R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Looking for best RTR touring car for under $300 (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/800277-looking-best-rtr-touring-car-under-%24300.html)

protegem92 03-15-2014 05:33 PM

Looking for best RTR touring car for under $300

Hello I am new to the Forums. I'm not sure if what im about to ask has been asked previously but i am quite picky. I want to get into touring and am looking for a good touring chassis RTR, Shaft driven and 4wd. I don't mind if it only comes as a kit but i would prefer if it comes with all the electronics and has a good amount of upgrade options. I was doing my research and thought the Tamiya tb-03 was a good choice. Help me out guys, I would like opinions before making my final decision.

protegem92 03-16-2014 06:21 AM

Help?

mrjudd77 03-16-2014 06:28 AM

Why are you looking for shaft driven? Most of the competitive cars are belt driven and for the best value for money I would recommend SpecR. They are a kit and come as a roller only, but this will allow you to get the right setup for the style of racing you will be doing. I will also recommend 3Racing Sakura XI Sport. The XI is available from RCMart with motor, speedy, servo and radio. and will suit a first time racer.

http://www.rcmart.com/3racing-sakura...7&currency=USD

Add to this a 2s Lipo and maybe another motor (for your class of racing) and a body and you are set. This leaves room in your budget to upgrade parts or order spares.

Teamhotrods 03-16-2014 07:45 AM

Want to race? Bash? Do you have a radio?

What are your goals other than the magical 300 mark.

SteveM 03-16-2014 07:56 AM

There are very few RTR 10th scale touring cars available let alone shaft drive ones. I only one I know of is the Apex Touring V-type by Associated. Associated used to offer the TC4 touring car in a RTR package but I think they discontinued that when they brought out the Apex.

Serpent used to have the S411 in a RTR package, but this is a dual belt chassis. There are the HPI Sprint 2 kits in brushed or brushless versions as well as the Vaterra RTR kits to consider.

Integy sells two different shaft drive touring cars as well, the RTR T1 and kit only T2 that look interesting.

JLock 03-16-2014 10:47 AM

Basically, that animal does not exist in the r/c world anymore. The cheapest route to go is the AE TC4 for $150 and then piece together the rest of the stuff to get it running. However, you will still spend more than $300 to get everything you need to get going. Yes, you can get the Apex version of the TC4, but you will need to upgrade some things on it especially if you are going to race it or put a more powerful motor in it. Sorry to say this, but if you are looking to be cheap about this hobby, you are not going to get very good quality stuff. If you are looking to shell out a bit more money, you will get stuff that will keep you happy because it is better quality and breaks less. Just my opinion..........

Teamhotrods 03-16-2014 12:26 PM

You can race the Tc4 in VTA or USGT if your track has either. If you had a radio then you might be able to squeak by the 300 mark.

The shaft cars are still competitive and win some of the major races but the belt cars are more advanced for high end racing.

Girls dig shaft driven cars...

Dukes2004 03-16-2014 01:58 PM

I would recommend the TC4 club racer here, but you will still need to spend some money on radio/servo/motor/esc. You will also need to upgrade the CVD's immediately!

DBM 03-16-2014 02:40 PM

Rcmart.com sell the 3Racing Sakura Xi Sport as a combo pack with electronics for $179 iirc. I'll see if I can find it. Ah, here it is:

http://www.rcmart.com/3racing-sakura...cPath=420_1417

Ad a body for $16, and a lipo from hobbyking usa for $17. Might need wheels and tires too. Should be right around $300. Lots of upgrades available for the Sakura so it can grow with you.

I have just gotten into the hobby and was set on the Sakura xi sport, but ended up going with the Spec-R R1 pro spec instead.

Dukes2004 03-16-2014 02:50 PM

Another option to think about are the HPI Sprint 2 series. They seem to be good for the money.

protegem92 03-16-2014 05:07 PM

Thanks everyone, I would just like to bash and possibly get into racing but im new to the hobby and started with a 2wd slash vxl. I love the thing but i was always interested in touring and want to get into it.
No real reason for shaft driven, just assumed less maintanace. If Belt driven is the way to go then i'd reconsider. What is the benifits of Belt driven?

I don't have a radio, I still have stock electronics on my slash and the reason i wanted a rtr is because i wanted to get the car on the road asap. Looks like i have to stop being picky and be realistic. What is a good chassis for a bigginer? i seen the spec-r was recommended a couple times. any others woth looking at?

SteveM 03-16-2014 05:40 PM

If you have the tools and skills to build, then the best value in a 10th sedan has to be the Hobbyking TD10 which sells for $65 and comes with tires, inserts and rims. This is the 3Racing Sakura Zero S but now re-badged.

stephenianjames 03-16-2014 08:35 PM

I second the Turnigy TD10 from Hobbyking for sheer value. I don't have one myself however know a couple of guys who had the 3 Racing Sakura S (which is the same car) and were very happy with it. Pretty tough and cheap parts, and goes well.

Hobby king also have the Turnigy trackstar motors and ESC's, the nanotec lipos and chargers, which are all good and cheap, so you could do a bulk order and hit your budget target quite reasonably.

Good luck.

Steve

Wetterthebettet 01-09-2015 04:42 AM

I agree the tc4 is a great car

Roelof 01-09-2015 07:21 AM

For bashing a shaft is a better choice, belts are fragile and need more maintenance. Maybe a LRP Blast TC10 is something?