R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-02-2007, 02:58 AM   #2656
Tech Regular

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiD CoRNeR
Hello guys, im new in Rc hobby and im really enjoying it so far. I got myself a stock C027 motor and with it i played around using my MM motor master. Its so cool using the quick test with all the motor data showing up like RPM and AMP draw. Now i just wondered what is/are effects of the amp draw in a stock motor performance.

Changing brushes and springs gives me diferent readings on the RPM and AMP draw. How can i interpret its reading. hope someone an shed light on this matter for me. Thanks for your reply.

David
the higher the amps are the more power (generally)
you need the right amount of both power rpm and torque ( a balance)
hth t.k.
stephen hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 09:34 AM   #2657
Tech Regular

how much amp's should a stock motor draw, and is their a such thing as to many amp's? these number's are at 2 volts with no fan attached.
bosfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 11:58 AM   #2658
Tech Regular

tom235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 06:29 PM   #2659
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to nikkiesteban

who's here already tried running cam23t motor??
nikkiesteban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 06:32 PM   #2660
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to TL_XXX-S_racer

Well today, after a fresh cut and new brushes. At 500 sec. my CO27 pulled 9.4 amps. even with a fan. Was fast. Run F brushes and pruple and red springs. The more amp draw the better, but the motor might fade alittle toward the end of the run.

Chris

Team Corally

Superior Hobbies
"Supplying all your r/c racing needs"
TL_XXX-S_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 07:01 PM   #2661
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

More amp draw just means the motor is less efficient and will run hotter when geared the same. I tune my co's to pull about 6 amps after break in at 2 volts without a fan. i have found out that when the motor pulls less amps, you can actually gear up and have a faster car
kartermdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 07:09 PM   #2662
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartermdb
More amp draw just means the motor is less efficient and will run hotter when geared the same. I tune my co's to pull about 6 amps after break in at 2 volts without a fan. i have found out that when the motor pulls less amps, you can actually gear up and have a faster car
same goes to me. i tune my motor and achieving a 5-6.5 amp draw at 2volts. I find it better specially in long flowing tracks. Temp is cooler even if i gear them for more RPM. base from my experience.
curious mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 02:25 AM   #2663
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I am going to try and take a crack at this, I may be wrong but from my experience: I use amp draw to gear a motor. Lower amp draw=higher gearing, higher amp draw=lower gearing. When breaking in our motors at 2v w/o a breakin fan, they are unloaded. So they are spinning their maximum rpm's at whatever amperage. For tc's you want the amperage to be higher because they pull more amps than say a 1/12th scale. The reason being that if you look at amp steps on a dyno readout you will see that as the amp draw gets higher the rpm's get lower. So you want the motor to pull more amps at its maximum rpm. Giving you more rpm's out of the corners and such. At the end of a straight when your motor is only pulling 10 amps or so, with a motor that pulls 10 amps unloaded, you are getting maximum rpm's. With a motor that only pulls 6 amps unloaded you are not getting your maximum rpm's yet. However this is subjective. If your motor isn't efficient enough at higher amp draws then it will do you no good (it will rob you of power, causing you to draw more amps). With 1/12th scale however I look for less amp draw from my motors. Good range in my experience, tc: 8.5-9.5. 1/12: 6-7. Again, I may be wrong but this is what has worked for me.
trilerian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 04:39 AM   #2664
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

What do most of you guys run for brush/spring combination on a CO27?

I am using the Trinity Pro versions, just recut the comm and put in F-Brushes and using the springs that come with them. But I have heard and seen people using red/green, red/red, purple/purple etc...

Wanting a good overall combination of turque/hp and at least last 4-5 races.

Thanks,
CRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 07:32 AM   #2665
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Purple purple trinity springs. Reedy lay down cavity brushes. Trinity teflon shims.
For longer wear I had good luck with 767 purple, green. But it really didnt work inside, but work good out side.
Thats what I ran in the heart of america, except I ran slotted trinity brushes but I cant remember the #. My box stock FK04 TQd. The mains were rained out. But that mother was fast. QC2 speedo. Monster motor.

Last edited by UN4RACING; 02-05-2007 at 08:40 PM.
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 09:18 AM   #2666
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRASH

I am using the Trinity Pro versions, just recut the comm and put in F-Brushes and using the springs that come with them. But I have heard and seen people using red/green, red/red, purple/purple etc...

Thanks,
I run a Purple +, Red - on a medium sized track and my car is very consistent with power the whole 5 mins.
Johnny Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 07:48 PM   #2667
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRASH

Thanks,
Red/green with trinity 4499 brushes works with 767 also. Track layout with lots of cornerring with a long back straight stretch. good burns, with regulated temp of 130-154 deg. Tried it also with all red, same brushes though a little less punch on exiting.
curious mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 09:45 PM   #2668
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Hate to kill the topic; but, using my new Novak 13.5 motor (with a sintered rotor), I continually equal my best lap times (achieved with a "killer" EA stock motor) over-and-over without any rebuilds. Gotta think that NorCal tracks are leading the way towards BL.

And ROAR needs to listen...Because our Region 12 carpet races will allow BL in Stock and 19T.

Stock brushed motors RIP. OK to flame me; but, the future is HERE.

And a pair of Associated B6 buggies for turf and clay tracks.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 10:35 PM   #2669
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Bill
Hate to kill the topic; but, using my new Novak 13.5 motor (with a sintered rotor), I continually equal my best lap times (achieved with a "killer" EA stock motor) over-and-over without any rebuilds. Gotta think that NorCal tracks are leading the way towards BL.

And ROAR needs to listen...Because our Region 12 carpet races will allow BL in Stock and 19T.

Stock brushed motors RIP. OK to flame me; but, the future is HERE.

More RTR mentality. We are in this hobby to build tinker ect...........

I have nothing against brushless, but I think it is a joke to run brushed with brushless in stock. Let the two stay separate and let us choose which to run.

RTR lets race a faster brushless against stock brushed motors, that sounds fair for all of the racers..........NOT.
Tire Chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 10:54 PM   #2670
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilerian
I am going to try and take a crack at this, I may be wrong but from my experience: I use amp draw to gear a motor. Lower amp draw=higher gearing, higher amp draw=lower gearing. When breaking in our motors at 2v w/o a breakin fan, they are unloaded. So they are spinning their maximum rpm's at whatever amperage. For tc's you want the amperage to be higher because they pull more amps than say a 1/12th scale. The reason being that if you look at amp steps on a dyno readout you will see that as the amp draw gets higher the rpm's get lower. So you want the motor to pull more amps at its maximum rpm. Giving you more rpm's out of the corners and such. At the end of a straight when your motor is only pulling 10 amps or so, with a motor that pulls 10 amps unloaded, you are getting maximum rpm's. With a motor that only pulls 6 amps unloaded you are not getting your maximum rpm's yet. However this is subjective. If your motor isn't efficient enough at higher amp draws then it will do you no good (it will rob you of power, causing you to draw more amps). With 1/12th scale however I look for less amp draw from my motors. Good range in my experience, tc: 8.5-9.5. 1/12: 6-7. Again, I may be wrong but this is what has worked for me.

Of course your amp draws are higher 8 to 10 amps with heavy spring rates, the 12th are ALWAYS have less amp draw cause you dont put heavy springs on them..A motor that draws 2amps will run the same as one that pulls 10 ..its how you build them that makes the difference ..Spring rate will always change the amp draw of ANY motor.

Rule of thumb small track less spring rate, Big track more spring rate.. It might sound wrong but thats electric motors for ya...Bitter
CAlbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote