R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-12-2005, 10:17 AM   #31
Tech Rookie

Send a message via Yahoo to heftybone
Default Quit harping on international shipping costs...

You might want to live overseas before you slam a magazne for extra international shipping.

I get packages delivered to Russia through my company at $15 per kilo! Luckily, I get the first kilo for free (for professional magazines, um, like RC car magazines ), but you should have seen my bill for the extra weight during the first 4 months of this year ($661 thanks to Mom and her care packages). International shipping is expensive. Be glad most of you live in the US and get by without a lot of hassles.
heftybone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 10:34 AM   #32
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by YR4Dude
As to the method you used... a checkbook??? Any guy should know that you should NEVER use any finances that involves documentation when it comes to RC I hope you survive the audit
You r so right ! ....I usually burn all sales documents, throw everything into a trash bag and if caught, nonchantly declare that my best buddy gave up the hobby and passed his car over to me !
Ghostfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 10:45 AM   #33
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Jamescam - I will keep spot nice and warm for ya because my wife already bought me the express ticket there.

As to the method you used... a checkbook??? Any guy should know that you should NEVER use any finances that involves documentation when it comes to RC I hope you survive the audit
Actually I used a credit card. I did put some thought into it before I did it and made sure I put all the baby supplies on that credit card. I will throw out the itemized bill when it comes and she will just think we spent a whole lot on baby supplies.

I'm working my way into a senior level position in hell.
jamescam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 11:03 AM   #34
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Jamescam - I will keep spot nice and warm for ya because my wife already bought me the express ticket there.

All trips to the LHS should be treated just as you would a trip to the local "ahem" Gentlemen's Club. If there's anyway to trace these activities, you will be caught, and summarily, you will be punished.

You know what they say, "Divorce is only that expensive because it's worth it!"
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 06:53 PM   #35
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to alana07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostfit
You r so right ! ....I usually burn all sales documents, throw everything into a trash bag and if caught, nonchantly declare that my best buddy gave up the hobby and passed his car over to me !
and your best buddy keeps giving up and starting up this hobby several times a year right?!?!?! he's certainly a loaded figure....
Old 08-13-2005, 01:20 AM   #36
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I told my wife my T1FK05 kit was only $50. She thinks they are cheap because you have to put them together yourself
jamescam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 02:37 PM   #37
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by futureal
If you give it away for free it automatically devalues the newsstand and hobby store distribution which is unacceptable. Magazine revenue is valuable to hobby shops; even if they sell only 50 magazines a month at about $2.50 a mag markup, that's still a healthy bit of recurring profit.

Unlocking on multiple computers wouldn't be a problem. Just have to log in to the site once from that comp to unlock it.

It's not a perfect solution for sure, nothing will be. But it's an option...
I'll wait impatiently for the electronic version. But I still prefer paper, and I believe there must be a way to lower the shipping costs, if you think it's important. (I'd have thought that direct low price subscription was already devaluing newsstand and hobby store distribution).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamescam
I told my wife my T1FK05 kit was only $50. She thinks they are cheap because you have to put them together yourself
Jamescam. You're brilliant! I've never thought of this.
Did you know that the expensive hobbies always cost you exactly half of what you own. Your soon to be ex-wife takes half.
andsetinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 06:11 PM   #38
Tech Master

I took the cheap way.... I read one that somebody brought to the track. LoL!!
John Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 08:16 PM   #39
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by andsetinn
Xtreme RC is good, ok. But have you seen how much Xtreme RC charges for international shipping? 60$ for each year. No friendly way does it cost them 5 dollars extra to ship each mag, I mean it's already bagged and marked for USA distribution and it's not free to ship within USA, this is on top of that cost. 3 year subscription goes from 60$ to 240$. How can they convince themselves it's fair price? They can keep the magazine at that price. Have you ever heard the term "Pricing yourself out of the market"? And you're complaining that RCCATCE is ripoff at 5.99$
Go to USPS.Com and see how much Air Mail is to your country. It cost about $2.00 to ship a magazine ground here in the USA (It weighs 1lb) so Air Frieght isn't cheap.

And if you look at all forgien magazines they are expensive for a subscription.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:02 PM   #40
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to killswitch

yr4dude and jamescam:

As a manager of a descent hobby shop I will tell you how your wife will never know.
1. Any good hobby shop should offer receipt filing (ie trash it)
2. Start a bank account that your old lady knows nothing about. Have the statement sent to your work, parents, unmarried racing buddy's house (anywhere other than where your wife is) I've got a RC account that my wife knows nothing about (been that way for 9 years)
3. Women relate to deals. If you say you got it for a good deal, the back lash may not be so bad. Use words like 40% off, 50% off, buy one get one free. Next thing you know they want to go shopping and don't give a crap what you bought. I've bought stuff for regular price and told her it was a good deal. She could've cared less that I spent $200 since it was a good deal.
4. A tennis bracelet or jewlery goes a long way to a new car. It doesn't have to be fancy, just something that glitters and sparkles (it will put them in a trance like state)
5. Always use the same paint job on your bodies. They won't have a clue you paid 20 bucks for that new body or that its a new car underneath.
6. Take your pit box, lunch box, or something else other than a hobby shop bag to bring parts into the house.
7. And as a last resort this line has worked for me- "I've had that thing in the garage for months. I got it in a trade I think."

Derek- keep up the good work on XRC. I can't keep issues on the shelf long enough to read one.
killswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 05:39 AM   #41
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekB
Go to USPS.Com and see how much Air Mail is to your country. It cost about $2.00 to ship a magazine ground here in the USA (It weighs 1lb) so Air Frieght isn't cheap.

And if you look at all forgien magazines they are expensive for a subscription.
Yes, international subscriptions are expensive, and XRC charges a bit more than other RC magazines for international subscription (RCD $ 59.95, RCCA $70.95, XRC $84.99 /year). But considering that the newsstand here in Brazil charges around US$ 13 FOR EACH ISSUE (if you happen to find one, which is very very difficult), I think it's worth making the subscription.
Sedanfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 10:45 AM   #42
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedanfahrer
Yes, international subscriptions are expensive, and XRC charges a bit more than other RC magazines for international subscription (RCD $ 59.95, RCCA $70.95, XRC $84.99 /year). But considering that the newsstand here in Brazil charges around US$ 13 FOR EACH ISSUE (if you happen to find one, which is very very difficult), I think it's worth making the subscription.
I don't think the others send it airmail. If you order XRC you'll get it the month it's out here.