R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-09-2005, 04:13 PM   #16
Tech Initiate

If my ratio on my motor is too high will that cause it too overheat too? because ive heard that before so i dropped my ratio on my motor from 8.03 to 7.19.......seems like no power loss what so ever.......but it still heats up......so the power loss problem is gone.....but the heat problem is still there......maybe it was cause i was using bad brushes.......i used ones that werent worn in right and they were burnt and discolored so tha coulda been why they heated up....i just ordered a new 9x1 armature.....so the old one can be abused a little for experimenting..........could my ratio being too high of been my problem all along?
big_dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 07:43 PM   #17
Tech Elite

For outdoor driving, just about everybody that races uses a fan or heatsink. They should drop the temp. drastically. Here's a great combo that I use all the time: http://cgi.ebay.com/TC3-Blue-Aluminu...QQcmdZViewItem

Your running a 9 turn motor. Racers rebuild them every run, so to get 4-5 runs if pushing the limit, but still okay for just driving around.

If you plan on eventually racing, buy a Cobra Pro Comm Lathe 2000. It cost $169 and has a diamond bit. It's the most durable and affordable of all the sub $200 lathes.
ChadCapece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 08:11 PM   #18
Tech Initiate

Thanks! The TA04-R chassis doesnt have room fora heatsink tho the fan will work im pretty sure . So if i were to get a new motor and cut the comm every couple of runs, change brushes pretty often and keep my gearing not too high and not too low.....im not gonna get the heat i get right now?
Old 08-09-2005, 08:41 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_dave
Thanks! The TA04-R chassis doesnt have room fora heatsink tho the fan will work im pretty sure . So if i were to get a new motor and cut the comm every couple of runs, change brushes pretty often and keep my gearing not too high and not too low.....im not gonna get the heat i get right now?

Mod motors get extremely hot. If you run for over 5 minutes, use heavy braking, always pull the trigger full on from a dead stop, run at top end all the time, or having something binding your transmission, then you will overheat. At the on-road worlds last October, it looked like guys were running cooling pads to keep the motor wires cooler, so that they wouldn't get soo hot that they unsoldiered during the race.
Old 08-09-2005, 10:06 PM   #20
Tech Initiate

Ah so the heat im getting is natural....and happens to everyone well that explains a lot then .......and im guessing that some motors can handle heat better than others? for example.....like a high dollar handwound mod motor from like trinity is going to tolerate heat better than a cheap machinewound motor from team orion those one that are like 16 bucks??
Old 08-10-2005, 07:53 PM   #21
Tech Initiate

lol i hope im right by making that statement :P
Old 08-10-2005, 08:40 PM   #22
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_dave
Ah so the heat im getting is natural....and happens to everyone well that explains a lot then .......and im guessing that some motors can handle heat better than others? for example.....like a high dollar handwound mod motor from like trinity is going to tolerate heat better than a cheap machinewound motor from team orion those one that are like 16 bucks??

Well, yes and no. More technology is put into a handwound mod motor, so they are designed to run cooler, BUT they put out more power generating more heat.

As long as you don't smoke the motor, your probably not getting too hot. You'll lose performance at the end of the run if your not using a fan, but that doesn't matter if your just bashing. And with those 16dollar mod motors, you can gear them for top speed, b/c even if you do burn it up, it's not that expensive to get a new one.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:56 PM   #23
Tech Initiate

yea thats always a fun thing to do with cheap motors.......i have actually like you said "smoked" a motor before literally the wire insulation was cheap and it caught on fire lol this was when i got my first hobbie rc car ......and i geared a 11t at 5 somethin......thanks for the help btw