Community
Wiki Posts
Search

STOCK motor forum

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2003, 03:09 PM
Tech Addict

Default Putnam

Hey popsracer... you have always been really helpful so here is a question for you.

I race with mainly trinity MS motors, and am fairly good at getting them to run well, however I don't own a dyno, so its pretty much tuning in the dark. I am good at polishing my bushings, arm shafts, aligning brush hoods, spring combos, etc.

I currently run Reedy 766 slotted brushes, with reds on both sides. My motors are always fairly fast, but I want to be faster! What change do you recommend would give me the most benefit? I hear that the Putnams are the way to go! Blues? or Greens? (shunt) with red springs?

Where is the cheapest place to buy putnams from?

Thanks for any tips
Old 10-30-2003, 07:54 PM
Tech Elite

Default MS Brushes

holycow;

I thought that my Monsters were pretty good until I tried some Putnam's. Tested them on the Dyno and found just over a 1 watt improvement in power and a noticable increase in track performance over ANY other Brush.
For a comparison, I recently put some Trinity #4503's in one of my MS's and it was a serious dissapointment.

Try KT Hobbies

and R/C-4-less

Green+/Blue- with Trinty Red/Red springs for a TC.
Old 10-30-2003, 08:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Ever tried Team Hurricane Gold Brushes? I was very happy with 767's until i tried these....VERY noticeable HP boost. Pretty easy on the comm and great power all the way around.

www.teamhurricane.net
Old 10-30-2003, 11:13 PM
IH
Tech Adept

Default Yokomo brushes

Has someone tried one of these brushes:

YOKOMO YM-ZTSR T-MAX SR STAND UP HI REV
= Hi revolving type (top speed)

YOKOMO YM-ZTST T-MAX ST 23T MOTOR
= Hi torque type (acceleration)

IH
Old 10-31-2003, 09:50 AM
Tech Adept

Sands: That's me. On that same track, I ran a rollout of 1.15" with purple springs on a Monster Stock in the quals and then ran a rollout of 1.24" in the main with a P2K2 with purple/red springs. My car was not slow by any means. I was able to pull any car off each corner and down the straights. A couple driving mistakes landed me in forth place, but my car was clearly a rocket all day. A rollout of .8" is way too low. Try at least 1.15". The only significant difference between your XRay and mine is the spur (I ran a 124) and the pinion (I ran anywhere from a 35-38 throughout the day). Also, I usually run my tires around 57-58mm. I also run the 1.77 low ratio pulleys, so our internal ratio is identical.

Last edited by Shiloh; 10-31-2003 at 09:03 PM.
Old 10-31-2003, 03:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default Re: Yokomo brushes

Originally posted by IH
Has someone tried one of these brushes:

YOKOMO YM-ZTSR T-MAX SR STAND UP HI REV
= Hi revolving type (top speed)

YOKOMO YM-ZTST T-MAX ST 23T MOTOR
= Hi torque type (acceleration)

IH

I think that those are Motors from Yokomo..

SR and ST
that brush compound is very close to a 767 Reedy...but in a stand up brush

-Dave
Old 11-01-2003, 02:41 AM
Tech Adept

Can you suggest good reliable equipment to check the torque/rpm/etc of electric motors? Thanks!
Old 11-01-2003, 02:54 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

A dyno
Old 11-01-2003, 06:18 PM
Tech Initiate

When using a turbo charger running the motor, what is a good number for the amp draw? Is higher amp drawsually more power?
Old 11-01-2003, 07:43 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Tweaked my motor a bit and it was money. Here's the setup:

Monster Stock:

Brushes: Putnum greens
Springs: purple
geared at a 7.2 FD

Orion Core Stock:

Brushes: Putnum Green +/ Putnum blue -
Springs: Red +/ Green -
geared at a 7.0 FD

Tight carpet track that is very flowing. Putnum brushes rule!!!!!

-Sushi Boy
Old 11-01-2003, 08:25 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Sushi Boy
Tweaked my motor a bit and it was money. Here's the setup:

Monster Stock:

Brushes: Putnum greens
Springs: purple
geared at a 7.2 FD

Tight carpet track that is very flowing. Putnum brushes rule!!!!!

-Sushi Boy
After all the spitting chips on the last page it seems quite a few people prefer purple springs on MS's for tight tracks... it's all personal preference, everybodies setup is different.

P/S - Pops I went from harder rear springs to the same springs all round on my car(as you suggested) and it now handles alot better then it did. Combined with a body change and a compound change my car is now much faster and easier to drive. Thanks for the help.
Old 11-01-2003, 10:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Interesting topics... I agree that the P2K2 has more torque than the monster but in touring car a good monster geared right runs faster lap times. I am not sure why this is... I have some therories but no hard facts. Pops... I havent had much luck with Putnums on my Monsters but on my CE dyno purple/red makes the most power and torque with either Hurricane golds or 767's. Its funny how totaly different brush/spring combos can end up to be equally fast on the track... I guess you just have to go with what works for you and dont be afraid to try something just because someone posts that it wont work.
Old 11-01-2003, 11:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
phantom F315 brushes

Are phamton F315 brushes same as the reedy 767?

Currently have a Core RS running with F315 brushes for +/- and red springs for + and green for - , with a 6.8 gear ratio on a Yokomo SD. Can anyone suggest a better brush and spring combo for the above motor?
Old 11-02-2003, 07:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Danjoy you mean Fantom.lol.No biggy.
Being the Core is a mirror copy of the MVP except for the arm giving it some different characteristics do the MVP brush trick on it.Narrow the face of the brush to be the size of a standup.Just do the face not the whole brush.lol.It wouldnt stay in the brush hoods.You only wanna narrow the face of the brush and down say like half the size of this blinking deal that shows me where to type.lol.
Nice motor's though.
On your debate guys with Monster's or P2K2's its simply HOW big the track is and WHERE it's faster.SSOOOOOOOO many guys judge by the straightaway and thats BAD.But to have a monster pull harder from a DEAD stop is a LIE.I dont care HOW it's setup.
So it depends on how sharp the corners are and if your carrying speed due to the Torque of a Monster being so high in the power band.For ONROAD you guys are right it IS a hard motor to beat.But if the track is SMALL and TIGHT there is NO way a monster can beat other cans.In offroad it's really hard due to more weight and more stopping and so on.
But if your on a medium track thats flowing.It's Monster HANDS DOWN.Have any of your monster guys played with the Atlas Integy cans?
Old 11-02-2003, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Re: phantom F315 brushes

Originally posted by danjoy25
Are phamton F315 brushes same as the reedy 767?
Yes, I've been told by Troy Schroeder(who owns Fantom)that their F315's are in fact Reedy 767 brushes, & the same also applies to Lightspeed's 3910's.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.