
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Ran WTF 40mm all year, had some pretty big crashes at some of the tracks I have raced out, however I only race outdoors. I can't imagine any fan holding up too well with the same crashes on most indoor tracks
Bar is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.