R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-24-2014, 10:01 AM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)

I'm a fan of the on-road racing scene (i.e. IMSA, SCCA) in America for sure, and I like these particular shells... but I think they already have a home in USGT. If you were going to get a class specifically setup for these shells shown, I would at least change the proposed rules to 21.5 blinky. Slow them down (slightly) and make it so that you could easily convert to run a USGT class by changing tires (and a little weight added). The rules from the OP are basically just 17.5 TC with one of these shells added. Difference being the 200mm limit. Too close to that class IMO.

Powered by Hotwings, Rolling Rock, and the urge to race toy cars...
nf_ekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:10 AM   #17
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I really like the idea of a blinky 17.5 Daytona Prototype class based on a touring car chassis platform. I've raced 17.5 sedan for years and really enjoy the speed and the close racing. But it has always bugged me that we spend all this money on hi-tech electronics, batteries, motors, chassis made from exotic materials, and then hang a freakin' grocery-getter body on the thing. These are the fastest cars in on-road RC (short of mod sedan) and it would sure be nice to race somthing that looked like an actual race car, not the car that I drove to get to the racetrack.

Ever wonder why Sedan has trouble attracting new drivers? Its because the cars look like bars of soap with a colorful, tribal tatoo painted on them. Put dished wheels on them and they are even worse. F1, USVTA, USGT, and even the LM1 cars attract a crowd because they actually look like a car that you'd see at a racetrack.

Just my 2 cents on the matter. Flame away

Jeff
I don't always race RC....but when I do....I prefer road course.
fox88gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:13 AM   #18
Tech Addict

I really like the idea of a blinky 17.5 Daytona Prototype class based on a touring car chassis platform. I've raced 17.5 sedan for years and really enjoy the speed and the close racing. But it has always bugged me that we spend all this money on hi-tech electronics, batteries, motors, chassis made from exotic materials, and then hang a freakin' grocery-getter body on the thing. These are the fastest cars in on-road RC (short of mod sedan) and it would sure be nice to race somthing that looked like an actual race car, not the car that I drove to get to the racetrack.

Ever wonder why Sedan has trouble attracting new drivers? Its because the cars look like bars of soap with a colorful, tribal tatoo painted on them. Put dished wheels on them and they are even worse. F1, USVTA, USGT, and even the LM1 cars attract a crowd because they actually look like a car that you'd see at a racetrack.

Just my 2 cents on the matter. Flame away

Jeff

Edit: The prototype cars need to be faster than USGT or there is no point to having the bodies or the class.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:48 AM   #19
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by fox88gt View Post
Ever wonder why Sedan has trouble attracting new drivers?
That I don't know about.... I've yet to attend a race in the last handful of years (in different states) where Sedan isn't hands down the most popular class.

Just a thought... other than the visual appeal of VTA, isn't it that fact that they are slow enough (that you can actually make out what is going around the track) that helps contributes to it's popularity? And other than that, the slightly slower pace has made classes such as VTA / USGT much more beginner friendly... plus it draws a lot of guys like myself that have been racing for awhile and nowadays look for a more relaxed class to be a part of. Make the cars too fast and what is the point of scale realism? Sedan shells work for faster cars because the aerodynamics matter. Slower= bigger window for use of different shells, it's more about setup and driving. Just my .02 on this...

Powered by Hotwings, Rolling Rock, and the urge to race toy cars...
nf_ekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 11:02 AM   #20
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingm View Post

One extra note. We will have detail decals available for our DP bodies soon.
What level of quality for the decals? HPI / Tamiya, BP Shadow, or other...?
Old 03-24-2014, 11:06 AM   #21
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Sounds great Gary, keep us up to date on here when you start to include the decals and I'll pick up a Riley DP body.
FUTABA 2.4G FASST, Spec-R S1, Speed Passion SP-1, Sakura D3 FWD, Kyosho Evolva M3, Team Losi XX-4, Caster EX1.5R, HPI Wheelie King Crawler, Quanum Aquaholic, Joysway Wildcat
nrtv20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 11:06 AM   #22
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
The prototype cars need to be faster than USGT or there is no point to having the bodies or the class.
That's what I'm saying!!

I've heard several complain about the DP bodies in USGT, well like their FULL SCALE counter parts - the USVTA, USGT and a DP class should all have different speeds.

25.5, 21.5 and 17.5 fits that bill pretty well w/o having CRAZY speeds left to the "TC Race Classes" ie: 13.5, 10.5 and Open mod.

as for 200mm Pan Cars - (don't get me wrong, as I love pan cars) - but THEY SUCK on too many track surfaces, where a TC can easily adapt.

Leave the Pan Cars to the WGT 13.5/1c class on Carpet - (open the DPT bodies to run in that class)
Things are headed towards a return of the SWT Series, but for
2017 the focus will be on the Encino Velodrome (and dirt oval racing)
SWTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 11:20 AM   #23
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nf_ekt View Post
That I don't know about.... I've yet to attend a race in the last handful of years (in different states) where Sedan isn't hands down the most popular class.

Just a thought... other than the visual appeal of VTA, isn't it that fact that they are slow enough (that you can actually make out what is going around the track) that helps contributes to it's popularity? And other than that, the slightly slower pace has made classes such as VTA / USGT much more beginner friendly... plus it draws a lot of guys like myself that have been racing for awhile and nowadays look for a more relaxed class to be a part of. Make the cars too fast and what is the point of scale realism? Sedan shells work for faster cars because the aerodynamics matter. Slower= bigger window for use of different shells, it's more about setup and driving. Just my .02 on this...
The "big" races always attract a large sedan crowd, as they should. Its probably the most "universal" class in RC, relevant all around the world. I should have clarified my statement to the "local club" level. At the grassroots level (at least in my neck of the woods) sedan just isn't drawing the crowds it should.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:31 AM   #24
Tech Elite

Quote:
The "big" races always attract a large sedan crowd, as they should. Its probably the most "universal" class in RC, relevant all around the world. I should have clarified my statement to the "local club" level. At the grassroots level (at least in my neck of the woods) sedan just isn't drawing the crowds it should.
I hear you, but if you aren't getting a large sedan crowd locally, you are in the minority. Since I got back into RC 4 years ago (after a 5 year hiatus) I have easily seen 17.5 as the most popular class no matter where I have been. The only thing coming close is VTA. F1, WGT.... 3-4 cars on the odd occasion.

If you like these shells, and run 17.5, just slap one on! Maybe you will revive 17.5 where you live with these types of shells. Elsewhere, I dunno....

Don't get me wrong, I love these one-off, oddball type classes. A year or two ago I called Mccallister and had a big box of nascar truck shells sent to me. My club at the time ran the truck shells with any Tc car (weight minumum applied) and silver can motors. "Slow" ? Yes... but the racing was close and fun. But I never would imagine it taking off on a wide scale. If the prototype class was to take off I'm sure I'd take a swing but with VTA already being fairly big, and USGT starting to take shape locally as well (where this shell is a perfect fit), I don't know that it would really gain much attention. YMMV. Again, this is a class I would support regardless of motor choice, I just see 21.5 as a (?) better choice. Hopefully it is something that racers want to take part in.