R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   aging tc3 repairs or just get something else (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/80103-aging-tc3-repairs-just-get-something-else.html)

phillipguru 08-06-2005 10:44 AM

aging tc3 repairs or just get something else

I have a tc3 which has a few years on it and over 50 runs through it. Currently it has front rear sway bars, bronze red springs, 69tooth spur and a decent setup. But its problems are growing.

The steering rack for some reason can notbe calibrated to dead center, its either too much steering to the right or left never 50/50.

The front diff is cooked, i've rebuilt it 3 times last week and its just dead, the front left wheel gets almost no power. The motor mount screws dont bite down hard enough, the motor pops out of place every 3rd-4th run. Although i clean it and lube it it does not feel that smooth anymore.

I could...

replace all bearing
replace front diff with a one way unit
replace motor mount screws
rebuild kit for rear diff
buy 4pc threaded shock kit
rebuild steering rack again

this would improve the car but not guarantee 100%

Should i just look into another car, maybe get a used tc3 or 4 in better shape

What are you suggestions?

IMPACTPLAYR 08-06-2005 10:56 AM

Looking at your list I'm seeing that you would spend as much as a new TC4 team kit would cost.... personally I would purchase a new TC4 kit and tear the old TC3 down, saving all of the old parts that are interchangable and in good condition.......

phillipguru 08-06-2005 11:09 AM

Yeah i look on ebay and see i can get a clean tc3 for under 100 bucks.

I may end up just getting an associated truck and go back to off road racing. These sedans seem to break to easy. Although i've very inpressed with my brother losi sedan, i maybe pick that kit up. That thing looks extremely solid and has the features i want.

hehe to many options

Illusionist435 08-06-2005 12:46 PM

the prob with the front diff is kinda weird i think if ur gonna keep the car to just replace the front diff assembly(one-ways are like 45$), i have a tc3 with about 25 runs on it and ive had some diff problems,but i just re-lube mine and it works pretty good still...

phillipguru 08-06-2005 01:33 PM

yeah the front diff really only gives power to the right wheel, unless the diff is completely locked down but even then its still not even power.

I would like the car to be able to run at the local so cal raceway but i'm sure i would get lapped in this condition. I havent raced in quite some time and would like to get back into it. The only problem i see for racing is the diff and the shocks. Right there i'm almost already 80-100 in the hole. Plus new bearing and steering rack bearing/rebuild i seems i could buy a whole new kit and just switch over my springs and anodized screws ect... and have this car as a parts car.

To many options. I really like my brother losi, that thing looks like its built like a tank but its too expensive for my taste. Parts are harder to come by.

Ill probably end up getting parts for my tc3 see how it runs if it does ok then i'll get more upgrades for there if not i'll probably go with a ae truck and start back on the offroad racing.

Illusionist435 08-06-2005 06:28 PM

ya i would suggest not rebuilt that diff again and just getting a new one and for the shocks the threaded racing shocks will work just fine, i think its worth it but the choice is urs just gotta think about which u like more offroad or onroad

phillipguru 08-07-2005 01:07 PM

I think i'll pick up the diff and rack bearing and various other parts i would need to get the tc3 track ready for around a hundred or so bucks then i'll pick up the rc10t rtr kit for 200-220 bucks as well. Then i can have 2 completely separate cars and radios. Omg i'm getting back into r/c, when i was younger me my bro and dad used to race we had like 9 cars 5 radios dozens of pack and motors and chargers. All the tidbits and pinions you what not. fun fun stuff, i definitely wanna race so i think the tc3 can satisfy the racing spirit and i can run the truck in stock mains for fun

Illusionist435 08-07-2005 04:34 PM

sounds good to me =P

phillipguru 08-07-2005 10:42 PM

well i just completely tore apart and cleaned the tc3. The steering rack bushing are completely scored and shot.

the front steering block on the left where cvd connected is shot the bearing feels somewhat seized which i think burnt the front diff out, which i just rebuilt and was clean and after 1 run the balls are burnt and rings scored.

I examined the diff bearing and they feel 100% but the drive shaft bearing on both ends, 3 of the 4 are gritty even after 20 minutes of cleaning. I see that a few of the diff housing holes are stripped and well as the motor mount holes...which is probably why with a modified motor it pops out of place every few runs. front right shock has a blown ring, no wonder it always feels different...

so my 80ish in replacement parts just went to 150 in parts

my brother just took his virgin xxx-s graphite out to socal .... so jealous i think i may just need a new tc4 instead of replacement so many parts, and when you start needing new chassis parts and full bearing sets.... its time to retire the car

too many runs in the street for fun is what did it, to much wheel spin, too much stress on the diffs and cvds

phillipguru 08-07-2005 10:44 PM

well i just completely tore apart and cleaned the tc3. The steering rack bushing are completely scored and shot.

the front steering block on the left where cvd connected is shot the bearing feels somewhat seized which i think burnt the front diff out, which i just rebuilt and was clean and after 1 run the balls are burnt and rings scored.

I examined the diff bearing and they feel 100% but the drive shaft bearing on both ends, 3 of the 4 are gritty even after 20 minutes of cleaning. I see that a few of the diff housing holes are stripped and well as the motor mount holes...which is probably why with a modified motor it pops out of place every few runs. front right shock has a blown ring, no wonder it always feels different...

my brother just took his virgin xxx-s graphite out to socal .... so jealous i think i may just need a new tc4 instead of replacement so many parts, and when you start needing new chassis parts and full bearing sets.... its time to retire the car

too many runs in the street for fun is what did it, to much wheel spin, too much stress on the diffs and cvds

phillipguru 08-07-2005 11:03 PM

Illusionist435 08-08-2005 03:03 PM

ive never heard of anything like that happening before even on an aged car..dude there is a major problem enternally but im not sure what it could be

phillipguru 08-08-2005 06:58 PM

whoa it tripled my last reply how wierd... anyways

yeah u know i think it was just to many 14t double runs in the street

I think it saw maybe 5 batt charges of track time then 25 on the street with crap tires then storage for a year or more then more street time.... too much stress on the bearings and diff, not to mention debris in the steering rack killing the bearing. Even though it was psychotically rebuilt and mantained, its not a street toy. Next car is track only, and since i'm 15 minutes from socal rc 7 bucks to practice all day isnt bad at all.

This guy in canada wants to buy the car i hope for parts, 80 for every part i have including after market

Illusionist435 08-08-2005 07:07 PM

i dont think that would be why i run my tc3 in the street all the time and run it on the track too...been through at least 20-25 runs on the edge and still havnt had a hint of trouble other then having to relube my rear diff.

phillipguru 08-08-2005 07:23 PM

really , how odd, i have been into rc and rc racing since 6 years old, i have raced 12th road course 10th ovan 10th road course, 4wd sedans, off road buggy and truck, gear box foam road course, outdoor track indoor, have probbably about 100+ actually race days under me, plus alot of tamiya off road bashing and for the life of me i dont know why almost every part on my tc3 failed.... i have always had associated products as the race vehicles and al of the lasted for years....

i can see the that street driving would kill the steering rack bushings but i dont know why the sealed parts died, the only thing i can possibly tell it might be is the ront left wheel bearing is somewhat seized and that sent the back lash to the front diff which fried and put more stress on the rear diff

oh well its time to bury it, what are you thoughts for the next one if i were to go onroad

im going to pit for my brother this week at the race track, so i'll see what is still popular for onroad racing if its all sedan i may go offroad, i may just get another tc4 team kit, but if they have a solid 2wd road course class those are so much more fun adn stupid fast