R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-09-2007, 10:09 PM   #2581
Tech Regular

Jolly,

Like heater coils only the coil part glows cos each coil is heating each other... this is similar to the magnet and the arm too... if the can is very hot it will cause the temp in the com ie wire hotter too... so cooling the can will help the motor but thats becasue it is helping to keep the arm cool by not reflecting more heat back in... and that will contribute towards a bit coller to everything else... In order to make magnets to lose magentism by heat you'd really make that baby red hot, which doesnt really happen in RC racing... it is not enough to ruin it.

One of the reason we run fat motor/battery wires to keep resistance as low as poss and it will not heat up either...

My 2 pence worth...

Laters
sonneteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 05:53 AM   #2582
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell
Default Sonnetter

Mags in 27t/19t spec are so badley made with low quality materials they are really heat sensitive & any heat in the mags makes them lose punch
The magnetic field is vastley reduced by the heat they lose there push pull affect by turning the arm around ,thus it leads to loss of punch & get up & go

My 1.00 Worth (mines worth more )

cya ltr alligator
MR JOLLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 07:13 AM   #2583
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (97%+)

on that durtrax brush cutter does it just llike cut the bush or does it serrate the brushes thanks and does it do a good job
yeaklet4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 07:10 PM   #2584
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR JOLLY
Mags in 27t/19t spec are so badley made with low quality materials they are really heat sensitive & any heat in the mags makes them lose punch
The magnetic field is vastley reduced by the heat they lose there push pull affect by turning the arm around ,thus it leads to loss of punch & get up & go

My 1.00 Worth (mines worth more )

cya ltr alligator
Dont believe you...

I have done an experiment where I measured the gauss from a can and raced it for 12 full 5 minute runs (this was back in summer) and measured it again and there was no significance change in measurement.... bosh!
Old 01-12-2007, 07:27 PM   #2585
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonneteer
Jolly,

Like heater coils only the coil part glows cos each coil is heating each other... this is similar to the magnet and the arm too... if the can is very hot it will cause the temp in the com ie wire hotter too... so cooling the can will help the motor but thats becasue it is helping to keep the arm cool by not reflecting more heat back in... and that will contribute towards a bit coller to everything else... In order to make magnets to lose magentism by heat you'd really make that baby red hot, which doesnt really happen in RC racing... it is not enough to ruin it.

One of the reason we run fat motor/battery wires to keep resistance as low as poss and it will not heat up either...

My 2 pence worth...

Laters
Surely if this was true the BRM magnet zappers would have no effect

Or is it possible that the magnets do lose some of their magnetic field over time.?

Skiddins
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 07:34 PM   #2586
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to VooDooPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeaklet4
on that durtrax brush cutter does it just llike cut the bush or does it serrate the brushes thanks and does it do a good job
kinda serrates it too... but the gooves are wider and thicker.
Old 01-12-2007, 07:41 PM   #2587
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauri
alright i'm confused. some people say lighter springs generate more rpms and siffer gives more torque while others say the opposite. which is it? can someone please explain why?
There was a thread with a long discussion/argument over the effects of brush springs Brush Spring Discussion
As was said then, personally, people were recommending blue springs etc to get the most out of it but my car seemed sluggish, shoved some purples and /or reds in and it was much better out of the corners.

Try experimenting and see what you think, then come back and tell us.
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 02:09 AM   #2588
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddins

Or is it possible that the magnets do lose some of their magnetic field over time.?

Skiddins
I am not saying magnet zappers have no effect, infact a Zapper can do several things, "top up" weak magnets (ones havent been zapped manufactured properly), realign the magnet centres or poles.

Repeated zapping a magnet will not make it stronger... it will reach its max gauss and thats it.... If you zapp a magnet it may sometimes raise its gauss from its natural state (capacity), for a period of time you should in theory get a (tiny) bit umph... but with time that extra bit will go away...

From some experimenting that reverting prcess seems to occur wether the motor is run or not. Yes correct a motor magnet should lose some flux over long periods of time but in my experience that is longer that the life time of the motor (comm)... proof I still have a bunch of cans with perfect strong mags in them...

To me, it will take some serious heating demag a magnet to break it down and heat generated from simplying running the motor havent done that to any of my motors yet...
Old 01-13-2007, 02:17 AM   #2589
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddins

Skiddins
Yeah come on Skiddins we together can take him on !!!!!!
Bish Bash Bosh

Magnets Magnets

Was your Gauss meter working properly though Remo ???,it it was the same measurement before & after run !! try swiching on !! that helps
light on nobodys Home
MR JOLLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 02:19 AM   #2590
Tech Regular

re brush springs....

they are there to keep the brush on the comm... if you have a perfectly round com then a lighter pressure can be used.... howeverI find my selection of springs depends on also how revvy is the motor...

I tend to use Green/Green on my Demon Monsters but I do skim regularly and I always bed the brushes in before I race... it is a revvyish motor but not as much as my Demon CO27.

For Demon CO27 I have found to have better results to use a harder combo, Purple+ and Red- because the motor revs so high you will need that extra tension to heep the brush making good contact on the comm, or it will just generate revs and not much in the torque department... like of you use blues....

for motors like P2K2 I have used Green Green and Red Green, anything heavier will kill it.... havent had blues on them when i had the motor...
Old 01-13-2007, 02:27 AM   #2591
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR JOLLY
Yeah come on Skiddins we together can take him on !!!!!!
Bish Bash Bosh

Magnets Magnets

Was your Gauss meter working properly though Remo ???,it it was the same measurement before & after run !! try swiching on !! that helps
light on nobodys Home
Jolly next time i see you you will get a slap...
Keep sucking those pills mate... as I havent got a clue what you aare on about just then... maybe its too early for you.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:23 AM   #2592
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Default zap my 2cents

I found that zapping does not make a "good motor better" but it helps a bad motor but didn't change the #'s to above the "better motor" bottom line is if u were to buy a zapper No if u know someone with 1 get a few done for a few bucks better to save the cash and buy new motors they come out with a new 2 or 3 every year .....2006 co27 ran at the iic race people were twisting the arm so at the 2007 novak every A main motor had to be teched ..well I have 12 co27's soon to be up for sale because I can bet it will be replaced soon or the next big race it will be a hand out motor and I'm sure it will not be the co27 .....
Old 01-14-2007, 03:52 PM   #2593
Tech Initiate

Default Narrowing brush faces?

Just wondering what benefit would narrowing the brush faces, give?
for example on big jim's site he sells these brushes.http://www.bigjimracing.com/pictures/140brushes.gif

would they give you higher rpm?
Freewheelin4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 04:20 PM   #2594
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

That technique was specifically for the mvp motor. BJ always said that narrow brushes with an mvp would keep up with anything out there. Funny how you never see anyone with an mvp in their ride.
sharkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 04:21 PM   #2595
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)
Send a message via MSN to Dasupacat1

Which brushes make the most power in order from highest to lowest? I heard it was the F brsuh.
F
putnam green, blue?
Any others I forgot?
Dasupacat1 is offline   Reply With Quote