R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-23-2006, 10:30 PM   #2491
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

pretty much depends ont he club u race at. some will allow (if you let them know in advance). others .. a big NO NO.

btw .. what's the orientation of the slot cavity on the brush face?
( <- if that's the concave brush surface, should the slot be from (up to down)?
Old 12-23-2006, 11:41 PM   #2492
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to L.Fairtrace

Bob I would disagree. Im still trying to get 10 amps out of my motors. Don't worry about fading either, you can finish within .3 of your best lap if your car is good. I can speak for most of our team that higher is better within reason.

180 and 360 Raceway. Best on the East Coast. Take your pick
L.Fairtrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 03:11 AM   #2493
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

Okay my turn (uk racer) rubber/carpet
ICE charger/motor run in @1.7-2.0v

co27t i run 2-3 teeth bigger on pinion then a monster
i have my co27 pull around 8.5-9.5 @2.0v no more ,if amps to high motor get hot to quickley & it fades during the race ,so your lap time drop off
Also board basher will incinerate the motor with there constant crashing
Also the co27t motor are the most inconsistent motor from one to another i have come across 1 will be revvy another would be different again (even on track)

c027t ,767`s or F-line w/1mm centre hole purple/purple spring (if you can drive) if you can`t drive red/red

X` motor red/neg/purple + 767`s or F-lines with horizontal slot
i get around the 9a @2.0v with these & they fly
i gear these inbetween the monster & the old ROAR

my perssonal choice is the ROAR like this very much (everywhere indoors/outdoors, tight track ,open track i change the spring combo`s & gearing to suit

never get mine to good like EA`s ,but since it would cost a fortune to keep sending them back across the pond ,i learnt from EA & do it myself , if i get stumped i`m on EA`s Earhole to find the answer

since lot of you guy`s run Foam`s compared to the UK (we are rubber/carpet)
gearing & spring setups are a tad different
MR JOLLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 09:56 AM   #2494
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to VooDooPH

hi there! i'm pretty much a Co27 fan (so far the only motor i race on). just a few questions on tuning the motor...

1. do i set it up for rev (red/green) or torque (purple/red)? is there a way to determine which of the 2 i should go with on a particular track?

2. on brushes, i've tried 767, trinity 99s and f-brush. so far i like the 99 and the f. anyone tried using the orion sprint brushes? how long do they last on the motor (on a wide open sweeping track)?
Old 12-25-2006, 03:38 PM   #2495
Tech Apprentice

Can someone please tell me how do I gear a monster, for a t2 on foam tires for carpet.
al jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 08:05 PM   #2496
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Barry
Mike thats the old school of thought...I don't run a motor if it's pulling more than 8 amps....usually that means it will over heat and fade. Sure it will be faster for 2 minutes but then you will see your lap times fall off. You can thank todays batteries for having to detune your motors LOL
I was basing this on my experience at our local track with club drivers, regional pros and national pros (Mo Denton). Mo said he'd get 12-13 amps on his good motors. Most of the other guys got in the 6-9 range. Less than 5-6 was usually a dog motor. This was earlier this year, asphalt with 3800's and CO27. Maybe "old school" was last year or maybe Mo was just kidding me to make me sweat I guess from what I gather there have been about 4 generations of batteries this last year

Actually I never thought my motors faded, although maybe they do... I figured it was the batteries. My best lap is usually about #5.
swopemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 08:08 PM   #2497
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Fairtrace
Bob I would disagree. Im still trying to get 10 amps out of my motors. Don't worry about fading either, you can finish within .3 of your best lap if your car is good. I can speak for most of our team that higher is better within reason.
yeah,especially with F brushes.they pull between 9-12 for me.
J Concepts
protc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 08:37 PM   #2498
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

Amp draw equals RPM.....Motors that pull more amps will require a smaller pinion than motors that pull lower amps. Ive had 6 amp motor be the fastest thing on the track!! Its all in the gearing of each paticular motor.

EA
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 08:48 PM   #2499
Tech Adept

Anyone use a motor cooler? It really seems to me that it really helps give the motor more overall power( torque and rpm) and there is no fading what so ever. The best part I have found is that your motors last a lot longer in overall life too. I agree with EA that sometimes you don't have to have the best amp draw motor for it to be fast on the track. It is all in the gearing . With a motor cooler it can allow you to gear up one tooth also and not have your motor come off super hot. My motors usually run at 130- 135 degrees F and if you gear it up one they will run ~140. Ea after each run do you still spray out your motor with motor spray and put like four Zubak speed juice drops down each hood for TC. I have been doing that and it works great!!
Old 12-26-2006, 04:39 PM   #2500
eg
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I agree with you that gearing is everything. Can you share your methodology on how you attain the correct gearing for a specific track and a specific motor at Xamps, Xrpms, etc.? Maybe an example of what you do when you go to a new track for the first time and how you translate you dyno information into gearing for that track and motor. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
Amp draw equals RPM.....Motors that pull more amps will require a smaller pinion than motors that pull lower amps. Ive had 6 amp motor be the fastest thing on the track!! Its all in the gearing of each paticular motor.

EA
eg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 05:52 PM   #2501
Tech Adept

Light springs = less pressure and faster spool up
Heavy springs = more pressure and higher rpm

This is just the most recent things ive heard.

Its seems like everyone has a different thought
on it.

Of course im talking motor springs.
giantbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 08:02 PM   #2502
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

the reason I said over 8 or so is not great is because of heat. If you are able to keep the motor cool enough then 12 is fine. I know that my stock motors last summer were all tuned down to 8-9 so that there was no difference in the performance from lap 1 to the last lap. This was in the extreme heat too....where your pit table is 110 degrees. Larry its funny cause Schreff is the one who taught me that a while back
Old 12-26-2006, 08:05 PM   #2503
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to L.Fairtrace

Well he probably taught you that before we figured out how to get them to run with these new batteries. Contemporize man

180 and 360 Raceway. Best on the East Coast. Take your pick
L.Fairtrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 08:08 PM   #2504
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

hey you know me...I will try anything. and to think....I just tuned a bunch of motors down LOL....oh well....such as life. now I have pleanty of loaners/practice motors.
Old 12-26-2006, 11:07 PM   #2505
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by eg
I agree with you that gearing is everything. Can you share your methodology on how you attain the correct gearing for a specific track and a specific motor at Xamps, Xrpms, etc.? Maybe an example of what you do when you go to a new track for the first time and how you translate you dyno information into gearing for that track and motor. Thanks.
I have found that what ever gear I run at my local track is 1 or 2 teeth up or down where ever I go like the novak race my local track is 3/4 the size of S&N's and I may gear it the same or add 1 tooth depends on the layout