R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-19-2004, 11:24 PM   #1291
Tech Adept

Default orion core

I find the stock brushes are the best for performance verses life and yes if you dont have any serations left they are not much good.

hope this helps
Gary
KIMCOM RACING Driver #1
RC8B : REEDY 121 : Nitro-X fuel : Spektrum Radios
gkp5569 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 03:42 AM   #1292
Ooj
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to Ooj Send a message via MSN to Ooj

has anyone run trinity 4499 brushes in an orion core? How is the performance and wear? I recently got a new core for free but the brushes need changing....ts just that I have a whole heap of these from using monster stocks for so long..
Ooj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 08:09 AM   #1293
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Would 767 Reedy brushs work well with the stock core motors? What is the part number for stock team orion core stock brushs?

Last edited by yodace; 01-20-2004 at 08:16 AM.
yodace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 08:15 AM   #1294
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TexRacer

Trinity,Putnam brushes DO NOT work well in the following motor's.
Orion Core's,Peak Hellfire's,Reedy MVP's and Integy Atlas Stock motor's.They dont seem to like the different makeup that these companies use on their comms compared to Epic(Trinity)motor's.
All those motor's I listed are made at the same factory as Epic's are made at another.This could be the reasoning.
Also why those other companies magnets are 10x's better.
Personally for offroad and onroad reason like the Reedy 766's and reedy 767's for the Orion Core's and Peak hellfire's.If running sedan or 1/12th scale with them it's best to due to BIGJIM/Reedy Brush trick to them.If you need this info email me.
If you wanna run them full I like 766's on both sides for truck on small to medium sized tracks.I like a 767 on the + and a 766 on the - for small to medium sized Offroad buggy,Sedan and medium sized fast flowing offroad truck.
For BIG fast tracks I like the 767's on both sides.
To make them come alive try the BigJim brush trick in sedan.Makes for some nice motor's that will be pulling most other motor's around the track when it comes to the infield.
Old 01-20-2004, 08:18 AM   #1295
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
[i]
To make them come alive try the BigJim brush trick in sedan.Makes for some nice motor's that will be pulling most other motor's around the track when it comes to the infield. [/B]

How do, I find the BigJim's brush trick? I forgot to mention I have been using this motor for offroad buggy racing.
yodace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 11:28 AM   #1296
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Here ya go.... www.bigjimracing.com
MVP's ROCK !
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 11:59 AM   #1297
Tech Adept

FYI Laydown brushes on a standard sized comm ( aprox. .270") create dead shorting on the comm segments 6 times per revolution of the motor. This shorting tends to cause exsessive amp draw that does little or nothing to improve output power, it basicly just causes effciency to drop. To emiminate or reduce the shorting, you can trim the brushes so they are not so wide. Typical laydown brushes are like .192" wide or soemthing like that. .175 is about as wide as they really need to be, so triming .015" is a good place to start. I think Big Jim's MVP trick brush is like .150" wide at the face once both sides are trimed. There is absolutely no reason to go any smaller then .150" and I find .175" typicaly works a little better for me, and I only do the trailing edge...

So which side of the brush is the trailing edge? take a look at this and if you have further questions ask.

http://www.wiltse.net/pdf/tet.pdf

How do you trim them? You can use a small file if you don't have anything else... or if you have a Dremel tool with a cutoff wheel you can use that... Or if you like fancy gizmos, you can go find a brush factory type thing for $80 or so and use that... I do mine by hand with a Dremel tool most of the time, a file the rest of the time, because I don't have a fancy jig...
DynoMoHum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 11:20 AM   #1298
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Whats the best serrator?

Does anyone have any suggestions as to which serrator is the best? I dont do any cuts just re-serrate. Thanks G
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 11:37 AM   #1299
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to trackdesigner71 Send a message via Yahoo to trackdesigner71

I was reading the Big Jim site and when is Reedy going to release their new stock motor to replace the MVP? That motor has been around for a good while and it seems to me that all they are releasing are batteries
trackdesigner71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 12:40 PM   #1300
Tech Adept

Big Jim had been working as a contractor/consultant to Reedy for some time, and had been saying for about a year or more that Reedy was going to relase a new motor that would be better then any other stock motor on the market and basicly introduce a lot of advancements in technology, etc...

Big Jim no longer has any affilation with Reedy. By his own comments has no idea if/when any new Reedy products will be relased.

I've stoped hoping for a new Reedy stocker for some time now... if/when it happens I'll buy one just to see... untill then... well it's all vaporware so to speak.
Old 02-09-2004, 12:43 PM   #1301
Tech Adept

serrators... well... I've never had any luck re-serrating brushes. My motors typicaly run just as well with no serrations as they do with re-serrations... Fresh brushes with fresh factory serrations do seem to work quite well... Even so, a good motor will run good even after the serrations are gone.
Old 02-09-2004, 02:27 PM   #1302
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to etzkev
Default P2K2 Pro

Hey all,

I was just wondering what the best spring set-up is for the P2K2 Pro? I just got it, and wanted to try it out in my touring car, as I have a smaller, tighter track. I have it in my TC3. I am running the Trinity E brushes (same as Reedy 767's).

Thanks,
etzkev
etzkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 02:31 PM   #1303
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brian McGreevy Send a message via Yahoo to Brian McGreevy

etzkev,

E brushes are NOT the same as 767's...FYI. 767's will be easier on the comm and generally a bit more torque, 4499's (E brushes) will be much harder on the comm and usually more RPM. I'd stick with 767's.

Try red springs all around and 767's.
USVTA Member #211

Support Formula SAE - get kids into engineering!
http://motorsports.illinois.edu/
Brian McGreevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 02:37 PM   #1304
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to etzkev

Thanks for you help Brian. Haha, I'm sorry I was wrong...but you didn't need to jump all over me! No hard feelings. Would you say the Red Springs would do good with the 4499's...or something else?

Thanks,
etzkev
etzkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 02:43 PM   #1305
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brian McGreevy Send a message via Yahoo to Brian McGreevy

Hey no biggie man, just trying to make sure you got the point

Yeah try reds with those too, or Red (+)/Green (-).
USVTA Member #211

Support Formula SAE - get kids into engineering!
http://motorsports.illinois.edu/
Brian McGreevy is offline   Reply With Quote