R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-10-2005, 10:14 AM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default 1/18 Scale Class Committee

To All:
I am looking for interested people to join a committee that would formulate the rules for this class of cars. The committee would be a part of the ROAR structure and will cover both on-road and off-road. All interested please contact by email to:

David Lee
ROAR Director of Competition
[email protected]
davidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 10:48 AM   #17
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Would love to race 1/18 cars or trucks, anyone know any tracks in Texas that offer this scale racing?
jamescam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 10:52 AM   #18
ajg

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidl
To All:
I am looking for interested people to join a committee that would formulate the rules for this class of cars. The committee would be a part of the ROAR structure and will cover both on-road and off-road. All interested please contact by email to:

David Lee
ROAR Director of Competition
[email protected]

What would we have to do? Just give our opinions?
ajg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 10:59 AM   #19
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to micros_rock

I think he is looking for people who actively race and are a part of the local racing community. Input from such individuals would be much more helpful and useful than people who drag their cars up and down the street.
micros_rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 11:02 AM   #20
ajg

I do race 1/10 and did race 1/18(I stopped racing my micro about a year ago, track closed). I'm familiar with racing 1/18.
ajg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 11:08 AM   #21
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Roy
Cool thread here. I posted a question in the main forum but didn't really get the response I needed so here goes.

1st, I have a MRS4 with an EXO1 chassis, GPM front one way, Integy alum knuckles, Steel dogbones, Orion big block, HPI rear ball diff and a slammed GTP prosche body. I have a 6 cell pack made up from GP1100 cells.

Here is my question. How much is the peak voltage you guys are getting. Also how much MAH's are going into your pack. I can't seem to get a peak voltage above 8.5 volts or so and no where close to 1100 mah goes into the pack. I am using a Tekin BC112c on PO (setting for nimh) with the H31 software and have tried charging from .5 amps all the way to 2 amps. Anything above 1.2 amps seems to false peak. What peak voltage and MAH do you guys get with your batteries?
Same here with the battery results. Mine averages about 8.9 at peak with 950mah going in. I always charge at 2amps with a 3mv cutoff on my Novak Mil. Pleanty of runtime and power it seems.

A picture with your post, when trouble shooting, will probably get more rctech help than without...
MikeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 12:35 PM   #22
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeR
Same here with the battery results. Mine averages about 8.9 at peak with 950mah going in. I always charge at 2amps with a 3mv cutoff on my Novak Mil. Pleanty of runtime and power it seems.
Thanks for the reply. Now I don't feel so bad. Last night I equalized the cells and could only get it to charge at .2 amps. 6 1/2 hours later, 1300 mah and 8.71 volts. I discharged and noticed that one cell dumped much faster then all the others. Does that mean that I have a bad cell? Or maybe just a cell that isn't as good as the others. The other 5 cells still read 1.2 volts while the 6th one goes down to 0 volts. I'll equalize again tonight and try charging at a higher rate.
Rapid Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 01:22 PM   #23
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Yes, sounds like a bad cell if it's reading that low. Most of the time you'll get a really hi peak voltage number but it is fasle peaking you said. Hopefully you have a stout solder iron so that when you replace it it doesn't just damage it again from oversoldering. These smaller cells are a little sensitive to prolonged heat.

A picture with your post, when trouble shooting, will probably get more rctech help than without...
MikeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 10:56 PM   #24
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to minijosh Send a message via Yahoo to minijosh
Can we get a micro section on the forum instead of trying to find this thread evertime I log in?

Joshua T
minijosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 12:06 AM   #25
Tech Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to Nathan

hey whats up? will the dog bones off of a m18 work on a rs4. i think they will just wanna make sure
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 01:40 AM   #26
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to micros_rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by minijosh
Can we get a micro section on the forum instead of trying to find this thread evertime I log in?
You could always just bookmark the thread if it's that hard to find.
micros_rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 04:38 AM   #27
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan
hey whats up? will the dog bones off of a m18 work on a rs4. i think they will just wanna make sure
No, sorry. The M18 Dogbones have a much longer endpoint, where the screw goes into to hold the rim. Its too long for the Micro RS4.

Yes, I think we need a Micro RS4 Board as well.
J Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 11:32 AM   #28
Tech Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to Nathan

ok thanks
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 05:34 PM   #29
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeR
Yes, sounds like a bad cell if it's reading that low. Most of the time you'll get a really hi peak voltage number but it is fasle peaking you said. Hopefully you have a stout solder iron so that when you replace it it doesn't just damage it again from oversoldering. These smaller cells are a little sensitive to prolonged heat.

Okay, last night equalized the pack again and was able to charge at 1.5 amps. Peak voltage was 8.9 volts and 950 mah went in. I hadn't dead shorted the cells, so I'm guessing thats what caused the drop in mah. Then I discharged at 2 amps. I monitored the voltage of the entire pack until it went below 4.75 volts then hooked it up to a .5 amp discharge. One cell was at zero volts and the other were between .9 and .7 volts. I equalized again and it didn't take much to get them all to .09 volts. Tonight I'll go for a 2 amp charge and see what kind of numbers I get. Funny thing is the cell that went to zero was a different one that did it the other night.

I also figured out why It kept false peaking before. My desk is in front of a window. I usually have the window open and at night, cold air blows in across the desk. I remembered people talking about not using a fan during charging so I placed a piece of paper over the batteries and voilla! No more false peaking and it charged at 1.5 amps.
Old 08-18-2005, 03:15 AM   #30
Tech Master

Okay, finally have a minute to post an update. I got the pack to charge at 2 amps. I got 9.2 golts and 950 mah. The mah was a bit low because it false peaked a couple of times. The batteries got quite hot and I am wondering how much heat the cells will take without fear of damage. I could still tough the pack but I couldn't hold my hand on them for more then a few seconds. I'm estimating 120 degrees or so. Is this too hot?

Another question or survey. How many of you glue or somehow increase the holding power between your tires and the inner wheel. I replaced my inner wheels thinking I would get a tighter fit and they actualy got looser. Last race I lost a tire. It had been a while since that had happed, but I hate to lose a race because of that.