R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-26-2006, 11:40 PM   #2506
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Guo Chean Send a message via Yahoo to Guo Chean

may i know what is the different of the regular stock motor compare to pro tuned motor? is that pro version come with dyno tuned, different brush, and different brush spring? what else i miss out? thanks
Old 12-27-2006, 10:16 PM   #2507
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Go to the web sites for those who make and/or tune these motors and you will see a general list of what they do. I think a pro tuned motor is worth it unless you enjoy tuning your own. Even then, based on all the regular and pro tuned motors I've bought, in the future I'll buy pro-tuned from either a boutique tuner or local pro.
swopemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 10:49 PM   #2508
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

among other things, pro-tuned stock motors would have the following altered over stock ones:
- brushes
- springs
- shaft polished
- comm trued
- magnets zapped?

and dynoed with results ..
Old 12-28-2006, 12:04 AM   #2509
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to BigDaddyT

I think the dyno run and testing is a huge value that people often underestimate - any reputable motor tuner uses that phase to weed out any "duds" that come through their process.

You can do a lot of the other tuning steps at home if you have the gear, and it's actually pretty fun, but the one thing that most guys don't have access to is dozens of motors to compare the results against.

In our shop, only motors within a pretty small tolerance actually make it into "A" grade shipping motors that we sell. I would imagine most of the other shops are the same.

You pay a bit of a premium price, but you can be relatively assured that you're getting a good motor, because the bad ones get binned long before the labels go on.
BigDaddyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 04:14 AM   #2510
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell
Default Dyno sheets

They are handy to read (if you know what your looking for)
no 2 stocks are the same you can get revvy monsters aswell as torquey ones so the dyno sheet comes in to it`s own
this then allows you to know how to gear the motor right straight off

Plus buyers like the Numbers game` aswell
MR JOLLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 07:18 AM   #2511
Tech Apprentice

one of the little things i do to get the best performance with my stock motors is, get it on the motor run on full wack, and whilst running apply very little presure with a hudy tool on the brush, if it revs louder and at a higher pitch they u may apply a harder spring or vice-versa, also you can relieve tension from the spring to see if it revs higher, if so you can apply a softer spring.... HTH... bearing in mind this is if u want more RPM
luke humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 07:31 AM   #2512
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

I have seen this also trackside
A very good Mod driver decided to have a go at 19t & 27t racing
he done he`s motors like this
ran them @2.v then pull the shunt out of hood while listening to the revs , then he goes softer on spring till it starts spluttering (too lesser tension
then goes with this
nearly most of the time it was green/green & some cases he used make the green spring even softer by giving it less tesion on - side

down fall of this , you need to run it in properly before racing ,other wise it will start to arc alot & burn up quickley due to spring bounce
MR JOLLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 05:40 PM   #2513
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)

Anyone using the 766 and getting performance in the co27/rotm motors? I have some of the 766 brushes and in testing between them and, say the f-brush, for instance the amp draw is alot lower for the 766. I'm assuming the 766 makes good torque but not alot on top. Using a pulsar to check amp draw. Seemed that putting a small cavity in the 766 helped in amp/revs but it really does'nt seem like a killer brush so far... Just gear up or what? Anyone that gets these to work lmk what you do to them and what springs.

Powered by Hotwings, Rolling Rock, and the urge to race toy cars...
nf_ekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 05:58 PM   #2514
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Z.Hallett

use F's. they are a better brush. i really didnt like how the 766's felt in those motors.

-Zac
Z.Hallett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 06:07 PM   #2515
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nf_ekt
Anyone using the 766 and getting performance in the co27/rotm motors? I have some of the 766 brushes and in testing between them and, say the f-brush, for instance the amp draw is alot lower for the 766. I'm assuming the 766 makes good torque but not alot on top. Using a pulsar to check amp draw. Seemed that putting a small cavity in the 766 helped in amp/revs but it really does'nt seem like a killer brush so far... Just gear up or what? Anyone that gets these to work lmk what you do to them and what springs.
767 do have a lot lower power band, They do pull less amps. For those we tend to pull 1 tooth more... They work best with purple + and Red-.. Hope this helps...

Team Associated-Express Motorsports-Trinity-Reflex Racing-A Main Hobbies-ProtekRC
John Tag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 06:54 PM   #2516
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to CarlosG.

When tuning a Epic X-stock, what are we looking for rpm or torque( noload or no load), and how does this relate to amp draw for 4 cell 12th scale stock? Any help would be greatly appreciative.
CarlosG. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 09:23 PM   #2517
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TexRacer

nf_ekt -How long did you let the 766's break in???
Reason I ask is they take a VERRRRRYYYYYYY long time to break in.
I will literally find a bad arm and use it to JUST break in Reedy 766's.
They take 3-4 times longer to break in than a regular brush like 767's or F Brushes.
I actually water dip the bad motor that I use to break in brushes just so they will break in faster.

CarlosG-In 1/12th scale your obviously not looking for that much torque.Your not suppose to be DRAG RACING from corner to corner my friend.lol.
On the Epic X I like Reedy 766's with a Hole in them.Mike Reedy Prefered this brush in 1/12th scale racing and if you take the time to break in those brushes they are very nice.Look ABOVE...
Run 766's on both sides with a 3/32nds hole in them and break them in with green springs on both sides for about 8-10 minutes.
Do this for about 2-3 minutes 2-3 times.Run for 2-3 minutes and then stop letting the motor AND brush cool.When cool hook it back up and run it again for 2-3 minutes.When done skim the comm and run it for 1-2 minutes to help reshape them.
If the track is REALLY BIG or FLOWING you can also try a Green +,Blue -
Hope this helps guys.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:09 PM   #2518
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 113 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexRacer
nf_ekt -How long did you let the 766's break in???
Reason I ask is they take a VERRRRRYYYYYYY long time to break in.
I will literally find a bad arm and use it to JUST break in Reedy 766's.
They take 3-4 times longer to break in than a regular brush like 767's or F Brushes.
I actually water dip the bad motor that I use to break in brushes just so they will break in faster.

CarlosG-In 1/12th scale your obviously not looking for that much torque.Your not suppose to be DRAG RACING from corner to corner my friend.lol.
On the Epic X I like Reedy 766's with a Hole in them.Mike Reedy Prefered this brush in 1/12th scale racing and if you take the time to break in those brushes they are very nice.Look ABOVE...
Run 766's on both sides with a 3/32nds hole in them and break them in with green springs on both sides for about 8-10 minutes.
Do this for about 2-3 minutes 2-3 times.Run for 2-3 minutes and then stop letting the motor AND brush cool.When cool hook it back up and run it again for 2-3 minutes.When done skim the comm and run it for 1-2 minutes to help reshape them.
If the track is REALLY BIG or FLOWING you can also try a Green +,Blue -
Hope this helps guys.
After a longer break-in they started showing better results, at first they really sucked but now looking stronger. You got a spring combo for them in TC that you like? I will give them a try, and probably gear up a few Oh yeah how many runs before you think they will drop off? I always liked the F-brush simply because they kept getting better. If the 766 is similar I may use them.