R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-27-2014, 04:47 PM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrayracer1 View Post
It's nice to see this thread hasn't turned into an SMC worship thread.....
SMC is the best!LOL!
Mr RCTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 05:42 PM   #17
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Orca 6200 90c
Old 03-27-2014, 07:02 PM   #18
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmm View Post
Hi all,

I am new in modified touring cars an I am looking for batteries.

I would appreciate your help, as now I am very confused and don't want to fail in my selection (I am coming from 2wd buggy where the batteries are not as critical as in touring)

My intention is to compete in some local club races and maybe something more (but initially the batteries are for club races)

I found HRB lipo batteries (6000mah and 60C) for a reasonable price, but I have never seen this brand before, so I would appreciate if someone who has used them, can explain his/her experience with them.

I have also checked Nanotech, but I have read all type of comments (positive and negative). What do you think about these batteries? I have in mind the following Nanotech batteries:

Nanotech A-spec 6200mah and 65C/130C
Nanotech 6000mah and 65C/130C
Nanotech 6600mah and 65C/130C

Which one of these three Nanotech batteries is the most appropriate for touring cars? Which one perform better and has longer durability? Do you know the difference between regular Nanotech and a-spec?

The third alternative is Speed Energy. They seems to be the same batteries as Intellect, but they are the most expensive of my three alternatives. I would prefer to stay on the price range of the Nanotech batteries.

I am open for any other suggestion of "price-reasonable" lipo battery.

Apologize for all the questions, but as I said in the beginning ... I am completely lost and any help would be very beneficial to me.

Thank you very much in advance!
I've run Thunder Power 40C and 45C, Turnigy 20C, 50C and 65C, Reedy 100C... in 17.5 TC. Which do you think was the best out of all of them? The prices ranged from $20 (for the Turnigy 20C) to $140 for the Reedy 100C....

For 17.5 there was literally NO DIFFERENCE in lap times on a 10 second carpet track (I do NOT hit boards and am consistently +/- 0.2 seconds at most per lap. However, when running modified 3.5 to 10.5 motors, there was a noticeable difference between 20C and 65C in punch. Given that, I've been purchasing Turnigy $40 Nanotech 6000mah and 65C/130C from your list above.

It may be unpopular to say, but the over $100 Thunder Power and Reedy batteries are overkill for my modified racing and I have not seen the advantage of paying the higher price. Since I was younger, I was always curious about battery manf claims. Luckily today, money isn't an issue and I can afford to perform my own experiments to come to my own conclusions.
XRAY XB2 2018, XRAY XB4 2017, Durango DEST210R, XRAY XB4 2014, Vaterra Slick Rock, Durango DEX210, SpeedMerchant REV4, HB TCX, Traxxas EMaxx, HPI RS4 Pro, Tamiya TA02, Yokomo YZ10, Associated RC10 Team Car, Bolink Eliminator 10, Kyosho Optima, Tamiya HotShot, Tamiya Grasshopper
theclutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:21 PM   #19
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Fmm, in general the higher end race crowd goes the way of the bullet plugs.

A couple notes on the bullet plug batteries, 1. make sure to cut your wires so it's impossible to reverse the polarity of the connection and fry your esc, and 2.if you're buying multiple different packs please be conscious that the polarity of the packs match. I.e. some packs have the positive on the right, some on the left. This does not matter on the ones with vias through the pack.

RC Excitement: Fitchburg, MA | RC Madness: Enfield, CT | Horsham RC
samnelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 11:35 PM   #20
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr RCTech View Post
SMC is the best!LOL!
LOL!
Funny thing is I was at a race event last year in the 21.5t class, and I was beating guys with Turnigy Nano-tech lipos while they were using SMC lipos.

Converting nitro to electric is utter blasphemy.
xrayracer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 11:44 PM   #21
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Yep. You ask 10 different fast racers and you get 5 different answers.
edhchoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:00 AM   #22
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrayracer1 View Post
LOL!
Funny thing is I was at a race event last year in the 21.5t class, and I was beating guys with Turnigy Nano-tech lipos while they were using SMC lipos.
Smc are not perfect. I bought three and one puffed second run. The other two are great though, just bad luck i guess
Fly'n Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:50 AM   #23
fmm
Tech Apprentice

Thank you so much for all the replies! I have now decided my batteries and soon I will be running my new TC.

Another question about batteries... I typical charge them at 1C for the 2wd and 4wd buggies. Some of the guys at my local track say that for touring, I will need to charge them at 2C or 3C, otherwise I will loose all the "punch" very soon. My impression is that by charging the batteries at 2-3c, I will "fry" the batteries and not necessarily extend their life. What are your opinions around that?

Additionally, I would like to ask you about chargers. I have now a Team Orion Advantage IQ605 and a IMAX Quattro B6. I am very satisfied with them for my buggies, but ... Do you think that I would need a new charger more appropriate for touring?

Thank you in advance!!
fmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:08 AM   #24
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

You won't burn out a battery by charging at 2-3c. You also don't have to charge at high rates at all.

Again, a lot of people have been experimenting with not even full charges in mod sedan. I've been charging my batteries to 8.1v on carpet and it makes it a heck f a lot easier to drive than starting at 8.4.

The motor and ESC more than make up the extra "grunt" you'd earn from the higher voltages. Just use what you got and don't worry about it!
Old 03-28-2014, 08:15 AM   #25
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

this is what i noticed the last 8 years of mod outdoors
get a faster motor-(4.5 or 3.5) and learn to drive that speed (drag braking is crucial for mod noobs),try minizs or dnano and mod will seem slow,,,,and run it on cheap batteries and a cheap esc
expensive batteries and esc is for the stock class
poochy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 12:27 AM   #26
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmm View Post
Thank you so much for all the replies! I have now decided my batteries and soon I will be running my new TC.

Another question about batteries... I typical charge them at 1C for the 2wd and 4wd buggies. Some of the guys at my local track say that for touring, I will need to charge them at 2C or 3C, otherwise I will loose all the "punch" very soon. My impression is that by charging the batteries at 2-3c, I will "fry" the batteries and not necessarily extend their life. What are your opinions around that?

Additionally, I would like to ask you about chargers. I have now a Team Orion Advantage IQ605 and a IMAX Quattro B6. I am very satisfied with them for my buggies, but ... Do you think that I would need a new charger more appropriate for touring?

Thank you in advance!!
Just charge them at 1C. You'll be fine.

Converting nitro to electric is utter blasphemy.
xrayracer1 is offline   Reply With Quote