R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-18-2002, 06:54 PM   #421
Tech Addict

Wink

I had several gearing suggestions to try, I run outdoors for 4 minutes on Asphalt normally and run 6.35 to 1. The track where I ran 5.69 was huge and with only having to accelerate from a standing start once, it could be geared taller. I didn't run the Tribo drops on the comm as I thought I might sacrifice revs, which would have been bad...As it happened, I could have geared even higher due to the happy shiny comm and brushes

Rumour is, we will be changing to 5 minute races this year.
When the rebuildable stock motor rule was passed last year, the Mod TC rules were adopted as a base for the class(other than the Motor-Must be ROAR approved stock) but the race time wasn't changed, hence we run 4 minutes.
I expect that I'll be closer to the ratios recommended to me from the USA when we change.

I have narrowed brushes in all my MVP's, I bought a cutter (like Jim's Integy one) to use but I'm waiting for a replacement wheel for it. I had some spare brushes cut previously so there's no hurry. I basically bought the Motor after reading the Black book on About.com and an LHS had some selling cheap. Everyone else was running the PEAK Spitfire and I wanted to be different.

As it turns out, the only car to have beaten my MVP powered Yokomo SP (overall) at 2 previous large race meetings was a PRO 3 running an Orion Chrome RS. The Hellfire has just come out here and P2K's are only available "Untuned" but there are none of the popular alternative brush springs available(Reverse Overheads). The GM3's are getting regularly smoked here too.

Last edited by Simon K; 03-18-2002 at 06:57 PM.
Simon K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2002, 07:32 PM   #422

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Simon, the Chrome RS is the spitfire

Might want to pick up one of those P2Ks, tuned or no. Just put 767 or 4499 brushes on it, align the hoods, and you'de be good to go.

Speedo
Speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2002, 08:44 PM   #423
Tech Adept

i got a p2k2 from fantom, after having run 7 packs with fantom silver brush, the comm is still shiny and it only needs a comm pen to clean. i have geared it 78/26 on my yoke sp and planning to raise 1 tooth higher. i have hihger top end compared to other yoke sp with same gearing but of different motor!
maski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2002, 06:55 PM   #424
Tech Addict

Wink

Josh,
Like I didn't know that already

The Chrome motors were available in Auckland, everyone down here runs the Spitfire due to Kelvin being able to supply.
I will hopefully get a chance to try a P2K in the next few weeks, to be honest the MVP's I have seem to be as quick as anything else around.
Old 03-19-2002, 07:00 PM   #425

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Just making sure
Speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2002, 09:53 PM   #426
Tech Addict

Hope to try a #766 and #767 brush combo in the next few weeks, see how that pans out.

I posted on the main board, a question about rebuilding your stock motors. I was talking to a friend who said most people just buy a new motor when, for example, the comm is too small to cut. Now I'm looking at buying a new arm for my MVP so I can keep running it at club days, rather than use my now fully broken in BJ MVP.
Any input on this subject?

Hey Josh,
Old 03-19-2002, 11:39 PM   #427
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike F
BJ's MVP should be geared at 6.92 or 7.2.
What gearing do you recommend for BJ's p2k2?

Thank you.

rcruv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2002, 07:56 PM   #428
Tech Addict

Hi Simon, its Mike speaking, from Chch by the way. The prostock motors are very interesting aren't they! Now that the Hellfire is out it will be interesting to see how that performs.

I have found that the Spitefire motor can do many races without cutting the comm or changing brushes. My motor did 18 runs and was still running excellent when I got the comm trued (just before the Southern Clash). There was no noticeable difference on the track and still went very well (1st in Prostock). The brushes have just worn past their serrations so there was no point changing brushes!
ixlr8nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2002, 09:09 PM   #429
Tech Addict

Wink

Hey Mike, well done on the Southern Clash, glad the weather held out. It rained on us in N.P just as prizegiving started

I've heard that the Hellfires should be tuned like the MVP, eg. Cut brushes and aligned hoods, not sure about springs though.
Haven't seen one go yet, I'm going to try a P2K soon to see how it compares to a modified MVP.
I have some of the peak brushes in my older MVP. They are quite easy on the comm, I think I prefer the Reedy #766 still.

Had a look at some goodies last week round at Kelvins. The Hellfire and Carrera labels sure look pretty now, more so than my older Auroras.

You bought any HV's yet?
Old 03-21-2002, 06:11 PM   #430
Tech Addict

Yes, I was using HV's in Duniedin. They were very good indeed. Although my car was not the most powerful off the line (6.2 gearing) I felt the car had good power and torque coming out of corners and down the straight.

X Ray Eyes was using a Hellfire at the Southern Clash. His car was just as fast as mine for a lap.

Last edited by ixlr8nz; 03-21-2002 at 06:15 PM.
Old 03-21-2002, 06:43 PM   #431
Tech Addict

Wink

Was X Ray using his SP in pro stock?

Glad to hear the HV's cut the mustard, I've got two that will be assembled soon....
Old 03-21-2002, 08:04 PM   #432
Tech Addict

I'm pretty sure he was using his Yokomo. By the way, we were racing 5 minute races so I'm sure I would have had an advantage over the last few laps.
Old 03-21-2002, 08:20 PM   #433
Tech Addict

Wink

Was he using his 2400's, not HV's?
Did you notice a difference from the cells you used previously(3000H wasn't it?) and the HV's?
How'd you find the 5 minutes, everything get roasty hot or not much different?
I guess we're waiting til it gets changed at the AGM before adding the extra minute.
Old 03-21-2002, 09:07 PM   #434
Tech Addict

I'm not sure which batts he was using. My car wasn't getting particularly hot as it was a cool day and the Spitfire doesn't seem to get too hot anyway.

I'm not sure how the HV's compare to the H's. I know they should be better but I have not done any real testing so it is hard for me to say. You have to remember we are talking about fractions of a second in lap time difference. I only ran those 3000H's at the Nats as I borrowed them from X Ray Eyes.

I have just raced on the new Ruapuna track last weekend. Very fun indeed. Its not too big for electrics, you still have to let off on some corners. I was racing my F1 as they have a few F1's racing at their club (8 at the last meet)
Old 03-24-2002, 07:21 AM   #435
Tech Master

Unhappy Fantom MVP

Hi all,
I'm having "problems" with my Fantom MVP, i'm running it on my TA04, Schulze Eagle 3 esc and some 3k unmatched cells. The motor has caps on it and a diode.

I am able to hit like 7 mins plus plus of run time with a 6.5:1 FDR, but the comm is in bad shape just after one run. The brushes seem ok, these are the stock reedy brushes I guess. There is no noticeable power loss after 5 packs, but by then I went to true the motor.

Any idea's what could be the problem? I'm running the stock springs on it too, the next time I go to the track I will be trying slightly lighter, equal strength springs.

Got recommendations for variuos FDR ratios but they still burn the comm and the smell, and heat, is getting to me... oh i run mod on the same car, different packs, no problems with the comm

Thanks for any advice.

Regards,
Alvin
Alvin is offline   Reply With Quote